Author Topic: IR in High School Football?  (Read 11900 times)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: IR in High School Football?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 02:26:21 PM »
I think you're inventing problems that dont exist though. I think the options for this are do we do IR for PLAYOFF games only. I dont hear any clamoring for instituting it at 100% of TXHSFB games anywhere. So no one is saying Gunter or Chilicothe or Three Rivers needs to put up video boards to institute replay. And even if we did try to do 100% of games, you dont need a video board to do it anyway. Notre Dame only just put up a video board in their stadium last season but there has been replay there for nearly a decade. The lack of a board doesnt preclude you from doing it.
You also mention that the NCAA has been doing this for years...so why can't the UIL take those lessons and institute them here? Why do we have to start at square 1? That doesn't seem to make sense, logically. You stand on their shoulders and do  a stripped down version of their system. Again, even if a TX replay system isnt perfect, it'll be better than nothing.

Have you ever worked in a IR booth as the RO, tech or communicator?  If you have not, then I think you really need to look into this a little more.  You cannot do a stripped down version and really do it right.  You got with the right equipment or you are wasting your time.  On every play, the down/distance/yardline/lateral position and time is recorded.  There are multiple video angles syncronized for the RO to review.  You have to have someone down on the field as well.  It takes no less than 4 people to run a booth affectively.  It takes another 4 to 6 cameramen, a production group of probably 3 or 4.  Even if the UIL wanted this in all playoff games it would be practically impossible.  If they wanted it for championship games, that can be done.  But there is no practical way to institute this in playoff games prior to the championships.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
IR in High School Football?
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 06:46:13 AM »
Doc, Matt is a Replay official in the Big XII so I think he knows a little bit about replay. His system obviously works for Hawaii HS football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 08:26:36 AM »
Doc, Matt is a Replay official in the Big XII so I think he knows a little bit about replay. His system obviously works for Hawaii HS football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the reason he should know it won't work for us.  I just think using TIVO is an absolute joke.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 12:19:47 PM »
But Doc, just think how many nachos they can sell at Jerry World while they are back and forth on TIVO! LOL
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
But Doc, just think how many nachos they can sell at Jerry World while they are back and forth on TIVO! LOL

You have a point!

Offline Sumstine

• FAN REACTION: +70/-10
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
We ran the system with a live production feed and one we could manipulate with the DVR/TIVO. The production feed is typically not the same as what is shown in-house at the stadiums. On the DVR there are only six buttons you need to operate and our average review time was under 90 seconds and only required, on average, one stoppage from the booth. Two officials worked in the booth as is typical in most replay situations. Down/Dist was managed by the communicator using a shorthand version I taught them. Same system i use in the NCAA booth while managing to still do all my R1 or R2 duties. We did not need anyone downstairs because we used radios for communication so the R did not even need to come to the sideline. Just made the announcement when needed and allowed us to take a look at the production views. We worked with ESPN and told them what we were doing and they formatted so we received the best views very quickly. The system worked very well and again I invite any of you to visit next Jan when the all start games are being played. We use an air conditioned press box that can seat 15.

I understand that the quad view DV sports system is the best available but it can not be had for under 1k. We are proposing using this system in our state playoffs and/or championship games. Will likely only be used in championship games or divisions that play all of their games at Aloha Stadium. No being considered for regular season as the capabilities are not equal.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2018, 05:27:12 PM »
Have you ever worked in a IR booth as the RO, tech or communicator?  If you have not, then I think you really need to look into this a little more.  You cannot do a stripped down version and really do it right.  You got with the right equipment or you are wasting your time.  On every play, the down/distance/yardline/lateral position and time is recorded.  There are multiple video angles syncronized for the RO to review.  You have to have someone down on the field as well.  It takes no less than 4 people to run a booth affectively.  It takes another 4 to 6 cameramen, a production group of probably 3 or 4.  Even if the UIL wanted this in all playoff games it would be practically impossible.  If they wanted it for championship games, that can be done.  But there is no practical way to institute this in playoff games prior to the championships.

The condescension aside, you're missing my point. I'm not advocating that we have to have the top of the line system in place, we just need SOMETHING and something is better than nothing. I mean, take what you're saying to a different topic, on field officials. We get away just fine with having HS officials work games. We dont demand NCAA or NFL quality officials to work TXHSFB. To do replay in TXHSFB would likely be very similar. The scrutiny and stakes dont justify a DVsports system but they should have some form of replay. Would Tivo/DVR  be enough? I think so. I havent seen any argument as to why they cant. You just keep talking about why the best system in the world isnt feasible but like I said before, you're inventing nonexistent problems. Sure, it might not be ultra HD and 90% accurate, but if you cant tell based on replay then there are rules in the rulebook to cover that. You're not LOSING anything by getting a bad angle or a bad replay but in the 1 or 2 cases where it does give you a better angle and chance to fix something you are gaining something you didnt have before.

Offline Sumstine

• FAN REACTION: +70/-10
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2018, 05:33:09 PM »
Just received word we will be using replay on a limited basis in the 2018 championships. I don't like limiting it when it comes to plays involving clear lines or catch vs no catch but it is better than nothing. I will keep you posted.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2018, 05:35:37 PM »
it is better than nothing.

Exactly my position

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »
Having worked in a IR booth before the use of HD at the site where I work, I can tell you that using anything other than HD is wasting your time.  The quality simply isn't there to help whatsoever.

I'll stand by my position that either you use the right equipment, or you've done a lot of work for nothing.  Of the possible 1 or 2 reviews in a game, crappy equipment just isn't going to help much.  Also, how are you going to stop the game, and communicate with the R?  O2O?  Possibly, but they can be unreliable as well.  IR booths all use a paging system and the majority of officials will wear a pager.  I don't mean to be such a naysayer, but I feel I speak from experience.  You use the best system or you don't bother with it.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
UIL to use instant replay this year in the title games.