Author Topic: Radio Headset with Button on belt  (Read 497 times)

Offline Goodcall

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Radio Headset with Button on belt
« on: October 12, 2021, 09:39:19 AM »
I spent the last couple of years looking for a Push to talk button that I could put on my hip, like the D1 guys have, for my radio.  Unable to find one, I made one.  I figure I'm not the only one out there looking for one of these so thought I would share.

Video demonstrating use can be found here - http://goodcallofficiating.com

You can purchase here- https://goodcallofficaiting.square.site/

Thanks for your support,
Matt

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +7/-11
Re: Radio Headset with Button on belt
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 10:03:50 AM »
This seems like a very interesting and useful device. I wonder why a belt-mounted button is not standard on PTT headsets.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +103/-50
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 10:29:49 AM »
I found one from another source and can attest that these work very well.  I got tired of trying to find the button up near my neck.  Now it's simple, just go to my belt and press the button and speak.

Offline Goodcall

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 10:40:56 AM »
This seems like a very interesting and useful device. I wonder why a belt-mounted button is not standard on PTT headsets.

Simply put, cost.  I could have shaved off about 5 dollars if I would have gone with a non waterproof ptt button but just adding a ptt button to a headset increased manufacturing cost by 400%

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +107/-35
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 02:21:32 PM »
Do you ship to Europe? I've been looking for a belt button PTT and have had little luck, and I think there are several officials in my neck of woods who would be interested.

Offline Goodcall

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 02:47:20 PM »
Do you ship to Europe? I've been looking for a belt button PTT and have had little luck, and I think there are several officials in my neck of woods who would be interested.

Please email me and we will set something up.  matthew@goodcallofficiating.com

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF official.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 02:53:03 PM »
Quite a few of us in the UK use something like this:

https://www.retevis.com/2-pin-earpiece-mic-finger-ptt-headset-for-kenwood-retevis-baofeng-radio/

I attach the finger PTT to one of my belt loops. Works well.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +108/-15
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 03:50:08 PM »
Had this discussion with ElvisLives in a PM a year or two ago.

Here is the e-mail discussion I had with Michael Gaston of coderedheadsets:

Questions: Answers in RED

1)  Is the puck an actual PTT button? Yes, the puck is a PTT. The MOD (Modular series) might be a better fit, see link below.

https://www.coderedheadsets.com/Tactical-Headsets-s/188.htm

2) How does the puck mount to the body?  Is their a belt clip, Velcro strap, other mounting device? Our PTTs have clips for use on a tactical Molle vest, but can also clip to a belt. The Pro series also has Velcro under the removable clip so you can attach it to a Velcro patch on a tactical vest. We also have a belt style PTT in our Modular series with auxiliary PTT button (1.4” diameter). We are just now adding it to the website, it is ideal for referee use, see pictures attached.

3) Some officials do have Motorola brand radios requiring the M1 style connector (2 pin but a narrower pin spread).  I note that you ad doesn’t list a model for this.  Would there be a model available for those?  I have sought adapters for adapting K1 pins to an M1 outlet but have not been able to locate any. What headset are you looking for? The Pro series is targeted at professional use so the connector choices are limited. Our modular and NX series headsets have more choices, There is also an M to K adapter out on the market that can convert an M headset to a K radio. We do not make it, but we could provide it for $20.00, it is a short pigtail type adapter, see link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-K1-M1-ADAPTER-Kenwood-Motorola-Accessories/dp/B01BXM6S5Y

4) After reviewing the ad for this device, it appears to me that the device would work with a one pin connector from an earpiece mic running into the top of the puck and then the 2 pin connector cable inserted into the radio.  Am I correct? Sort of. The connection between the Pro headset and the PTT is a Nexus connector (7mm) wired to the US NATO standard.

For use in high noise areas a boom mic is best for sending. Our CQB headset is a good, lightweight, boom mic headset with a single speaker. I think it is the best solution for referee use. Below is a link to the CQB headset in our Modular series. It is also available with the Pro PTT and downlead.

https://www.coderedheadsets.com/CQB-Waterproof-Close-Quarters-Battle-Headest-p/cqb-wp.htm

Take a look at the website and let me know if you have more questions or need more input. I know this can be confusing and we are here to help! It all start with radio model and application.

Thank You,

Michael Gaston

Offline Goodcall

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 04:08:05 PM »
Thanks for highlighting this conversation.

When it comes to other options that are out there they do exist but as Michael from codered pointed out they are not cheap. I believe theirs was $130. I did my best to balance cost with quality and I know $60 may seem steep to some but there's not nearly as much money being made off of that is what you think. There are a few options that people have pointed out to me on eBay but they are either a) not waterproof or b) are made of much thinner wire and lower grade materials

I know there is a lot of anticipation from those who have ordered to get this in their hands. My crew and I have been utilizing this since the beginning of the season and i wanted to take my time evaluating to make sure I was producing a high-quality product that work well. which is why it's being released mid season.

I can actually get this made in any connection, but I have try to lean towards the connections that our most popular and prevalent. I can also get adapters made to go between the other radios, but it becomes a economics proposal of would you rather spend $20 on an adapter or $20 on the new radio.  If there is a significant number that's wants a particular connector made please reach out.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:20:15 PM by Goodcall »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +103/-50
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 09:33:38 PM »
Is the Retevis brand the same as the Baofeng 888S?  I know several guys who use that radio.  That seems to be the popular radio in use around here.

Offline Goodcall

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 11:01:56 PM »
Is the Retevis brand the same as the Baofeng 888S?  I know several guys who use that radio.  That seems to be the popular radio in use around here.

They likely are compatible as the k1 connector us very popular over there. That being said I would urge no one to use baofeng radios, they are not part 95 compliant.  There was a crew in Washington state that was fined $10k each for using these radios.

Here is an article all about radio compliance, selection and it also has a handy table on how to make the different brands work together.

https://mailchi.mp/e93584ed698b/making-the-call?e=cb0e176b75

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 06:57:03 AM »
I can also get adapters made to go between the other radios, but it becomes a economics proposal of would you rather spend $20 on an adapter or $20 on the new radio. 

I've found that one can find adapters to make a M1 2 pin connector fit into a K1 2 pin type radio but it is impossible to find the reverse- K1 to fit an M1 type radio.  I bought a lightweight boom mic earpiece- Klein, I believe- that I really like but I've migrated from Baofengs to a Motorola set as I've found the Motorola has much better sound quality.  I wanted to keep using that earpiece but can't find an adapter to make it work.  For that I'd gladly pay $20 instead of another $70 to purchase an identical earpiece mic just to fit the Motorola radio.   Also for those officials that might be employed in law enforcement or public safety, they may already own a K1 style earpiece that they would like to use in a set of M1 style radios used in a crew.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +12/-7
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 08:30:06 AM »
They likely are compatible as the k1 connector us very popular over there. That being said I would urge no one to use baofeng radios, they are not part 95 compliant.  There was a crew in Washington state that was fined $10k each for using these radios.

Here is an article all about radio compliance, selection and it also has a handy table on how to make the different brands work together.

https://mailchi.mp/e93584ed698b/making-the-call?e=cb0e176b75

Might you have a link for more information regarding the fine - our entire chapter uses Baofengs (we don't use set crews, except for a couple of high-caliber crews that consistently work together, they use Midlands) and I'm curious if this is something we should revisit.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 10:56:20 AM »
Might you have a link for more information regarding the fine - our entire chapter uses Baofengs (we don't use set crews, except for a couple of high-caliber crews that consistently work together, they use Midlands) and I'm curious if this is something we should revisit.

Yeah I'm a little interested in that story myself.  I know the issue with Baofeng's.  Some come pre-loaded with unauthorized frequencies but they can be re-programmed.  BUT they still operate with a higher wattage than allowed for the frequency band most normally used (5W vs 2W I believe).  That being said, the FCC is not riding around in mobile vans triangulating walkie talkies.  If anything occurred at all it was most likely an interference issue that got reported.  I checked the FCC web site and don't see any press releases about football officials being fined $10k.  This sounds like a ghost story to me.

