Author Topic: Jim Blackwood  (Read 1716 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Jim Blackwood
« on: March 09, 2021, 06:11:03 PM »
Jim Blackwood, a great man and true friend passed away today. Mr. Blackwood was the executive Director of TASO for a number of years in the 90s and 2000s, and the Coordinator of officials for the Western Athletic Conference between 1999 and 2012. He was a believer in people. He allowed his staff to enjoy what they did, and empowered them to perform at the highest levels. After his retirement from the WAC, he became the National Director of Replay for the NCAA.
His contribution to officiating can not be measured.
He will be missed.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Jim Blackwood
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 07:28:06 AM »
Jim was a good man. May he Rest In Peace.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 08:57:05 AM »
The world of officiating lost a hero with Jim's passing.  Rest in peace, Jim.   tiphat:

Offline Archie

• FAN REACTION: +6/-4
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 09:34:08 AM »
Jim will always be a cherished part of my life. A great leader in officiating, but an even greater friend and a true gentleman. I loved Jim and will miss him dearly.

Offline Getting Fat

• FAN REACTION: +5/-6
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 08:14:09 AM »
Thank you for sharing Elvis. Not what I wanted to read today.

I'm a better person for having the privilege of spending just a little time with him.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 08:20:07 AM »
The funeral service for Mr. Jim Blackwood was conducted on Saturday, March 20, at a beautiful church in Mesquite, Texas. Following a reading of Mr. Blackwood's obituary by a long-time friend and one of his former WAC staff members, scripture was read, and hymns were sung. Then, to everyone's surprise, a gentleman dressed in full TASO football official's uniform entered the sanctuary from the rear, and began to explain that he had been assigned to officiate a game, and had been directed to this church! As he strode up the aisle, he explained that his name was Dan, and he was (is) a 50+ year TASO veteran who had been recruited by Mr. Blackwood into the Dallas chapter of TASO that many years ago, and Mr. Blackwood had been his mentor. Some years later, their relationship was somewhat reversed, when Dan actually became Mr. Blackwood's pastor (at which point he donned his pastoral robe over his uniform). He then went on to tell numerous stories, laced with much humor, of how Mr. Blackwood had helped so, so many people be the best they could be, whether that was serving high school football, college football, NFL football, or in just living life. While certainly humorous and entertaining, it was also quite dignified and appropriate.

The service was attended by scores of football officials, active and retired, from all levels of football, and from across the country. Included were a current 2-time Super Bowl referee; a retired Super Bowl referee; another current NFL referee; other current NFL position officials; many active NCAA officials; many retired NCAA officials; active and retired NFL and NCAA officiating supervisory personnel; and many, many of Mr. Blackwood's friends not associated with officiating. It was wonderful to see so many that traveled so far to offer their respect to a man that not only assisted them in officiating, but simply offered his friendship to each and every one. His wife and all of the other members of his family were appreciative and grateful for the outpouring of respect and affection shown by all of those in attendance.

He loved us. And we loved him.

Rest in peace, Mr. Blackwood.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:23:12 PM by ElvisLives »