Football Officiating > National Federation Discussion

Illegal Participation

(1/9) > >>

BetweenTheLines:
We are having some discussion about this ruling. A free kick where R goes out of bounds and while laying across the sideline reaches into the field of play to secure a kick, let's say at his 5 yard line. Illegal Participation at the 5. What would we rule, loose ball enforcement previous spot or from the 5? Thanks as always and Happy New Year!

GA Umpire:

--- Quote from: BetweenTheLines on January 10, 2024, 03:53:28 PM ---We are having some discussion about this ruling. A free kick where R goes out of bounds and while laying across the sideline reaches into the field of play to secure a kick, let's say at his 5 yard line. Illegal Participation at the 5. What would we rule, loose ball enforcement previous spot or from the 5? Thanks as always and Happy New Year!

--- End quote ---

We have been instructed to call this a foul on K for a free kick oob. 
It touched an object oob before being touched by R.

Ralph Damren:
Our proposed rule change would clairfy that. Kick in/over field of play touched by R while touching OOB = R's ball at that spot. That's been my interp since the rule change in 2001. To rule IP ,one would have to rule intent. It would then become a loose ball foul and require a re-kick from R's 45. Just give 'em the ball at their 5 and let the band play on.

BetweenTheLines:
They play we were discussing happened in the Pittsburgh Baltimore game where the Pittsburgh receiver clearly went out of bounds (intent) then reached across the sideline to secure the kick. The announcers reported "what a heads-up play" it was. When these kids see this on TV they think that is what they should be doing, obviously not true in high school. I agree with you Ralph that this should be ruled as an Illegal Participation foul during a loose ball play (the kick) with enforcement from the previous spot or decline. It seems that not all states feel the same way. Maybe there should be something codified in the casebook concerning this.

Ralph Damren:

--- Quote from: BetweenTheLines on January 11, 2024, 07:12:33 AM ---They play we were discussing happened in the Pittsburgh Baltimore game where the Pittsburgh receiver clearly went out of bounds (intent) then reached across the sideline to secure the kick. The announcers reported "what a heads-up play" it was. When these kids see this on TV they think that is what they should be doing, obviously not true in high school. I agree with you Ralph that this should be ruled as an Illegal Participation foul during a loose ball play (the kick) with enforcement from the previous spot or decline. It seems that not all states feel the same way. Maybe there should be something codified in the casebook concerning this.

--- End quote ---
I would lean away from IP on this play for two reasons:
(1) This would require a re-kick, the highest play on the injury chart.
(2) For R to be guilty of IP, you would have to rule intent.
IMHO, just give R the ball on their 5 as they caused the kick to be OOB, not K. If my proposal passes, I'll supply both case and S & I support that was published for several years after the 2001 rule change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version