I tried looking into using business band radios, perhaps on itinerant frequencies, but the info on that is all over the map and the best I could accomplish was to pay some communications shop a $300 fee to file a license app for my "business".  The FCC poorly disseminates its policy and procedures to the potential general customer.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:05:01 AM by HLinNC »

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +119/-100
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »
That being said, the FCC is not riding around in mobile vans triangulating walkie talkies.

They aren't? Well, give the IRS a little time.  :(

Offline Goodcall

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 11:43:01 AM »
Yeah I'm a little interested in that story myself.  I know the issue with Baofeng's.  Some come pre-loaded with unauthorized frequencies but they can be re-programmed.  BUT they still operate with a higher wattage than allowed for the frequency band most normally used (5W vs 2W I believe).  That being said, the FCC is not riding around in mobile vans triangulating walkie talkies.  If anything occurred at all it was most likely an interference issue that got reported.  I checked the FCC web site and don't see any press releases about football officials being fined $10k.  This sounds like a ghost story to me.

I tried looking into using business band radios, perhaps on itinerant frequencies, but the info on that is all over the map and the best I could accomplish was to pay some communications shop a $300 fee to file a license app for my "business".  The FCC poorly disseminates its policy and procedures to the potential general customer.

I don't know that this was ever an article.  This intel was from a conversation I had with an official out in that region about 2 years ago at a clinic.  I will see if I can track down details, but if my memory serves me right they were creating interference to a significant operation (military I believe) and that's what got them in hot water and why the hefty fine.  If you read the article I wrote I mentioned the odds of this happening are very slim, and I would imagine be requiring you to create interference with a governmental agency to even be noticed. (or potentially the losing and upset coach being an FCC agent)  But as is with everything,the possibility is there, and the chance of a 10K and it can be easily offset by just getting a new $20-30 radio which also happens to perform better.

On another note, I do like the idea of using the business band as it would provide us the most security.  However, the additional cost of the radios plus having to pay up to $500 for a license and then getting into whether that license travels with you, seems to make this much more costly and complex than I think the benefit justifies. But this is just a personal opinion. 

Not a popular choice for some reason, but I actually use and love the Motorolla T200 Talkabout series and it had 128 privacy codes so it gets into being able to get out of the range that most peoples radios use and even thou they can still hear you it largely limits the odds of you getting walked on by outside traffic.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 11:51:15 AM »
but if my memory serves me right they were creating interference to a significant operation (military I believe) and that's what got them in hot water and why the hefty fine. 
  Yeah, that would get somebody moving.  Given that info, my guess they were using a set with the pre-loaded freqs.  When I got my Baofeng's, I cross-referenced the pre-installed frequencies with the assigned bands.  I think one channel was transmitting on some sort of satellite comm frequency.  I erased what had been shipped on them and re-programmed to GMRS and FRS channels.  If I recall correctly, the power settings can be adjusted down to comply with the wattage restrictions but they're still illegal technically because of that.

not a popular choice for some reason, but I actually use and love the Motorolla T200 Talkabout series
  That would be one of the 1 pin connectors, yes?  I wouldn't much care for that either.  I came up with some used CLS1110's (one channel) used by a lot of stores and restaurants.  They have a big ole PTT at the top.  The only "problem" has been some aftermarket earpiece mics won't use the in-line PTT buttons so you are forced to use the radio PTT.  You have to test every earpiece to see if the in-line PTT works or not.

They aren't? Well, give the IRS a little time.

They don't need the FCC.  They've got the banks by the 'nads.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:00:50 PM by HLinNC »

Offline Goodcall

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 02:32:00 PM »

That would be one of the 1 pin connectors, yes?  I wouldn't much care for that either.  I came up with some used CLS1110's (one channel) used by a lot of stores and restaurants.  They have a big ole PTT at the top.  The only "problem" has been some aftermarket earpiece mics won't use the in-line PTT buttons so you are forced to use the radio PTT.  You have to test every earpiece to see if the in-line PTT works or not.

The Motorola headset I am selling is for the Motorolla 1 pin connection which Is the M6 connector.

