Author Topic: "Half Sleeves"  (Read 15058 times)

Frank in FL

"Half Sleeves"
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
We had a question the other night concerning the use of basketball type "half sleeves" worn in football.  Our position was that they were not undershirts and only sleeves and therefore should be treated the same way as sweat bands. 

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
Re: "Half Sleeves"
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »
Per the state from 2009 or so, can't wear the "Iverson sleeves" as you described.

Frank in FL

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Thanks Steve.  I thought I remembered it, but we couldn't find it anywhere.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »
Interesting though you see them worn on TV for the State finals.   ???

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:12:53 PM »
We had a question the other night concerning the use of basketball type "half sleeves" worn in football.  Our position was that they were not undershirts and only sleeves and therefore should be treated the same way as sweat bands.
What rule are you hanging your hat on with this one? 1-5-3c-1 addresses the issue only if the sleeve is ball colored. IMO, any other interpretation is a stretch, at best. These are not sweatbands so I don't see how you can justify that road.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

jjseikel

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »
What rule are you hanging your hat on with this one? 1-5-3c-1 addresses the issue only if the sleeve is ball colored. IMO, any other interpretation is a stretch, at best. These are not sweatbands so I don't see how you can justify that road.

No, there are not sweatbands. They are adornments similar to bicep bands and are therefore illegal.
Somebody hollar at Bigjohn and have him weigh in on this.  ;)

Frank in FL

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »
Hanging it on our state rules interpreter who I just heard from.  He says they are illegal so I guess that's that.

LarryW60

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »
We treat them as adornments as well.  If they can wear them so that it looks like a long-sleeve compression shirt under the jersey we generally let it go, but if it's obviously one of the "Iverson-style" sleeves, then it's an adornment and not allowed.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 04:23:53 PM »
No, there are not sweatbands. They are adornments similar to bicep bands and are therefore illegal.
Somebody hollar at Bigjohn and have him weigh in on this.  ;)

Although I don't necessarily agree, our state treats them as pads, and thus legal.

Mike L

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »
I think state interpreters should look up some images of turf burn before making uninformed decisions. With the increasing dominance of turf fields, it is a concern.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »
think state interpreters should look up some images of turf burn before making uninformed decisions. With the increasing dominance of turf fields, it is a concern.

Then the Iverson sleeve manufacturers need to pull what the spat manufacturers did a year or so ago and demonstrate a valid use for them.  We consider them illegal adornments but I can see how they might guard against turf burn.

I remember back in my college days on the old "billiard surface" turf a lot of the guys wore those neoprene sleeves.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:00:54 AM »
I think state interpreters should look up some images of turf burn before making uninformed decisions. With the increasing dominance of turf fields, it is a concern.
+1
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 08:01:06 AM »
Per the State here, at least in +/-2009 when they made a ruling, I seem to remember their statement along the lines of the "iverson sleeves" (paraphrase) 'assist the runner in maintaining possession of the ball'.

refjb

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »
But don'tall those Under Armour gloves that you can purchase at Dick's also assist the runners/receivers but they still wear them, at least in my neck of the woods.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 10:03:02 AM »
I suppose they deemed it to be under 1-5-3c5.
..."Jerseys, undershirts or exterior arm covers/pads manufactured to enhance contact with the football or opponent."

Frustrating for me that the State requests we do not allow these sleeves, arm bands and the other things players aren't supposed to wear, yet you see a photo of the "big game" in the sports section and players are wearing them and/or you're watching a State playoff game and you see players wearing them.

LarryW60

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »
If a player is concerned about turf burn, he should wear a long-sleeved compression shirt under the jersey.  But that's too easy and would abide by the rules, hence these "reasons" for needing half-sleeves.

Mike L

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »
If a player is concerned about turf burn, he should wear a long-sleeved compression shirt under the jersey.  But that's too easy and would abide by the rules, hence these "reasons" for needing half-sleeves.

So with 2 players concerned about turf burn, the one wearing a full shirt is ok with you but the one wearing just the sleeves, even though made out of the exact same material, is out of luck because of a missing couple inches of material between the mid-bicep and shoulder?

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »
So with 2 players concerned about turf burn, the one wearing a full shirt is ok with you but the one wearing just the sleeves, even though made out of the exact same material, is out of luck because of a missing couple inches of material between the mid-bicep and shoulder?

So why doesn't the player just wear the long sleeve shirt and comply?  Why does it become the officials fault?

Not that I really care...I personally hate being uniform  P_S
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 06:19:59 AM »
So why doesn't the player just wear the long sleeve shirt and comply? 

Because a long sleeve compression shirt (which everyone says is legal) is incredibly hot when worn on a warm evening.

To differentiate between a long sleeve shirt and separate sleeves made of the EXACT same material is ridiculous.  If the sleeves aid in possessing the ball (and they don't), then long sleeve shirts do the exact same thing and should be banned as well.  If that's the rule the Florida state interpreter is using for banning the sleeves, he missed the boat completely.

LarryW60

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 08:00:29 AM »
Like I said previously... if they wear the sleeves LIKE they're part of a shirt, we're not going to be looking up their jerseys to verify it goes all the way to the armpit.  Additionally, the ones who only wear the sleeve on the arm they normally carry the ball with are not going to convince us they're concerned about turf burn.

Offline NWA_UMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:09 PM »
Because a long sleeve compression shirt (which everyone says is legal) is incredibly hot when worn on a warm evening.

To differentiate between a long sleeve shirt and separate sleeves made of the EXACT same material is ridiculous.  If the sleeves aid in possessing the ball (and they don't), then long sleeve shirts do the exact same thing and should be banned as well.  If that's the rule the Florida state interpreter is using for banning the sleeves, he missed the boat completely.

Hot? Heat Gear LS shirts are anything but hot...

It has to do with the "cool" factor. If turf burns are a concern they make adhesive "patches" that adhere to the elbow to alleviate the problem...

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »
Interesting update:
I have seen these "Iverson Sleeves" which now have built-in elbow pads.
So we how have something that apparently, "under 1-5-3c5.
..."Jerseys, undershirts or exterior arm covers/pads manufactured to enhance contact with the football or opponent." - yet they have the padding for protection & kids can wear elbow pads.

Either way doesn't matter to me, really.  Frustrating ni that my assn say do not to allow due the State saying "no", yet I always see them (along w/ other adornments) on the local 'game of the week' or during the State playoffs.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 02:14:33 PM »
Hot? Heat Gear LS shirts are anything but hot...

When worn as undershirts, UA Heat Gear LS shirts are VERY hot.  Their advantage is that they are moisture wicking, and therfore draw sweat away from your body, and have it evaporate.  All of that is defeated when they are worn under pads and a jersey.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »
When worn as undershirts, UA Heat Gear LS shirts are VERY hot.  Their advantage is that they are moisture wicking, and therfore draw sweat away from your body, and have it evaporate.  All of that is defeated when they are worn under pads and a jersey.
What about the kickers?  ;)

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »
Tennessee declared them eligible equipment just last week.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown