Author Topic: Football weather!  (Read 3694 times)

Offline salth2o

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Football weather!
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »
A cool front finally made it to Houston!  Wont be long now until some of our crew members will be wanting to break out the long sleeves.  :)

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
Re: Football weather!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
I'm curious what the temperature threshold is for breaking out the long sleeves. Precipitation will often factor in. One of the coldest games I ever worked was in the mid 50's with light rain. It was a sudden change in temps and we had not become acclimated yet. We're sure to hear some regional bravado but what is your realistic mark?
We will generally work into the 50's in short sleeves.

Offline salth2o

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 01:35:29 PM »
We joke with our crew chief that if the temp drops below 80 he is calling for long sleeves.   ;D   Realistically we will wear sleeves when it's in the mid 60's at kickoff.   You know for us Houstonian's, middle 60's is the dead of winter.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:29:07 AM »
SA/Austin area, we won't break out the long sleeves unless it is windy and in mid to low 50's, although some on the crew would like to wear them at about 75 degrees.  Do long sleeves really keep you that much warmer?  I think a thicker shirt underneath would work better. 

Offline mobetta285

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 09:59:06 AM »
I agree with Doc. Once you start running around you warm up pretty well. I do wear UnderArmor Severe Cold and tights, but I am one of those nuts who loves the colder weather. That being said, nobody likes 30s and snow/sleet, and that's when I become the Michelin Man. :-)

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:10:15 AM »
I agree with Doc. Once you start running around you warm up pretty well. I do wear UnderArmor Severe Cold and tights, but I am one of those nuts who loves the colder weather. That being said, nobody likes 30s and snow/sleet, and that's when I become the Michelin Man. :-)

Um, you start off as him, and just go from there!  Who loves ya, JB?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 01:52:04 PM »

I started my officiating career in Amarillo

We can tell some stories about cold Friday nights!!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 03:12:49 PM »
what is this 'fall weather' yall speak of?
:)

cheers

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
Yesterday was the FIRST day this season that I would have seriously considered going long. I've been on three crews the last three games and they've all irritated me wanting to wear sleeves in 64, 58, and 57 degrees, respectively. The first one was up in the Amarillo area and I can at least understand the sentiment there. It had dropped overnight from 70 to about 45 in the morning and when we arrived at the stadium it was honestly chilly. Light breeze made it feel cooler too. But since 3 of us hadnt even brought sleeves, we had to go short. Thank God for that because at the 2nd half, the sun came out and it got pretty warm.
The next week, back in Dallas it had been raining a few days before and the air temp was in the mid 50s. Again, some wanted to wear sleeves but enough of us put a kibosh on that mess. Again, good call because at both halves, we were all hot and sweaty from running around in the games. This last Sat, my R made a comment that I agree with "If there is a 4 as the first number, THEN we will wear sleeves."

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 11:39:00 PM »
DFW metro area ---- If there is a 5 in front of the number, I am going to want to wear long sleeves.  Long underwear comes on if there is a brisk wind or the number starts with a 4, of if its going to rain...

Not a fan of the cold weather and calling games.  REALLY not a fan of the rain and even mildly cooler weather...  Prefer 105 to 45 any day of the week.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »
  Prefer 105 to 45 any day of the week.

Oh hell naw, I'll take 45. 

Offline salth2o

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »
  Prefer 105 to 45 any day of the week.