Author Topic: Harvey  (Read 8107 times)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Harvey
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:22:07 PM »
Lots of scrimmages being cancelled and rescheduled way down here in south central Texas.  Hope everyone stays safe.  Forecast is for 12 to 20 inches of rain in my neck of the woods.  Time for a row boat.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Harvey
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 04:53:45 AM »
Amazing how a small storm that was supposed to fizzle out after crossing the Yucatán has turned into a monster so quickly. Everyone in south Texas be safe over the next few days. Those of us who live along other regions of the Gulf Coast don't envy you one bit.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:14:22 AM »
As much as I'd like to make some light-hearted comment, I can't, because Harvey is quite likely to literally wreak havoc on property and infrastructure.  That we can deal with.  But potential physical harm to people is our concern, because that is not so easy to deal with.  If you are in potential danger, I hope you are not reading this, and are already headed to safer ground.  Everything else, including football, will wait.  Please, please - everyone - be safe. 

Robert

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:45:13 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 03:20:57 PM »
Latest is Harvey to come in between Corpus and Houston as a Cat 3 with a ton of rain

Lots of flooding

Everyone be safe
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 06:04:03 PM »
A little inside information,

Potential of this storm is it could be a larger economic event than Super Storm Sandy with the flooding

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »
Upgraded to a cat 4 about an hour ago.   :!#
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 08:56:37 PM »
Both of my scrimmages this week were either cancelled or time pulled in.  No way you can get enough officials to take off work to get to a scrimmage at 230PM.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 05:52:31 PM by TexDoc »

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Just a guess, but you can pretty much scratch this weeks games any where in the Houston area all the way down to Corpus

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »
Most week 1 games have been cancelled.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »
Football should be the last thing on their mind.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »
Football should be the last thing on their mind.

Agree completely,

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 05:40:50 PM »
Looking at some of he media reports this eerily reminds me of New Orleans and Katrina, only worse. 50 inches of rain is just unimaginable. 🙏🙏 for everyone in South Texas.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 10:49:29 AM »

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »
My week 1 game has been cancelled.  Worst flooding in 100 years is what the coach said.  Puts things in perspective.  Some things are just more important. 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »
http://www.texasfootball.com/Hurricane/

My game isn't on this list so expect it to grow.  Hopefully the ones that can play will reschedule to play one another.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 02:07:12 PM »
My prayers are with all you being affected.  It's amazing seeing all the pictures and video of the locations underwater.  It's hard to believe many of us were just there exactly a month ago for the state meeting. 

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 03:15:06 PM »
I have no doubt that even more games will be affected by the time Friday gets here.  I wonder if the UIL has considered postponing/canceling all games this week, just to let everybody get on the same page, and forget about the trappings of football for a week.  Put things in the right perspective, and focus on more important things.

Robert

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 11:02:38 AM »
Is anyone aware of fellow officials in the Houston/CC regions that are in need of direct or immediate help? 

I saw a friend today say that the waters are starting to recede but that it is still very dangerous for non first responders. 

This is the kind of thing where we should be rallying around our brothers in stripes and helping when and where we can. 
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 11:04:22 AM »
I have no doubt that even more games will be affected by the time Friday gets here.  I wonder if the UIL has considered postponing/canceling all games this week, just to let everybody get on the same page, and forget about the trappings of football for a week.  Put things in the right perspective, and focus on more important things.

Robert

It would not make sense for the UIL to postpone/cancel all games across the state this week when in the grand scheme of things the greater majority of games will be played.  It's really no different than an area being affected on a Friday night due to games cancelled for lightning and storms.  Most seasons we see a good number of games cancelled in weeks 1 and 2 because of storms and lightning and those schools do not want to postpone and come back the next day to play since week 1 & 2 are typically meaningless games. 

Our thoughts and prayers in the Panhandle are with all those affected on the Gulf Coast and we hope there is a way to recover quickly for all. 

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »
It will get worse before it gets better. The Addicks reservoir just topped and if that levee breaks watch out as it holds 150' deep of water

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »
It will get worse before it gets better. The Addicks reservoir just topped and if that levee breaks watch out as it holds 150' deep of water

I just read about that.  They are telling people in Brazoria County to get out.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/houston-area-levee-breached-residents-told-to-get-out-now

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »
.... It's really no different than an area being affected on a Friday night due to games cancelled for lightning and storms.
While your throughts and prayers are most likely appreciated by those on the coast, that's a pretty thoughtless statement to make in light of the fact thousands are losing everything they own, and things will only get worse before they get better. Be thankful it's not you.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
I am in Klein and am dry with electricity.  Kingwood and Katy are underwater along with Brazoria County, Dickinson and Clear Creek ISD are not good either.  Not looking good for week 2 either down here.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
It's very sad that disasters seem to bring out the crooks and price gougers.  I've heard on the news that some stores are charging as much as $90 for a case of water and gas as high as $9.00. 

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »
The AG will get them on the gas price. I believe he set a max price of $4.00.