Author Topic: 6 man try  (Read 699 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
6 man try
« on: December 16, 2022, 12:57:04 PM »
6 man.  Just saw something watching film that I think a lot of people may get incorrect.

On a try, A is in a kick formation with holder and kicker.  Holder misses the snap altogether, and ball is recovered by A at the A35. 

Ruling?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: 6 man try
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 01:49:33 PM »
I’m not sure what you’re getting at. It’s just a backward pass recovered by A. If the player who recovered it is down, the try is over and we kick from the A-30. If he’s not, the ball is still live and can be advanced. There would still need to be a legal exchange before Team A could run the ball beyond the neutral zone assuming Team B never touched the loose ball.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 02:03:45 PM »
...but it's not a dead ball. 

Rule variation 4:  During a try after touchdown the ball becomes dead when Team B gains possession or it is obvious that a kick is unsuccessful. 

I'm watching game film and we had a R who killed it. I would imagine others would make this mistake as well, particularly given that the mechanic is to whistle the ball dead as soon as it is away or blocked.

Like you said, it's a live ball until/unless B recovers, or A legally scores (exchange then run, or pass).

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 02:23:52 PM »
...but it's not a dead ball. 

Rule variation 4:  During a try after touchdown the ball becomes dead when Team B gains possession or it is obvious that a kick is unsuccessful. 

I'm watching game film and we had a R who killed it. I would imagine others would make this mistake as well, particularly given that the mechanic is to whistle the ball dead as soon as it is away or blocked.

Like you said, it's a live ball until/unless B recovers, or A legally scores (exchange then run, or pass).

For those that have not read everything above, this is a discussion of UIL 6-player football (and does not apply to UIL 11-player football).

Sadly, there are many who follow the urban myth of sounding a whistle the instant the ball is kicked. Then, they get talked into making a roughing the kicker foul a dead-ball foul. No! No! No! That's why you wait until the ball flies past the goal posts, hits the ground, or is caught by B. But, as you note, if there is no actual legal kick, then the ball is just loose from a backward pass (in the example given), and may be recovered by anybody, and, if recovered by a player on his feet, advanced. That could apply to a fumble by the holder, as well (with no actual legal kick).

Sounding a whistle immediately when a legal kick is made is NOT an approved mechanic. Check Crew of 5, Section 26, Article 4, FIELD GOAL OR TRY, paragraph B, sentence 2. We are to wait, as noted there.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 02:37:05 PM by ElvisLives »