Author Topic: 2020 Rule Changes are out  (Read 26706 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: 2020 Rule Changes are out
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2020, 03:09:01 PM »
Whether you think this a worthwhile idea, or not, it "is what it is, and a new rule to follow.  Since the whole "spiking" idea became a reality, smart officials have been seeking, and usually getting, an indication from the QB that the intent was to spike, so they could be better prepared and on guard to reduce the "unexpected".

Same common sense applies, maybe even more important with this revision. Reminding the QB what he needs to do, and a little bit of what should NOT be done, is still a good idea and falls under the blanket of "Preventive Officiating". The OBJECTIVE remains to IMMEDIATELY stop further action, which allows the game clock to continue running, it's NOT to be creative and/or deceitful nor allow anyone to gain some foolish UNEARNED Advantage.

IMMEDIATELY is still a critical element, and is STILL determined EXCLUSIVELY by the field game officials.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:11:20 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: 2020 Rules Changes - NFHS Website Post
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2020, 10:41:08 AM »
Would have liked to see helmet contact/targeting as a POE. I feel like NFHS went from leader in discouraging these acts a few years ago to now clearly being behind NCAA as far as consequences for those hits and being one or two rule tweaks away from being behind the NFL.

I also saw A LOT of ignoring the new excessive contract on defenseless players rule, especially in playoff games. I feel like a lot of the old guard, "that's football  hEaDbAnG" types just decided they weren't going to call that rule the way NFHS wanted.

I feel both of those would have been better options than this formation thing and the ridiculously broad "sportsmanship."
Legal/Illegal Helmet Contact wins the silver medal in POE history with 12 : 2017,13,12,11,10,06,04,96,94,86,85,1983

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2020, 03:15:27 PM »
Not just sounds. 

I'm curious what the signal will be.

Prior to 2020
9-5-1d...Using disconcerting acts or words prior to the snap in an attempt to interfere with A's signals or movements (15 yards, S7-27)

Effective 2020

7-1-9...Using disconcerting acts or words prior to the snap in an attempt to interfere with A's signals or movements (5 yards, S7-23)

SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline theride

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2020, 08:43:01 PM »
S-7 S-19

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2020, 08:02:03 AM »
Prior to 2020
9-5-1d...Using disconcerting acts or words prior to the snap in an attempt to interfere with A's signals or movements (15 yards, S7-27)

Effective 2020

7-1-9...Using disconcerting acts or words prior to the snap in an attempt to interfere with A's signals or movements (5 yards, S7-23)

S23, which is currently "Failure to wear required equipment"?

Is there a link to the actual wording of the new rules somewhere, or just the press releases?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2020, 03:30:28 PM »
Not til the books come out NCwing- its going under 7-1-9 as a new rule.  Don't know if they'll just copy 9-5-1 with a new penalty enforcement or take the time to revise.  Ralph may know.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2020, 08:05:07 AM »
Not til the books come out NCwing- its going under 7-1-9 as a new rule.  Don't know if they'll just copy 9-5-1 with a new penalty enforcement or take the time to revise.  Ralph may know.
I do......
  PUBLICATIONS SCHEDULE

RULES BOOK                4/20
POWERPOINT               5/22   (0n line)
CLOCK OPERATOR        3/20   (on website)
LINE-to-GAIN              3/20           "
SIGNAL CHART            3/20           "
RULES POSTER            4/20
SAFETY POSTER           4/20
PRESEASON GUIDE      5/20
CASE BOOK                 5/18
OFFICIALS MANUAL     5/27

My understanding is the wording will remain the same, only relocated in the book to put in with the 5-yarders.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:55:31 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2020, 01:19:14 PM »
Is there a reason why we don't get the actual wording of the new rules right away? I assume that when you discuss and vote at the meeting, you vote on the exact rule change -- not just some vague idea that a follow up committee has to implement.

There's the major press release with rule changes and quotes, written journalistically, and there's the complete list of rule changes here with "Rationales"  -- but why not, in that complete list of rule changes, do you not just include the actual wording of the new/revised rules that were approved at the meeting?

