Author Topic: More BSB >  (Read 3512 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
More BSB >
« on: August 28, 2019, 06:37:47 PM »
A21 at B-37  You make the call

https://youtu.be/8roqB4BZBPo

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: More BSB >
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »
 ^flag

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 09:57:49 PM »
Agree this is a flag. This is a great example where he could easily make this block by screening the defender or giving a light shove with his hands. Both would take him out of the play and remove the chance the official has to make a decision.

Online Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 01:10:32 AM »
This is forcible contact. Foul for BSB.

Offline swany11

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 06:21:33 AM »
I’m not so sure it was forceable contact. He seems to slow up slightly right before contact, and appears to push him to the ground. IMO it looks worse than it actually was. But seeing it live I wouldn’t blame anyone for throwing a flag.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 06:52:25 AM »
All of the elements are there for a BSB.  The player being blocked can't see the block coming, and can't defend himself.  The block is thrown with the shoulder, and is clearly forceful - enough to knock him to the ground, completely out of control of his movement.  Is it the most vicious hit we've ever seen?  No.  But it crosses the line of forceful, and it what the rules makers have directed us to call, to help them change the culture in football, to get away from blocks intended for punishment rather than just playing the game.  That block could have been just as effective had he put his arms out and just shoved the opponent out of the way.

Robert

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 08:43:40 AM »
Agree with the above consensus - Rather than waffle over whether this is "forcible" or just "medium," I'll just point out that the "block" is delivered with the shoulder instead of the hands like every other high block in football is.

His coach might criticize the call and say it didn't rise to the level of a foul - but it was completely optional for the player to even put himself in that situation. He was perfectly capable of bringing his hands up and delivering a screen block instead.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 11:48:30 AM »
Oh yes.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 11:22:40 PM »
I got BSB foul on this one

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 04:35:01 PM »
 ^flag

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 04:36:19 PM »
I really don’t understand why they put this in. The blindside blocks I’ve seen penalized in the CFL, NFL preseason, and now weeks 1 and 2 of NCAA weren’t vicious or excessive, they just look like normal blocks.

This is why I say that these rule changes are a slippery slope that leads directly to flag football. It doesn’t matter what sport, whenever you make rule changes in the name of “safety” you inevitably ruin it altogether because each successive one gives more momentum to the next one and before you know it, football will be little more than a high school 7 on 7.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 05:02:18 PM »
I really don’t understand why they put this in. The blindside blocks I’ve seen penalized in the CFL, NFL preseason, and now weeks 1 and 2 of NCAA weren’t vicious or excessive, they just look like normal blocks.

This is why I say that these rule changes are a slippery slope that leads directly to flag football. It doesn’t matter what sport, whenever you make rule changes in the name of “safety” you inevitably ruin it altogether because each successive one gives more momentum to the next one and before you know it, football will be little more than a high school 7 on 7.

It is a liability issue.  You got these NFL players who even complain about their rules but yet as soon as they retire it seems like everyone of them opens up a lawsuit for head injuries. 

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
It is a liability issue.  You got these NFL players who even complain about their rules but yet as soon as they retire it seems like everyone of them opens up a lawsuit for head injuries.

That’s easily fixed by making every player sign a release and hold harmless agreement before they can play. I had to sign one of those to officiate intramural flag football every spring. They shouldn’t have the right to sue for this stuff anyway because college and professional athletes are grown adults who are capable of understanding the risks of activities they participate in.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 06:36:19 PM »
That’s easily fixed by making every player sign a release and hold harmless agreement before they can play. I had to sign one of those to officiate intramural flag football every spring. They shouldn’t have the right to sue for this stuff anyway because college and professional athletes are grown adults who are capable of understanding the risks of activities they participate in.

If you think a signed waiver will stop either a lawsuit or a jury award, you are living in a dream world.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
If you don't understand the danger of a forcible blind side hit you'll never like any safety-related foul. The ones I see are very dangerous and every one could have been easily avoided with a screen block or a slight push with the hands. I had a player end up with a severed spleen from what appeared to be a fairly normal blind side hit, but it was definitely forcible. They can affect internal organs and/or result in head injuries when an unsuspecting player's head slams to the ground. You can still legally block this guy and take him out of the play. If you want to see violence and bludgeoning I suggest you stick with MMA or violent action movies. There is plenty of contact and collision in football that is legal we don't need to include unnecessarily dangerous hits. You want to get rid of face mask and horse collar fouls as well? The blind side hit is generally more dangerous than either of those.