Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: Bill Lemonnier DVD
« Last post by HLinNC on Yesterday at 08:59:25 PM »
I purchased it.  It was fairly well done.  The videos selected are clear. 

I was disappointed in the constant misspelling of the word "philosophies" in the graphics.  Small thing but given that officials graded on our appearance I would have hoped that someone caught that goof before it went to burning.
National Football League / Re: Defensive strategy at end of game
« Last post by Legacy Zebra on Yesterday at 07:36:05 PM »
Last year in a bulletin and then this year in the mechanics manual.
NCAA Discussion / Re: Rules you would change if you could....
« Last post by Joe Stack on Yesterday at 03:30:03 PM »
I would make it to where the only times the ready is given without the clock starting is on a) new possessions, b) after a TO and c) other situations to correct an equitable situation (i.e. abuse of timing rules). The whole clock stops on incomplete passes and doesn't start until the snap thing goes back to the days where teams pass 5-7 times a game COLLECTIVELY. We've been out of that cave for decades. Then I would add a 2 minute warning to each half.

I would also add a 40 point mercy rule much like TAPPS. 30 point for subvarsity -- at least in the 4th quarter.

Not a rule change but a CLEAR directive: the time between the end of a try and the kickoff is not a timeout but an intermission. One that should take no more than 40 seconds. The 40 second clock should start at the end of the try down and at the end of that 40, the ready for play (25) should be whistled immediately. It is a little different than the use of normal time clock procedures but there's no reason why we can't do this. My goodness, teams huddle prior to all kickoffs like they've never done it before. They score 10 TDs in a game, they still huddle.
« Last post by bbeagle on Yesterday at 12:40:42 PM »
Also, the clock should be reset to the time of the snap and start on the next snap.

I've never heard that time could be added to the clock in NCAA as part of penalty enforcement. When was this added?
« Last post by goodgrr on Yesterday at 01:40:40 AM »
The NFL have made it illegal too, unfortunately only on the 2nd and subsequent occasion.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2016/11/15/13637126/49ers-saints-holding-penalty-play-nfl-rule-change
« Last post by Legacy Zebra on July 18, 2018, 09:04:44 PM »
Not sure about the NFL, but the NCAA has classified this as an unfair act. All players who intentionally hold or foul during the down are charged with a UNS foul. Also, the clock should be reset to the time of the snap and start on the next snap.
« Last post by Etref on July 18, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »
The drawback that I see is B holds the linemen and receivers what is to stop a design run or draw play?

Yeah the clock runs down but they may score unabated
Texas Topics / Re: Test
« Last post by bctgp on July 18, 2018, 04:50:42 PM »
As stated earlier the test has been corrected to reflect the correct answer for the question below:

"On a free kick, B33 makes an invalid fair catch signal and subsequently catches the kick at the B-20. The kick did not touch the ground. Result?"
National Federation Discussion / Bill Lemonnier DVD
« Last post by IA Linesman on July 18, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
Our crew has been using this video series for several years now and I have to say this year's version is really well done.  The production quality is higher and the examples and topics really lead to good productive conversation.

Another good series is from Matt Sumstine.  He really breaks down the blind side block and other personal safety fouls well.

These videos have really helped me develop as an official and they start the conversation within our crew so that when these plays happen, we're on the same page.
Texas Topics / Re: Test
« Last post by JasonTX on July 18, 2018, 03:11:37 PM »
AR 6-5-3-VI
"While a free kick is in the air, B21 gives a waving signal that does not meet
all the requirements of a valid fair catch signal
. The ball is caught by: (a)
B21 at the B-5; or (b) B44 at the B-5. RULING: The ball is dead when
caught. (a) Team B ball, first and 10 at the 25-yard line; (b) Team B ball,
first and 10 at the 5-yard line."

That AR has two different B players making the catch.  The player making the signal, valid or invalid, has to be the one making the catch.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10