You don't need to include the whole rulebook, but if there's a new 25 second play clock exception that requires a new rule designated 3-6-1a(1)f, why not just include what 3-6-1a(1)f is?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2020, 04:58:36 PM »
Is there a reason why we don't get the actual wording of the new rules right away? I assume that when you discuss and vote at the meeting, you vote on the exact rule change -- not just some vague idea that a follow up committee has to implement.

There's the major press release with rule changes and quotes, written journalistically, and there's the complete list of rule changes here with "Rationales"  -- but why not, in that complete list of rule changes, do you not just include the actual wording of the new/revised rules that were approved at the meeting?

You don't need to include the whole rulebook, but if there's a new 25 second play clock exception that requires a new rule designated 3-6-1a(1)f, why not just include what 3-6-1a(1)f is?

There is a separate editorial committee that takes the approved changes and updates all the places in the rule book and case book impacted. The rule change proposals aren't that thorough although you are asked to list all the places you think are impacted. The risk here is the editorial committee could unintentionally word something other than intended like what happened last year with the "4 in the backfield" rule change. Rule writing is harder than most of us realize and should not be rushed.

Offline KWH

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2020, 04:04:11 PM »
S23, which is currently "Failure to wear required equipment"?

Is there a link to the actual wording of the new rules somewhere, or just the press releases?

Failure to wear required equipment is no longer a "foul" rather we simply send the player out.
As such, 
Signal 23 will be relabeled in both the Rules Book and the Game Officials Manual as "Disconcerting Signals"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:10:48 PM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Online bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2020, 08:50:28 AM »
Failure to wear required equipment is no longer a "foul" rather we simply send the player out.
As such, 
Signal 23 will be relabeled in both the Rules Book and the Game Officials Manual as "Disconcerting Signals"

I like it - kind of like Arena Football using the "invalid fair catch" signal as "Illegal Defense", since there are no fair catches in Arena Football.

Checked the NCAA book, and S23 is only used for
1) When players use an illegal jersey number (like zero) or when 2 players play the same down with the same number.
2) Wearing cleats that are more than 1/2 inch in length.

Online GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2020, 11:55:21 PM »
I do......
  PUBLICATIONS SCHEDULE

RULES BOOK                4/20
POWERPOINT               5/22   (0n line)
CLOCK OPERATOR        3/20   (on website)
LINE-to-GAIN              3/20           "
SIGNAL CHART            3/20           "
RULES POSTER            4/20
SAFETY POSTER           4/20
PRESEASON GUIDE      5/20
CASE BOOK                 5/18
OFFICIALS MANUAL     5/27

My understanding is the wording will remain the same, only relocated in the book to put in with the 5-yarders.
Ralph:
Do you have the date for publication of the "Simplified and Illustrated"?
I find this more helpful than any of the others.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 07:44:36 PM by GA Umpire »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2020, 07:59:20 AM »
Ralph:
Do you have the date for publication on the "Simplified and Illustrated?
I find this more helpful than any of the others.
I assume it would be published around the same time as the case book and official's manual. I also assume that Brady will remain with the Patriots and the Red Sox will not win the World Series. My assumptions are not always correct.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »
I think you're gonna be batting 1 for 3 on these predictions :)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »
I think you're gonna be batting 1 for 3 on these predictions :)
Did you not notice the "NOT" on the World Series prediction  ;D . While Mr. Brady may be floating trial money bags, Mrs. Brady likes her current home. It is said that Mrs. Brady is worth more than Mr. Brady. :!#

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2020, 08:55:42 PM »
Did you not notice the "NOT" on the World Series prediction  ;D . While Mr. Brady may be floating trial money bags, Mrs. Brady likes her current home. It is said that Mrs. Brady is worth more than Mr. Brady. :!#
I thought they sold there home.

