Author Topic: Has this been discussed?  (Read 10629 times)

HAshleyTX

Has this been discussed?
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:53:39 AM »
It's been mentioned about the UIL's real reason for the "takeover" is money but most of that has been focused around the registration fees that officials would be paying.  I'm not against paying a "reasonable" fee annually...especially if TASO is still allowed to do what it does.  However, if we look strictly at the money we need to look at the funds they will squeeze from us in the cost of uniform items and whatever else too.  I registered because I want to call games but I can't become a cash cow to be milked for hundreds of $$$ every year.  Looking at the UIL Arbiter information section, it already has a UIL Store selling caps, bags and polo shirts. 

"UIL STORE"
This special line of Nike products offer limited edition athletic gear with the exclusive UIL Sports Officials logo.  UIL Sports Officials gear is specifically designed for UIL registered sports officials.

Do you think that officials will be required to wear an official UIL polo ($45) when arriving at all game sites?  Without a doubt, there will be official UIL onfield caps ($20+) as well as an official UIL patch ($10?) on each shirt.   Will a new design or requirement keep this "alternate income source" pumping every year?  Is there a requirement for team jerseys/coaches polo's to have a UIL patch?  Why not?  Is this whole thing about the money and not "accountability" or any of the other buzz words being tossed around?

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Has this been discussed?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 12:00:38 PM »
It was alluded to when there was talk about a "UIL-required patch". When we first started saying this was about the money it was because we were looking at 15,000 refs paying $50 a person ($750,000) for a very limited amount of services/materials back.  They have tried to take the argument away by saying registration is free.  Well, if it is (and always will be ) free, how will they pay for what it takes to run officiating?  They are running on fumes now.  They already have agreements with ball manufacturers (except in football) for "official" balls.  No telling what they get from that.  They could easily create gear that is only sold through "official" vendors.  TASO does that now with some things that bear the TASO logo so I would not begrudge UIL from doing it.  TASO does not do it to the extent the SOA used to do it when we haad to have a SOA patch but it is the same principle. 

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »
 ^flag

Great point! If there is any doubt, then just go ask any of the UIL basketball officials who used to officiate under the TASO banner before being  "shanghaied" into the UIL fold! There are logo and shirt requirements and you are only permitted to buy them only from the UIL. If Honig's or any of the other officiating suppliers are to get in line to sell these UIL things, then they would have to procure some kind of a standing agreement with the UIL in order to properly insure that the folks over there on Manor Road get more than their fair share of the revenues.

But when you finally come to separate the fact from the fiction, this entire UIL-TASO boondoggle all ultimately boils down to a power-play and a gargantuan money-maker issue for the UIL: trust me, that's all that they're in it for!   z^
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:23:59 PM by arbitrator »

HAshleyTX

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »

It was alluded to when there was talk about a "UIL-required patch". When we first started saying this was about the money it was because we were looking at 15,000 refs paying $50 a person ($750,000) for a very limited amount of services/materials back.  They have tried to take the argument away by saying registration is free.  Well, if it is (and always will be ) free, how will they pay for what it takes to run officiating?  They are running on fumes now.  They already have agreements with ball manufacturers (except in football) for "official" balls.  No telling what they get from that.  They could easily create gear that is only sold through "official" vendors.  TASO does that now with some things that bear the TASO logo so I would not begrudge UIL from doing it.  TASO does not do it to the extent the SOA used to do it when we haad to have a SOA patch but it is the same principle. 

Mike, you're right about the TASO logo and I even remember the old SFOA patch we wore on our uniforms but other than the patch, we've never been "required" to have anything we couldn't purchase from any number of private vendors.  I think it is absolutely proper to "begrudge" the UIL if they take this to the extent I've alluded to especially if we have to buy the "approved" UIL polo as travel uniform.

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 02:00:07 PM »
Maybe they could use some of that NIKE sponsorship to buy us all a hat.  I mean...they do really appreciate us right?  And don't forget that "comprehensive" raise we are all getting (except football)...the money will be no big deal!

Offline TXMike

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
Well ypu are one of their constituents now so tell your elected UIL rep about it.  Oh that's right....there are NONE. ;-)

HAshleyTX

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
Well ypu are one of their constituents now so tell your elected UIL rep about it.  Oh that's right....there are NONE. ;-)

HA HAAA!  Like anything I ever said to my elected TASO rep got anywhere! ^no  You may actually be onto something...Since they don't listen to non-registered officials, maybe they won't be able to ignore the bitchin from the registered ones? 

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 02:42:18 PM »
I remember when we got rid of the SFOA patches. Blackwood removed all patches and he said volleyball, basketball and some of the others screamed like gut shot gorillas as they had sometimes 6-7 patches on their shirts.

You are right about the thump thumpers. I talked with a BB official and they are being required to purchase their shirts and patches direct from UIL.

Money, power, and ego are driving this bus.

I sure want to be there when they step on their foreskin, it looks like it will really hurt.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TXMike

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 02:47:22 PM »
HA HAAA!  Like anything I ever said to my elected TASO rep got anywhere! ^no  You may actually be onto something...Since they don't listen to non-registered officials, maybe they won't be able to ignore the bitchin from the registered ones? 

If you had ever suggested anything that made sense they might have listened to you.  (In the Navy I think they call that a "shot across the bow")

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »

You are right about the thump thumpers. I talked with a BB official and they are being required to purchase their shirts and patches direct from UIL.

I don't see how, I too talked to a BB official, he said they had several vendors they could and did purchase shirts through, none of them were the UIL.

I don't know how they could stop you from wearing this from stripes plus...

http://shop.stripesplus.com/category.aspx?categoryID=74

They did have to buy the UIL patch from the UIL though..

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:03:27 PM by fencewire »

HAshleyTX

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »
If you had ever suggested anything that made sense they might have listened to you.  (In the Navy I think they call that a "shot across the bow")

What?  It's got to make sense? 

Offline blindref757

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 08:37:27 PM »
Is this the logo that UIL officials will be wearing?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 08:43:16 PM »
Is that the gay Nazi party flag???
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TXMike

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 08:48:32 PM »
My money is on this brand:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:05:06 PM by TXMike »

Offline Mark Liggett

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
    • Austin Football TASO
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 09:01:42 PM »
My money is on this brand:

I thought the logo was already in existence...?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline blindref757

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 09:17:48 PM »
Is that the gay Nazi party flag???

I saw Ornery1 wearing this last Friday!  It was about 4 inches below his belt...in the back!