Author Topic: Pre-game Process  (Read 13186 times)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: Pre-game Process
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »
I think this discussion points out that although we are all part of TASO, differing regions do things differently.  In my old chapter, the entire crew goes out to meet the coaches.  The R's all met and decided this is what they wanted to do.  So what did I do?  I ignored it and took just my U.  If coach ever asked why I didn't bring the entire crew for him to meet, I told him because that's not the correct mechanic prescribed by TASO and everyone that was bringing the entire crew out was not doing it correctly.  I don't want 5 or 7 guys hovering around the HC asking all kinds of questions and interrupting my pregame. 

The coaches cert could be done by the UIL very simply.  Every HC should be required to send in a certification to the UIL before they can allow their team to step foot on the field for the first scrimmage.  But the UIL want's nothing to do with it because they read liability all over that.  They want to hang this on the officials. 

Robert, in 30 years and almost 400 varsity games, I would say maybe 5% of the time has there been a game admin introduce themselves.  It just doesn't happen around these parts.  You have to hunt them down.  If I have a field problem or some other safety issue, or dressing room issues, etc., I will find one. 

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Pre-game Process
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
We’ve had one coach say if they won they wanted to defer and kick from the south and the other says if they win they want the ball. Why have a toss at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 03:04:26 PM »
We’ve had one coach say if they won they wanted to defer and kick from the south and the other says if they win they want the ball. Why have a toss at all?

For the totally illogical, but traditional and romantic notion that the game belongs to the players.  That, and the pride Johnny's mom has when she sees her boy walk out to mid-field before the game, representing his team, school, and community.
Let's keep it a genuine coin toss, but don't let them screw up.

Robert

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont mind a little pageantry. It makes the game fun. Why do we even play a national anthem before every game? The JV kids seem to get by fine without one. It just makes things more interesting and more of a spectacle, which is what makes sports fun.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
I didn't see this thread (haven't been on here much) but I recall the one this is somewhat of a continuation of.

The bottom line for me is this: if TASO wants to fully standardize the process, that's OK with me. I think a lot of what we do was handed down through the ages -- how we were taught by those in our area. If I went to another chapter and took over a crew, they'd probably look at me like I was crazy if I gave them my standard pregame agenda.

Here's the big issue, I think: the UIL 30 minute jurisdiction. I haven't worked a game in the last 5 years -- and probably longer than that -- where the one or both of the teams weren't off the field on or around 7:00 (30 minutes prior to KO). This includes private school, and UIL (now) 2A-6A. I haven't worked a 6 man game since 2011. There have been a few times where one team lingered or a few of the players stayed and did things like kicking, but 95% of the time, both teams were off the field by 7 and 100% of the time, one team was off. So... if we wait until our 30 minute window starts, there won't be any on field meetings with the coaches plus we're interrupting their pregame process. If we go out earlier (whatever time, but extend it to an hour before KO), we have time to meet but technically, we don't have jurisdiction.

I'd honestly rather meet the coaches in the locker room. It is a private conversation and I prefer that immensely. Fewer interruptions and I was reported several years ago for misunderstood actions when speaking with the clock operators of all people. The reporting coach lied about several things but if someone wanted to stretch the idea of "appearance of conflict" then, I guess, I didn't live up to our professional standards. A private, unseen, conversation would eliminate that possibility.

So, and I've brought this up on here before so at the risk of repeating myself, what happens if there is a fight? DQ? Break it up, send them to the locker rooms, and report? TASO must get involved with this and give us direction.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 11:04:47 PM »
My crew arrives 2 hours before kickoff on 2A thru 6A games.  1A games is 1 1/2 hours before.  As soon as we arrive and put our bags in our locker room, myself as R and the U will seek out the home coach and then visitor coach.  We try to catch them before they "start working".  Get it done and out of the way as quickly as possible.  If they are not there we do our crew pregame but will stop if we see the the coach arriving.  We just try to catch them before they start doing something.  It takes us less than 2 minutes with each coach and we are done.  Although we have jurisdiction beginning at :30 minutes, we will go out there before then if both teams are on the field.  If a fight breaks out and we do not yet have jurisdiction we will stay out of it and no consequences other than what law enforcement may do.  If they want to fight, the time to do so is before we have jurisdiction.  That's the way we handle it.  We may get called to testify as a witness of something but we aren't the one DQ'ing a player.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »
At many of the places I officiate, finding a locker room can be a real task, and quite a walk, much less finding a head coach.  I want to talk to them on the field.  Easy and quick and it allows me to point out how many darned knee pads and back plates are a problem.   yEs:

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 03:02:43 PM »
I have been saying this for 7 years and no one listens.

What TASO needs to do is create weekly HUDL Pre Games, and weekly HUDL Video quizzes.  This will increase our consistency across the state.  It is so incredibly simple and will pay huge dividends.  All TASO trainings need to be thru HUDL.  Every meeting should have video.  The Houston chapter alone has over 1 million plays on video.  About 25,000 have been pulled already as penalty plays.  We have more Football training clips then any organization not named the NFL, and we might catch them in 20 years.

@Coby - I asked almost this exact question at the State meeting just over a month ago. 

TASO has been putting out offseason content via Brainshark or whatever on the taso.org page.   The statement was that when they measure views, it was sub 10% of registered TASO officials...so why produce it...my comment:  no one wants to jump through the hoops of viewing this on Brainshark/Taso.org -- why not share it on HUDL?

The response was that TASO wants to preserve its brand.  If they share this content via Hudl, then its out in the wild and "anybody" could share it broadly.  Not saying the answer makes sense...just saying thats the answer. 

TASO spends time and money to produce content, then makes it hard to view for a population that is not overly tech savvy...then justifies not producing more based on lack of views.

Absolutely agree that if we make more video content and training widely available and produced with regularity during the season, that more people will watch it and consistency will improve.   Points of emphasis can be addressed.  Trends in UIL reports from week-to-week can be communicated to the officiating (and heaven forbid, the coaching) community. 

In the IT industry, there is a measurement called a "feedback loop"....the shorter the loop, the more rapidly and consistently changes can be made.  Right now, when issues are raised to TASO/UIL, the feedback loop is months-long.  Improving that communication to weekly would make all the difference. 

To get off the soapbox and back to the original topic -- such a weekly video in the sub-15 min range would be a fantastic foundation for every crew in the State to use as the core of their pre-game.   
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 12:15:24 PM »
"TASO has been putting out offseason content via Brainshark or whatever on the taso.org page.   The statement was that when they measure views, it was sub 10% of registered TASO officials..."

This is a sad statement, indeed. To get better, officials must watch consistently watch video - especially CFO and TASO videos. Then watching HUDL videos of your own crew's handiwork and apply the lessons learned from the former. Just my 2˘
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:17:11 PM by JDM »

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »
"TASO has been putting out offseason content via Brainshark or whatever on the taso.org page.   The statement was that when they measure views, it was sub 10% of registered TASO officials..."

This is a sad statement, indeed. To get better, officials must watch consistently watch video - especially CFO and TASO videos. Then watching HUDL videos of your own crew's handiwork and apply the lessons learned from the former. Just my 2˘

I absolutely agree...it is sad that folks arent reviewing these videos.  However, I work in IT as my profession and I found the taso.org website and location of these videos cumbersome at best.  My feedback was that if the goal is really to get people to watch the content, then it should be much more user friendly to access.

My view is that this 5% viewership number is much more a function of the video location being difficult to find/access for the non-techie person...and much less a function of lack of interest by the Texas HS officiating community.
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
I absolutely agree...it is sad that folks arent reviewing these videos.  However, I work in IT as my profession and I found the taso.org website and location of these videos cumbersome at best.  My feedback was that if the goal is really to get people to watch the content, then it should be much more user friendly to access.

My view is that this 5% viewership number is much more a function of the video location being difficult to find/access for the non-techie person...and much less a function of lack of interest by the Texas HS officiating community.

I had no problems finding the videos. Where there's a WILL, there's a way. If the fact of the matter is there are not enough of us willing navigate the site to find the videos, much less watch them to get better, it's a sad commentary regarding being dedicated to the sport we serve.

Offline texasH

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 12:08:49 PM »
Is anyone else having issues with the online clinic presentation on Taso website?  I get halfway through and around slide #40 it continues to play over and over and will not allow me to get to the next slide.  Then I start over and it won't recognize me as being that far along and makes me start over?
thanks.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 03:44:20 PM »
Is anyone else having issues with the online clinic presentation on Taso website?  I get halfway through and around slide #40 it continues to play over and over and will not allow me to get to the next slide.  Then I start over and it won't recognize me as being that far along and makes me start over?
thanks.

I have inquired and am told the problem slides have been removed.

Offline Birddog

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 01:05:20 AM »
Along the same subject, I thought the On-Line Clinic was free for new first year guys to take for free.  I had a new guy try to take it and they wanted $75.  Did I give him the wrong info?  Thanks.....

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
Along the same subject, I thought the On-Line Clinic was free for new first year guys to take for free.  I had a new guy try to take it and they wanted $75.  Did I give him the wrong info?  Thanks.....

No you did not.  It is free.  They are working on fixing that as well.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »
Is anyone not getting the online clinic to show you actually completed it? I've gone through every second of the darn thing twice and my secretary still says TASO shows I havent completed it yet.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
Is anyone not getting the online clinic to show you actually completed it? I've gone through every second of the darn thing twice and my secretary still says TASO shows I havent completed it yet.

I haven't but several have had the same issue.  It got to around slide 55 and then either freezers or starts over.  From the secretary's view it will not automatically show completed.  For our guys it was sometimes a few hours or the next day when it showed them as being completed.  Brainshark periodically compiles the data on those who have completed it (even those who got stuck on 55) and then they send that data to Hatch, who then updates the members portal.  It's not an automated update.  Humans are involved in it.