Author Topic: Free Kick  (Read 6949 times)

Offline BG5

• FAN REACTION: +6/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Free Kick
« on: September 23, 2016, 09:23:04 AM »
Gents,

I saw this topic discussed on a previous thread but I thought I would start a new one as I did not want to take over another thread out of respect.

I just want to make sure I understand the free kick.  Are all of the following true?

1.  A free kick may be used after a fair catch or awarded fair catch

2.  A kicking tee is allowed for a free kick.  A block is also allowed for a free kick.

3.  The ball does not need to be snapped....basically a team could put their kickoff team out on the field with a kicking tee and if the ball goes through the upright then we have 3 pts.

4.  A free kick is just like a punt.  Should the ball not go into the endzone then the ball can be returned

5.  The defense must be back 10 yards and cannot cross that 10 yard area until the ball has been kicked

6.  The kicking team cannot do anything else besides a kick (example - no passes or runs...etc.)

7.  if the fair catch takes place at the 30 yard line.....the free kick can be kicked from the 30 and the remaining offensive players are allowed behind the kicker just like a kickoff.  Example - remaining players are at 34

8.  If a team fair catches with no time left on the clock then game would be over and no free kick allowed.  There are no penalties on this play.

Anything else I need to know.  I have tried to do research to answer some of these questions but I am not having alot of luck.

Thank you for your time.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Free Kick
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »
First, let's get the nomenclature right.  This is a "free kick after a fair catch".  All kickoffs (to start a half, after a TD, FG or safety) are also "free kicks".  I assume we are not discussing those.

1.  A free kick may be used after a fair catch or awarded fair catch

2.  A kicking tee is allowed for a free kick.  A block is also allowed for a free kick.

3.  The ball does not need to be snapped....basically a team could put their kickoff team out on the field with a kicking tee and if the ball goes through the upright then we have 3 pts.

4.  A free kick is just like a punt.  Should the ball not go into the endzone then the ball can be returned

5.  The defense must be back 10 yards and cannot cross that 10 yard area until the ball has been kicked

All true

6.  The kicking team cannot do anything else besides a kick (example - no passes or runs...etc.)

I'm going to make an assumption here and say that you mean once they declare they are taking a free kick after their fair catch.  If that's true, then yes, I agree.  Obviously, they could always run a scrimmage play, but not after declaring the free kick attempt.

7.  if the fair catch takes place at the 30 yard line.....the free kick can be kicked from the 30 and the remaining offensive players are allowed behind the kicker just like a kickoff.  Example - remaining players are at 34
The remaining players MUST be behind the 30, and no further back than the 35.

8.  If a team fair catches with no time left on the clock then game would be over and no free kick allowed.  There are no penalties on this play.
Two sentences here, one is correct, the other is not.  You are right about the clock.  But there can be penalties on the play.  Either team could encroach, there could be illegal blocks, etc after the kick.

One thing not in your comprehensive list: the free kick can come from any point between the hashes on the line where the fair catch was made or awarded.

Offline BG5

• FAN REACTION: +6/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:08:33 AM »
Atlanta Blue,

Thank you so much for commenting as you were extremely helpful so thanks for taking time to reply as it truly means alot.

Yes the assumptions you made were all correct so thanks for clarifying the points you made.

I was not aware about being able to place the ball anywhere within the hashes so thank you.

Offline ChicagoZebra

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:10:51 AM »
Good summaries for an obscure rule that I imagine 95% of us have never seen.

Re: point #8, the NFL does extend the period for a free kick after fair catch even if the fair catch is made with zeros on the clock, which is where some confusion may come from regarding this.

NCAA took the free kick after a fair catch out of their rule book some time ago.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 11:06:22 AM »
A free kick is NOT just like a scrimmage kick (punt).  There are several differences, including penalty options for R if it goes OOB between the goal lines.

A free kick (like a scrimmage kick) can be returned if it doesn't cross R's goal line.

Offline BoBo

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 11:19:34 AM »
Mechanics will put the R under one upright and the U under the other upright

All other positions will work under their normal mechanics (position on the field for free kicks)

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »
A free kick following a fair catch or an awarded fair catch is not like a punt, it is like any other free kick that starts a half or after a team scores by TD/try or FG. While the period/game may end if a FC is made after time expires, if the free kick is made after an awarded fair catch, the enforcement of the penalty will result in an untimed down. Other things to remember, the neutral zone is always 10 yards and can be expanded into the EZ. If that happens, use the chains to measure the 10 yards. The mechanics for the officials are different than on the usual KO. Check your local association to know the mechanic because this is rarely seen and you don't want to make the mechanic up on the fly. If the ball does not break the plane of the GL or go OOB, the ball is live and can be returned. That is why you need to know the mechanics because coverage is different than the usual KO for the officials.

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 02:02:33 PM »
Mechanics will put the R under one upright and the U under the other upright

All other positions will work under their normal mechanics (position on the field for free kicks)

I would guess that your statement would depend on the state you are in, and the size of the crew working the game. I don't think that those mechanics are true in all cases.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
Good summaries for an obscure rule that I imagine 95% of us have never seen.

Re: point #8, the NFL does extend the period for a free kick after fair catch even if the fair catch is made with zeros on the clock, which is where some confusion may come from regarding this.

NCAA took the free kick after a fair catch out of their rule book some time ago.
Great questions and answers. Several good points made. BUT... This is the Fed board. Let's try to refrain from including discussion that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic - specifically what's done in the NFL and NCAA. I'm guessing BG5 is a young, high school official eager to learn. Muddying the water will not be of help to him, nor any other Fed-only official.

I've asked before that posters refrain from doing this. The General Discussion board is there to discuss Fed, NCAA and NFL together in one topic.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 02:17:31 PM »
Great questions and answers. Several good points made. BUT... This is the Fed board. Let's try to refrain from including discussion that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic - specifically what's done in the NFL and NCAA. I'm guessing BG5 is a young, high school official eager to learn. Muddying the water will not be of help to him, nor any other Fed-only official.

I've asked before that posters refrain from doing this. The General Discussion board is there to discuss Fed, NCAA and NFL together in one topic.
Why?  Some great learning can come from "compare and contrast".  In addition, many more people see NCAA and NFL rules.  Knowing why and how those rules are different can keep HS officials from trying to apply something they saw on television to their own game.

The problem lies not in including the info, but how you use it to learn.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 03:51:04 PM »
You missed my point but I'll fix it for you. Moving topic to General Discussion.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 08:01:30 AM »
The NFHS Officials Manual now recommends setting the chains if a free kick following a fair catch is to be attempted. This would help to establish the free kick neutral zone and the spot of the kick ,if it is needed to be repeated. Some bigmouth from Maine convinced the Manual Committee to add it. :)

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 12:10:01 PM »
The NFHS Officials Manual now recommends setting the chains if a free kick following a fair catch is to be attempted. This would help to establish the free kick neutral zone and the spot of the kick ,if it is needed to be repeated. Some bigmouth from Maine convinced the Manual Committee to add it. :)

I bet he had a lobster martini after it got included.

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 12:52:44 PM »
I bet he had a lobster martini after it got included.

"Kraken, not stirred."