Author Topic: Options(privileges) of coin toss  (Read 3928 times)

BobwGDFFL

Options(privileges) of coin toss
« on: December 13, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »
Does anyone know what the option "defer" entails (or is it even an option) for the winner of the pre-game coin toss?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Options(privileges) of coin toss
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »
The team that wins the toss can defer their options to the second.  What this does is allows the other team to choice how the game will begin.  The choices are kick or receive, or which side they'd like to defend. 

An example:

Team A wins the toss and defers.
Team B chooses to receive.
Team A then has to decide which side of the field they'd like to defend.

Second half options are now with Team B:
Team B chooses to receive
Team A then has to decide which side of the field they'd like to defend.

In windy games I have seen this scenario
Team A wins the toss and defers
Team B chooses to defend the south goal
Team A chooses to receive

Second half:
Team A elects to receive
Team B elects to defend the south goal.

What's important to note in these examples is that no matter what choices are made for the first half, the second half options must be chosen again.  There was always a myth that fans believed that the team that kicks in the first half was guaranteed to receive in the second half.  That is typically what happens but it is the teams that decide who kicks based upon who has the options.  If Team A wins the toss and chooses to kick for whatever reason, Team B gets the second half options and they will likely choose to receive, which it is obvious that they are receiving both halves.

mbyron

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:11:27 AM »
Does anyone know what the option "defer" entails (or is it even an option) for the winner of the pre-game coin toss?

Many fans don't realize that both halves of a football game begin with a choice of kicking, receiving, or end of the field. Whoever chooses first in the first half chooses second in the second half.

So one option if you win the toss is to defer choosing first to the second half. Then your opponent must choose first in the first half, and generally chooses to receive. The toss winner then chooses a goal to defend.

Offline APG

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »
Many fans don't realize that both halves of a football game begin with a choice of kicking, receiving, or end of the field. Whoever chooses first in the first half chooses second in the second half.

So one option if you win the toss is to defer choosing first to the second half. Then your opponent must choose first in the first half, and generally chooses to receive. The toss winner then chooses a goal to defend.

I think the NFL only recently allowed the winning team to defer...I think it became an option in 2007 or 2008 and the reasoning was to be more in line with how it's handled under NCAA rules.

BobwGDFFL

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:14:52 AM »
Thanks everyone... your replies definitely cleared up the issues that I've been encountering out on the field. Our league is in holiday vacation mode right now, but I'm sure I'll be back to get help with other issues when we start back up. Great site!!! pHiNzuP