Author Topic: "CRYING FOUL OVER BAD FANS'- Bangor Daily News ...5/3/2023  (Read 761 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
NJ Little League has novel fix for unruly behavior. If you yell at the umps, you join them. If you yell at the umps and are asked to leave, You'll need to umpire three gmes before you are allowed to return to the stands......

Someone with more hitech skills may be able to add more to this story than I can. The thought's good and I felt you guys might enjoy.  tiphat:

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: "CRYING FOUL OVER BAD FANS'- Bangor Daily News ...5/3/2023
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 12:27:56 PM »
NJ Little League has novel fix for unruly behavior. If you yell at the umps, you join them. If you yell at the umps and are asked to leave, You'll need to umpire three gmes before you are allowed to return to the stands......

Someone with more hitech skills may be able to add more to this story than I can. The thought's good and I felt you guys might enjoy.  tiphat:

At first blush, might sound helpfully instructional, but it opens Pandora's Box as to what might happen during those 3 "instructional" games.  Maybe requiring that the "verbal" spectator clean the spectator area after 3 games (without watching those events) would serve as a more predictable service.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 09:13:31 AM »
I have a friend who was an Umpire in Chief for a local rec youth baseball league for several years.  He always said the best rule he put in was, if a fan is unruly and gets ejected, that team's coach is also ejected.  As an umpire, if a fan is getting out of hand, all they had to do was remind the coach that if the fan goes, he goes too.  They never had any problems because the coaches would handle their fans.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 02:59:07 PM »
I have a friend who was an Umpire in Chief for a local rec youth baseball league for several years.  He always said the best rule he put in was, if a fan is unruly and gets ejected, that team's coach is also ejected.  As an umpire, if a fan is getting out of hand, all they had to do was remind the coach that if the fan goes, he goes too.  They never had any problems because the coaches would handle their fans.
I agree with where you're looking for a solution, but I'm afraid the real problem is one step further back on the chain.  The "Fans" /Coaches largely are the parents (relatives) of the younger players and sadly may not have learned/been taught necessary behavior lessons when they were growing up, and haven't passed those lessons forward.  Forgive me, but being an "older fart" (and sharing responsibility for "lessons NOT passed forward"), a lot of today's nonsense has it's roots in basic lessons, which sadly are no longer being taught.

It will likely take a similar number of generations to re-implant those lessons, but the sooner we start, the shorter the wait to see results.  Sorry, but the short-cuts and excuses we've tried just aren't working.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 03:07:22 PM »
I agree with where you're looking for a solution, but I'm afraid the real problem is one step further back on the chain.  The "Fans" /Coaches largely are the parents (relatives) of the younger players and sadly may not have learned/been taught necessary behavior lessons when they were growing up, and haven't passed those lessons forward.  Forgive me, but being an "older fart" (and sharing responsibility for "lessons NOT passed forward"), a lot of today's nonsense has it's roots in basic lessons, which sadly are no longer being taught.

It will likely take a similar number of generations to re-implant those lessons, but the sooner we start, the shorter the wait to see results.  Sorry, but the short-cuts and excuses we've tried just aren't working.

I agree...unfortunately.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 10:43:45 AM »
A very good idea ! In NFHS, at first a coach can be restricted to the dugout (we refer to it as dugout detention) in lieu of ejection. IF an assistant coach recieves such, the head coach also recieves such..ie... assist. coaching @1st and head @ 3rd..if 1B coach iis restricted, 3B coach joins him, probably kids now coaching bases = assistant coaches seam much nicer now !