Offline Goodcall

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 09:28:51 PM »
I've found that one can find adapters to make a M1 2 pin connector fit into a K1 2 pin type radio but it is impossible to find the reverse- K1 to fit an M1 type radio.  I bought a lightweight boom mic earpiece- Klein, I believe- that I really like but I've migrated from Baofengs to a Motorola set as I've found the Motorola has much better sound quality.  I wanted to keep using that earpiece but can't find an adapter to make it work.  For that I'd gladly pay $20 instead of another $70 to purchase an identical earpiece mic just to fit the Motorola radio.   Also for those officials that might be employed in law enforcement or public safety, they may already own a K1 style earpiece that they would like to use in a set of M1 style radios used in a crew.

I talked to my manufacturer,  they're making me 20 k1 to m1 adapters, they'll be $20 each

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2021, 05:47:35 AM »
Your idea for the "puck" button has merit.  You might look at some of the customization options available for acoustic tube earpieces to market along with it for those desiring something beyond an in-ear canal tip.  I've found that the basic ones don't want to stay inserted if one gets wet from sweat.
I know there is one product that can be molded to fit inside the ear and is fitted on to the tube.  There are also small, fairly inexpensive, "skeleton" pieces that fit around the inner portion of the ear.

I talked to my manufacturer,  they're making me 20 k1 to m1 adapters, they'll be $20 each

Well, I'll be ordering me one of those.   I assume that I'll be able to find at your online store when they arrive?   Need it for this-
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 06:15:55 AM by HLinNC »

Offline Goodcall

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2021, 06:47:43 AM »
Your idea for the "puck" button has merit.  You might look at some of the customization options available for acoustic tube earpieces to market along with it for those desiring something beyond an in-ear canal tip.  I've found that the basic ones don't want to stay inserted if one gets wet from sweat.
I know there is one product that can be molded to fit inside the ear and is fitted on to the tube.  There are also small, fairly inexpensive, "skeleton" pieces that fit around the inner portion of the ear.

Well, I'll be ordering me one of those.   I assume that I'll be able to find at your online store when they arrive?   Need it for this-

It will likely be early next year before I have it because they have to open up a new mold for me. I have not listed them on the website yet because I wanted to get them first and try them out but I will also be selling these two earpieces to provide an alternative to the mushroom that is uncomfortable for some people

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +119/-100
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2021, 09:50:17 AM »
Matt,
Until I try these out personally, I can't tell if the button can be easily engaged with the palm of my hand (versus having to push it with fingers). Although I never personally used (or even tried) the Vokerro system, from watching on TV, that was what I liked about their button - it was convex, and obviously easy to engage without having to look, or find the "sweet spot" of the button. So, that is the one question I have about this Speak Easy system.
Did you consider using a convex button shape? Maybe it isn't needed, but I won't know until I try the Speak Easy.

Unlike others, perhaps, I am not a fan of boom mics for any reason. So, I am glad you are using lavalier mics.

Looking forward to trying these out this season (I hope).

Offline Goodcall

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2021, 10:10:33 AM »
Matt,
Until I try these out personally, I can't tell if the button can be easily engaged with the palm of my hand (versus having to push it with fingers). Although I never personally used (or even tried) the Vokerro system, from watching on TV, that was what I liked about their button - it was convex, and obviously easy to engage without having to look, or find the "sweet spot" of the button. So, that is the one question I have about this Speak Easy system.
Did you consider using a convex button shape? Maybe it isn't needed, but I won't know until I try the Speak Easy.

Unlike others, perhaps, I am not a fan of boom mics for any reason. So, I am glad you are using lavalier mics.

Looking forward to trying these out this season (I hope).

I looked at the big convex buttons, but they were not waterproof which is why I stayed away from them.  Depending on the size of your hands you should be able to engage with a portion of your palm.  Instead of using the center of your palm I use the portion just under my thumb to hit it. I would say 90% of the time I'm using my palm and the rest of it I'm using my thumb.  I don't think you'll have any issues with a "sweetspot" just because the size of the button is ~2".  I'd say after a week or two of using it, looking for the button won't even be something you think about, you'll be able to find it and press it quickly.