Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: Arm Sleeves
« Last post by Ralph Damren on April 10, 2024, 07:59:39 AM »
1-3a-5: Any transerse stripe on the sleeve below the elbow.  P_S

1-3c-1 : Ball-colored helmets,jerseys,patches,exterior arm covers/pads undershirts or gloves.  P_S

PER PROCLAMATION OF THE FASHION POLICE
 P_S P_S P_S P_S P_S (5-man crew)
NCAA Discussion / Re: Rogers Redding
« Last post by bama_stripes on April 10, 2024, 07:34:56 AM »
I’m sorry to hear this.  I had the opportunity to talk with Rogers a couple of times when he was an on-field WH in the SEC, and he was always gracious with his time and advice.  Prayers for peace and comfort for his family.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Arm Sleeves
« Last post by sczeebra on April 10, 2024, 07:08:47 AM »
Just ask your umpire if it's dangerous, confusing or inappropriate.
National Federation Discussion / Arm Sleeves
« Last post by KDJBBBJ on April 09, 2024, 06:43:45 PM »
Are there any restrictions on having a team logo or team name on an arm sleeve?  The only thing i could find on uniform adornments was about having one on the towel.
NCAA Discussion / Re: Rogers Redding
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 09, 2024, 11:22:48 AM »
I had heard that, as well (from very reliable sources). A true case of a good man who will be sorely missed. May God bless his family.

NCAA Discussion / Rogers Redding
« Last post by Grant - AR on April 09, 2024, 10:52:07 AM »
I heard a couple of days ago that Rogers has passed away.  Please keep his wife and family in your prayers. 
NCAA Discussion / Re: Fair Catch rules
« Last post by ElvisLives on April 08, 2024, 01:36:56 PM »
Well, crap. 10 years ago was during the period that I was briefly retired. But no excuse. For a strict interpretationist like me, I should have been able to see that ANY signal given by any Team B player, anywhere on the field, while the legally kicked ball is still loose will cause the ball to become dead when possessed by Team B. Team A can always catch/recover/advance a ball that is still loose from a legal kick that has NOT crossed the NZ.
As for why Team A can advance the kicked ball that is still loose from a kick that has not crossed the NZ, after a signal by Team B, that is because Team A does not have the fair catch privilege. Only Team B. So, a Team A player can catch/recover the kicked ball before it has crossed the NZ, and advance, because everyone knows that he does not have the privilege of not being blocked/tackled when he catches/recovers the ball, regardless of which team gave a signal.
Strictly reading 2-8-2 and 2-8-3, there is no mention of where on the field the signal may, or may not be given. So, by pure interpretation, that means a there is no restriction on WHERE a signal may be given. And, they also say that the only valid signals are those by Team B, and even the only INVALD signals are those given by Team B. The quoted AR reinforces this by stating that ANY signal by Team A is ignored.
So, if Team B makes any kind of signal while the kick is still a kick, Team B may not advance it if they catch/recover it. Team A can always catch/recover/advance a kick until it has crossed the NZ (even if they give a signal).

And by signal, it does require some amount of movement that can be said to be a waving motion. Only pointing is not a signal.
« Last post by dammitbobby on April 08, 2024, 12:54:34 PM »
That's probably what they mean, but I don't think it's really that clear.

Additional thought - why does A's signal behind the NZ keep the ball alive after a catch, but B's doesn't?  What's the distinction between A signaling and B signaling, if they're essentially the same (both invalid)?

What if B signals, but A catches? Or if they both signal?
« Last post by Kalle on April 08, 2024, 12:24:59 PM »
AR 6-5-3

A1 or B1 signals for a fair catch beyond the neutral zone during a kick that does not cross the neutral zone. RULING: Any signal by Team A is ignored. Team B may not make a fair catch signal because the ball did not
cross the neutral zone. However, the ball is dead when caught or recovered (Rules 2-8-1-a and 4-1-3-g).

Being very pedantic, this is worded incorrectly. The first sentence says A1 or B1 makes a FC signal, but in the ruling, it says B is not allowed to - is doing so a foul? Is it a violation? Is it ignored? If it's ignored (which it kind of seems to be), why doesn't it say 'Any signal by Team A OR B is ignored?'

Things to ponder, waiting on the eclipse...

My take of the A.R. is that if A1 does a high waving signal, that is ignored and the ball will continue to be in play if caught or recovered by team B. If B1 does a high waving signal, fair catch rules do not kick in but the ball will become dead when possessed by a player of either team.
« Last post by dammitbobby on April 08, 2024, 09:17:44 AM »
AR 6-5-3

A1 or B1 signals for a fair catch beyond the neutral zone during a kick that does not cross the neutral zone. RULING: Any signal by Team A is ignored. Team B may not make a fair catch signal because the ball did not
cross the neutral zone. However, the ball is dead when caught or recovered (Rules 2-8-1-a and 4-1-3-g).

Being very pedantic, this is worded incorrectly. The first sentence says A1 or B1 makes a FC signal, but in the ruling, it says B is not allowed to - is doing so a foul? Is it a violation? Is it ignored? If it's ignored (which it kind of seems to be), why doesn't it say 'Any signal by Team A OR B is ignored?'

Things to ponder, waiting on the eclipse...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10