Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
NCAA Discussion / Re: Friday Brain Teaser
« Last post by ElvisLives on Today at 03:13:22 PM »
I think this illustrates a good rule of thumb for us who don't regularily work the play clock: if not absolutely sure, start the 40s count when the ball becomes dead. It is easier to correct this to 25 at the signal than vice versa.

Exactly.  Thanks, Kalle.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Penalty Enforcement
« Last post by CalhounLJ on Today at 02:59:20 PM »
Lol. Me too. Iím just gonna act like I know what Iím doing and hope for the best. For the record, I donít think there are 3 coaches in my entire state who would know if I got it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NCAA Discussion / Re: Friday Brain Teaser
« Last post by Kalle on Today at 02:48:39 PM »
Yes, sir.  But how many play clock operators will get this right?  Not an everyday situation.

I think this illustrates a good rule of thumb for us who don't regularily work the play clock: if not absolutely sure, start the 40s count when the ball becomes dead. It is easier to correct this to 25 at the signal than vice versa.
« Last post by IA Linesman on Today at 02:41:08 PM »
I just pray that this doesn't happen to me on a Friday night with an evaluator in the stands... hEaDbAnG
« Last post by CalhounLJ on Today at 02:23:39 PM »
I think we have gotten off track a bit.  We can only have one loose ball play, and a loose ball during 1 or more running plays.  10-3-1 " the run(s) which precedes such legal or illegal kick, legal forward pass are considered part of the loose ball play. 

So once the receiver catches and runs all actions after this are separate running plays (with a loose ball not play).  I would want to enforce from the end of the run (bag).
I believe you are mistaken. While itís true that we can only have 1 loose ball play during a down, the ball can be loose multiple times before that loose ball play. Examples include the snap, a fumble behind the line, a backward pass behind the line, etc. While all of these can be loose-ball plays in their own rights if the conditions are right, all of these can also simply be parts of a bigger loose-ball play if they happen prior to a final loose ball. Example:
Snap, backward pass, fumble OOB. Both the snap and the backward pass are loose balls which become a part of one loose-ball play.

In the OP, the pass indeed would have been the only loose-ball play had the play ended beyond the LOS. But, because the ball was carried back behind the los and ended with a fumble, that fumble and everything that happened before it, including the pass, became part of a huge Loose-ball play.

« Last post by IA Linesman on Today at 02:08:51 PM »
I think we have gotten off track a bit.  We can only have one loose ball play, and a loose ball during 1 or more running plays.  10-3-1 " the run(s) which precedes such legal or illegal kick, legal forward pass are considered part of the loose ball play. 

So once the receiver catches and runs all actions after this are separate running plays (with a loose ball not play).  I would want to enforce from the end of the run (bag).

Texas Topics / Re: Football weather!
« Last post by salth2o on Today at 01:30:05 PM »
  Prefer 105 to 45 any day of the week.

« Last post by CalhounLJ on Today at 01:07:56 PM »
I can understand this confusion: especially when you consider that during a scrimmage kick, the "zone disintegrates immediately after the kick has crossed the expanded neutral zone or when it's trajectory is such that it cannot be touched until it comes down". (CB 6.2.6).  It's not unreasonable for one to conclude that the same thing (NZ disintegration) might occur during a scrimmage play (not a kick); but, as pointed out, that "exception" has not been provided.  Clearly, that it is because, during a run or pass play, who merely touches the ball and where has little impact on subsequent possession.    

I think this reference is talking about the expanded neutral zone, because in HS, the NZ proper does not disintegrate once the kick crosses the expanded neutral zone. The neutral zone remains intact throughout the down, or at least until R or K possesses the kick beyond the NZ.  Case in point: K kicks the ball, it travels 10 yds, takes a huge bounce, and comes back behind the neutral zone. Can K advance? Or kick it again? Or pass it? Of course....

Here's the statement in its entirety:
RULING: The purpose of expanding the neutral zone during a scrimmage kick is to permit normal line play. The neutral zone is expanded up to a maximum of 2 yards behind the defensive line of scrimmage (beyond the neutral zone) to allow ≠offensive linemen to block and drive defensive linemen off the line of scrimmage. Low scrimmage kicks may touch or be touched by players of K or R, and such touching is ignored if the kick has not been beyond the expanded neutral zone. The zone disintegrates immediately when the kick has crossed the expanded zone or when the trajectory is such that it cannot be touched until it comes down. Once the zone disintegrates, touching of the kick by K in flight beyond the neutral zone is kick-catching interference if an R player is in position to catch the ball. If touched by R beyond the neutral zone, it ≠establishes a new series. (2-28-2, 5-1-3f, 6-5-6)
« Last post by CalhounLJ on Today at 12:52:41 PM »
Yes thatís my understanding. But hereís another wrinkle- if at any time during that play a lineman goes downfield and the pass is thrown beyond, we have ineligible downfield even if he comes back behind the NZ before the ball is thrown. Casebook 7.5.12 Situation A

« Last post by bbeagle on Today at 12:47:50 PM »
So then is my understanding correct that a running play that goes beyond the NZ can end up resulting in a legal forward pass or legal kick behind or in the NZ as long as there wasn't a change of possession?  I think we'd have a real hard time explaining that one to a coach when the ball went 10 yards downfield before coming back behind the NZ, but it sounds like by rule, since the NZ apparently never disintegrates and legal passes and kicks only state "in or behind the NZ" with no reference to the ball previously going beyond the NZ, that such pass or kick would be legal.

Under NFHS rules, yes, say on a 4th and 20, the QB can run downfield 10 yards, find that he can't make it the full 20, retreats back 10, then throws a pass to a receiver 20 yards downfield for a 1st down.

In NCAA or NFL, this is an illegal forward pass. Their neutral zones disintegrate, but that's not the NFHS rule.

Of course, you'll have to explain this to the offended coach while he's yelling at you telling you that you know nothing about the rules of football and this will be the 'last game you ever officiate' when he reports you as you suck so bad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10