Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: Arm Sleeves
« Last post by sczeebra on Today at 04:06:45 PM »
The shoe rule was probably in response to Dick Kenney the barefooted kicker for Michigan State in the 60,s. He arrived at MSU in 1963 from Iolani HS. Honolulu Hawaii. Duffy Daugherty made him wear a shoe for his first year then relaxed his stance(pun intended). Question: Was Hawaii in the National Federation for HS sports in back then. Or were they skeered the might become a new fad?
Hmmm. I thought it might be just a one-time typo, but there it is again. What the heck is with the "at" sign in front my (or anybody else's) user name?
Not my label. I'll thank you to refrain from taking liberties with my user name. (I can't speak for others, but they may not like it, either).

And don't pretend to know what I will, or won't, enforce. I'm the guy fighting to get everybody to call illegal shifts (or illegal shift that converts to a false start) when Team A fails to stop and PAUSE for one FULL second before the snap. I'm the guy fighting to keep coaches very near the sideline between downs, while giving signals, then OFF THE WHITE by the time the ball is snapped (end line to end line). I'm the guy fighting to keep defensive players from deliberately stepping on/kneeing/pushing up off the ball carrier after they make the tackle. I'm the guy that checks game balls every game. I'm the guy that insists on having a conference with BOTH clock operators before every game. EVERY GAME! I'm the guy that won't allow the game operations folks to switch the lights off (fully dark) after a score or other 'home' event (in keeping with the NCAA direction, to which the UIL has NOT taken exception). (It won't be me that makes headlines when some kid gets sent to the hospital after getting kicked in the nads, or shanked, or smashed in the head with a helmet while the lights are out, and all we see is the kid laying on the ground in agony (or worse) after the lights come back on.) I'm the guy that makes game management move the end zone camera from right behind the goal support to outside the limit line, and make all photographers and 'dignitaries' stay outside the limit lines THE ENTIRE GAME. I'm the guy that makes the bands not play when the opponent is about to put the ball in play.
The guys that we are talking about don't do that, to ensure their position in the pecking order of 'coach picks,' or because they are too frickin' lazy.

Now. I will grant you that the knee covering thing is a different animal. A player can easily get a mouthpiece. A player can get easily a tailbone pad. A player can easily get a tinted visor removed from his helmet. Unfortunately, a player can't so easily get a pair of pants with longer legs within an hour of game time (especially a visiting team). And the coaches know that. They blame it on the uniform supplier: "Well that's what they sent us!" After two seasons of trying to fight this, everyone just gave up on that issue. Obviously, the coaches not only don't care, but, by omission, they encourage this behavior in the name of improved performance (real or imagined). We might have made one or two players work hard to keep their pants pulled down at the start of a drive, but then they 'shrink' up. And we just got tired of fighting this. They don't care; we don't care.
If the UIL writes their own rule to increase enforcement of this, then, by all means, WE need to stick it to 'em in those first few weeks, regardless of threats to scratch us, etc. And then we write up every incident where we had to enforce such a new UIL rule, and force the UIL to support us, or tell us, officially, "Just kidding."
Yes, this is an issue that the UIL needs to address internally, and not make us the 'bad guys.' Have us send in incident reports for every team that plays a player that doesn't wear conforming pants. No in-game penalty - just an incident report. Then they can use the incident report to fine the teams. And maybe even rule them ineligible for post-season play, if they have multiple incident reports for this reason.

Won't happen, as much as I wish it would.

Just don't pretend to know what I will, or won't, enforce. And don't call me "@".

« Last post by hef333 on Today at 02:46:34 PM »
1982 :  1-5-1d.... Pants required.

As an Umpire...I would like to personally thank whoever came up with this one....otherwise I'd spend my late Friday nights rinsing my eyes with Clorox!   :!#
Very good @dammitbobby. Maybe one day we will agree on a topic.
If you can't handle the simple stuff, how can you be expected to handle the big stuff.

Because I can discern what is important and relevant, and what is not.  But you do you, and I'll keep on keeping on as well.
« Last post by Ralph Damren on Today at 12:12:18 PM »
After further review by the replay official ( searching by an ole' duffer whose baseball game was rained out) , I've discovered that in 1957 (Ike was in the White House & and the Red Sox were in last place) this was listed as a rule change :

1-5-3-f : White transverse strips on jersey sleeve below the elbow is prohibited.

another noteble rule change.....

9-2-2-h : Grasping the face mask is prohibited.  ^flag

as time progressed......

1960 : 1-5-1 ... Requires a player to wear a face protector while playing.

1963 :  1-5-1-(e)... All players are required to wear shoes.

1982 :  1-5-1d.... Pants required.

tR:oLl
Correct. Coaches do sign equipment card. It's their problem when Zebras enforce the rules that come with the agreed contract. Do your part to force them to do their part. If you can't handle the simple stuff, how can you be expected to handle the big stuff.
Do not confuse my ability or courage to make a correct call during a game with enforcing uniform stylistic choices. 

Coaches sign a card that their teams have been instructed to wear and how to wear mandatory equipment. It's their problem. 

I know coaches do have a great say in what officials to use. We as Zebras have a great say in how we officiate and enforce rules. You have to decide what side of the fence you want to be on. You can't be scared to make the correct call no matter the consequences because it effects all your fellow Zebras.
While I can appreciate you trying to not be insulting @ElivisLives, from what you are saying plays right into the coaches hands. You will officiate for them the way they want. I know this is a cut throat profession and we all want playoff games, but to what to end. If each crew in each chapter enforced the rules as instructed, then it would become the norm and coaches would fix the problem on their own because the rule will be enforced. Coaches are just like players, they will try to get away with as much as you let them. Just Zebra up and enforce the rule. It will help all your fellow Zebras down the line.
I do officiate in Texas

That's fantasy.  You are normalizing coaches having a say in choosing officials, which is the root of the problem. Literally no other level, or location, of competitive sports allows coaches the right to unilaterally pick who they want to officiate their games - for very good reason. As long as coaches are allowed to introduce corruptibility into the process, this will not change.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10