Offline tstearns1

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2020, 05:32:05 PM »
I have a question on our playoff test out here in Colorado related to the 40 sec play clock on defensive player injury. (2020 rule change)
Here's the test question:
If a defensive player is injured and after the clock is stopped an official notices an offensive player is also injured, the following will occur:
1. Team B will decide what to set the play clock to.
2. The play clock will be set to 25 seconds
3. Team A will decide what to set the play clock to.
4. The play clock will be set to 40 seconds.
I can't find anything in the case book that shows a scenario like this.
My gut tells me the answer is 4. (Play clock will be set to 40 seconds)
Answers 1 and 3 don't make any sense.

Any input or feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 06:23:59 PM by tstearns1 »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2020, 07:21:28 PM »
I have a question on our playoff test out here in Colorado related to the 40 sec play clock on defensive player injury. (2020 rule change)
Here's the test question:
If a defensive player is injured and after the clock is stopped an official notices an offensive player is also injured, the following will occur:
1. Team B will decide what to set the play clock to.
2. The play clock will be set to 25 seconds
3. Team A will decide what to set the play clock to.
4. The play clock will be set to 40 seconds.

When in doubt, it's best  to trust, and go with your "gut".

(According to the NFHS 2020 Preseason Football Guide, NFHS Clarifies Play Clock Situations): "If a defensive player must leave the field due to an injury or an equipment-related issue as in 3-5-7e or 3-5-10, the play clock will be set to 40 seconds.
In the event both an offensive and defensive player are involved the game officials will determine for which the game official's time out was initially taken.  If the offensive player was noticed first, the play clock will be set to 25 seconds; otherwise it is set to 40 seconds."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 07:23:02 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline KWH

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2020, 04:49:09 PM »
When in doubt, it's best  to trust, and go with your "gut".

(According to the NFHS 2020 Preseason Football Guide, NFHS Clarifies Play Clock Situations): "If a defensive player must leave the field due to an injury or an equipment-related issue as in 3-5-7e or 3-5-10, the play clock will be set to 40 seconds.
In the event both an offensive and defensive player are involved the game officials will determine for which the game official's time out was initially taken.  If the offensive player was noticed first, the play clock will be set to 25 seconds; otherwise it is set to 40 seconds."

While the Preseason Guide is intended to provide guidance on Rules Clarification, occasionally the Preseason Guide is in error.
Unfortunately, this is one of those occasions.

Please review:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mFR3vfgmlbTeLeHUsWmyhLijU3YzOUyS/view?usp=sharing

Right, wrong or indifferent, please note that the ruling provided in the Preseason Guide was revised at the SRI meeting for simplification purposes.
I would expect a Case Book Play in future years.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:53:35 PM by KWH »

Respectfully Submitted;

Offline juxone

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
  • Always seeking a deeper understanding.
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »
Question on about a supposed rule change.. was listening to a discussion on timing after a score and before the Free Kick. In the discussion there was the assertion the time changed from 60 second to 2 minutes. I have searched the rule book for this change but cannot find it. Anyone have insight or add some clarity?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2020, 07:36:43 PM »
This may be a temporary, state specific, Covid-19, related change.  It won't be in the rulebook and is not permanent.

There are some issues with hydration for players and officials.  Some jurisdiction are recommending officials bring their own water and some are requiring separate containers per player.  Extending intermissions and time-outs allows everyone to get hydrated.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:24:28 PM by HLinNC »

Offline juxone

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
  • Always seeking a deeper understanding.
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »
 :thumbup "This is a temporary, state specific, Covid-19, related change.  It won't be in the rulebook and is not permanent."

GREAT Thanks!!

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2020, 07:53:16 AM »
Question on about a supposed rule change.. was listening to a discussion on timing after a score and before the Free Kick. In the discussion there was the assertion the time changed from 60 second to 2 minutes. I have searched the rule book for this change but cannot find it. Anyone have insight or add some clarity?
It's in a document released by the NFHS called, "2020-21 NFHS Football Rules Considerations." But it doesn't specifically mention the time interval between scores and kickoff. It addresses charged time outs:
o CHARGED TIME-OUTS AND AUTHORIZED CONFERENCES (Rules 2-6-2, 3-5-3, 3-5-8)
▪ A single charged time-out may be extended to a maximum of two minutes in length.