Author Topic: Lake Ridge v Geo Ranch crew  (Read 8492 times)

tx29

Lake Ridge v Geo Ranch crew
« on: December 18, 2015, 10:19:47 PM »
I've seen a couple of calls at the end of the first half that we can all learn from.  I am by no means getting down on the calling officials and these are my opinion, but there are two plays in particular that are worth discussing.  Most of us have these DVR'd so it'll be easy to go back and review plays.   

2nd 2:58 CHB.
It looked like a CHB but the DT initiates the high contact on #74, who appears to be looking to get to the second level.  By grabbing the inside collar of his jersey and restricting from advancing to the linebackers, we could have a DH.  Once you see this the first time, it happens to the best of us,  and then see what really happened on film, you are more than likely not going to get fooled by it again. 

2nd 2:30 OH.
Foul called on #73 at POA.  This is another one that once you see what happens on film it shouldn't fool you again.  The TE chips #30 and puts him in an awkward position and maintains a semblance of a double team. #73 just has his hands on his chest and pushes but does not restrict him.  He maintains good feet as well and #30 is just leaning into him.   

I would have liked to have seen a UNS on the runner scoring on this play with his stepping into the EZ the way he did.

2nd 2:20 OH.
Good call by R looking through.

3rd 6:57--  Great spot at the +3.

Getting hard to watch now...

Offline Txgarza

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Lake Ridge v Geo Ranch crew
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 11:09:25 PM »
I agree with your observations. Also on a scoring play illegal man downfield should have been called. It was a screen pass but the ball was caught 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. Linemen were 3,5,and about 10 yards downfield.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »
No illegal man downfield. This is Texas, we're all legal. Ineligible man downfield maybe. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 11:01:21 AM »
I agree with your observations. Also on a scoring play illegal man downfield should have been called. It was a screen pass but the ball was caught 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. Linemen were 3,5,and about 10 yards downfield.

Intelligible downfield shouldn't be called on an attempted screen pass.  We should let that go.

Offline Txgarza

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
Intelligible downfield shouldn't be called on an attempted screen pass.  We should let that go.

It's their responsibility to catch the ball behind the line. So if a coach was yelling at you that he was downfield , your response would be no because it's a screen pass? 

Thanks for the correction Brad. I was sounding like Donald Trump. Lol.

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 11:16:10 AM »
Intelligible downfield 

We should let ineligible downfield go also   ;D
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 11:22:14 AM »
Intelligible.   Ineligible.   Whatever woks.  pi1eOn

Offline Txgarza

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
I also disagree because it's a state championship game, with 7 officials. Receiver was clearly downfield and so were his linemen (3, maybe more). I'm calling it in 7th grade, Varsity, whatever. Like I said before its their responsibility to catch it behind the line. I would hope we all would if it was seen.

Now this is off topic but if your crew didn't call it (Doc) and the next week I had the same team and we did call it. Stuff like this is why our home schools leave us in playoffs or are upset with our chapter as a whole. It may be an exaggeration but we should call the fouls consistently not on how we feel they should.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »
What Doc says is correct and why we added philosophy section to mechanics manual.   It is not just black and white rules it is philosophy. As long as we al follow the philosophies we will have consistency

Offline cwag

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »
So when does a screen pass turn into a dump pass or more?  Pass beyond the LOS is clear.  We should not make it subjective by philosophy.  This invites inconsistency IMO.  We just need to work the game within the written rules, not worry about throwing too many flags and trying to stay within the coach's good graces.  We do everybody involved a disservice by working the game with these things in our minds.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
We should be looking at advantage disadvantage.   There are times on failed screen passes where the ineligible downfield should be called.   I have not seen the play on this thread so am just speaking in general  terms.  But in many failed screen passes the ineligibles are not helping a team at all so why flag ?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:55:28 PM by TXMike »

Jugster

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »
Edited to remove some things I am watching with different crew...
To say that we don't call line men down field on a screen pass is incorrect. If the runner is 5 yards down field you call it... every time... or you should. Yes I know the philosophies but there are guidelines that the offence has to stay within.
I didn't see the play but you give a yard down field... maybe two.

On a failed screen I wouldn't call a foul ever.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:38:30 PM by Jugster »

Offline cwag

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
On a failed screen i would leave that alone as well.

Offline Txgarza

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »
Failed screen yes I agree leave alone. This was a successful screen caught 3 yards from LOS. It was so so successful that they scored. I would hope it would be called in this situation.

tx29

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 02:52:13 PM »
No illegal man downfield. This is Texas, we're all legal. Ineligible man downfield maybe. :-)

I don't know about us all being legal in Texas ^no ;)

^flag If the pass was completed 1yd+ beyond the LOS and we have ineligibles downfield, then we have IDP.  It doesn't matter if you thought it was supposed to be a screen pass or not.  If it is a failed attempt at a SP then you can have OPI if blocking is in the vicinity of the pass.  Now that's a good get if you (U) see/flag that. 

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 03:54:42 PM »
Doc, we only give them 1 yard beyond the LOS on successful screens. Further than that and you are right to throw IDP. Unsuccessful, no flag.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 07:45:25 PM »
Doc, we only give them 1 yard beyond the LOS on successful screens. Further than that and you are right to throw IDP. Unsuccessful, no flag.
Y

Agree.  I guess we need some video examples.  Good off season discussion.

Offline NoVaBJ

• FAN REACTION: +11/-8
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 12:35:59 PM »

Balderdash, batsqueeze, and rot. If A linemen go downfield, A is strictly liable for keeping the pass behind the LOS.

Offline Txgarza

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 08:34:44 AM »
Play I'm referring to is at the 10:22 mark of the 3rd quarter.