Author Topic: Fair Catch - Muff - Contact  (Read 2399 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Fair Catch - Muff - Contact
« on: October 11, 2018, 01:13:09 PM »
I don't see this covered in 6-5, and don't have a case book handy.  Any help is appreciated.

The punt returner gives a valid fair catch signal, then muffs the punt back up into the air.  The defender makes contact with the punt returner while the ball is still in the air.  Is this a foul?
Under the Fair Catch section in Redding's, he says that the receiver loses protection after the muff and may be contacted immediately.  Is there a case book play that applies here?  Thanks.

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Fair Catch - Muff - Contact
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 02:05:35 PM »
I am having a hard time even seeing how this could happen. