Author Topic: Jerseys tucked in  (Read 4465 times)

Offline #92

• FAN REACTION: +3/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Jerseys tucked in
« on: November 16, 2017, 07:44:32 AM »
In his Game Video Review 5, RR emphasizes that officials should make sure players have their jerseys tucked in. I was only wondering how exactly we should do on the field.

If we see one or more players with their jerseys NOT tucked in, do we blow our whistle and stop the game clock and play clock? If so, the game clock starts on the ready and the play clock is reset at 25 seconds? If so, what when this happens within the last minute of the half? This isn't a foul, so technically ZAP 10 doesn't qualify.

Or do we only blow our whistle and only stop the play clock, and leave the game clock running? And then reset the play clock on 25 seconds once the "calling" official is back in position? This would create a possible advantage to the team leading in score, because this would burn more time.

Or do we not blow our whistle and stop neither clock (with or without resetting the play clock to 25 seconds if needed per Rule 3-2-4-b-3)? But then what if the offence snaps the ball while one official is dealing with said player? Or if the U goes over the ball, what if it is a Team B player that is to be addressed while Team B is leading in score late in the game? This would take time off the clock for Team A.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
Re: Jerseys tucked in
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:51:16 AM »
Who was it that used to say, "Don't trouble trouble?"  I think that applies here.  If you see a player with his jersey not tucked in, get to him after the play and tell him to get it tucked in.  If he doesn't tuck it in, tell him again and tell the coach that you need his help with it.  If the player refuses to tuck his jersey in, send him out of the game after the next play.  That will get his attention.

I don't think we want to stop the game because of this...unless you have talked to a team more than a couple of times. 

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »
As carol said, try to do this as discreetly as possible.  If not, shut it down and send him off for a play like you would a helmet off.  I would not recommend sending him off without shutting it down.  This affects the team's ability to substitute for him (since they'll have no idea we sent him off).  Again, treat it like his helmet came off.

I strongly advise to let this one go under 1:00 when a runoff is possible.  haha.

Offline #92

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
Fair enough.

What if it's a player whose helmet is not entirely strapped, or who forgot to put his mouth piece in? What about the game and play clock then?

Offline SJ3205

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »
I'm likely not going to grab the wrong end of either of those sticks....no huddle offenses with subs coming in from my sideline and trying to get a count and ID keys before the play--especially when the previous play ended in my sidezone--no not going there.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
If I had to guess how my supervisor feels about most things, I'd say I have two choices. 1) Follow RR's directive and correct all all the untucked jerseys, or 2) Have a job next season. I'll keep my job and get the big ones. I'll cover pads, I'll make sure the jersey is pulled down far enough that we can read the numbers, but I don't care one bit if it's tucked in or not.

Offline #92

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »
If I had to guess how my supervisor feels about most things, I'd say I have two choices. 1) Follow RR's directive and correct all all the untucked jerseys, or 2) Have a job next season. I'll keep my job and get the big ones. I'll cover pads, I'll make sure the jersey is pulled down far enough that we can read the numbers, but I don't care one bit if it's tucked in or not.
Forget the jerseys then. I was more focusing on the mechanics than RR's point. So let's say it's a player with his mouthpiece still dangling on his facemask.

Offline #92

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 11:54:38 AM »
I'm likely not going to grab the wrong end of either of those sticks....no huddle offenses with subs coming in from my sideline and trying to get a count and ID keys before the play--especially when the previous play ended in my sidezone--no not going there.
I genuinely don't understand what you mean.

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »
If any of you have worked a certain D-II school on the eastern seaboard this should sound familiar.  "Are we going to enforce all the rules today?"  lol. 

Offline #92

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 01:58:59 PM »
Forget the jerseys then. I was more focusing on the mechanics than RR's point. So let's say it's a player with his mouthpiece still dangling on his facemask.
No-one? :-)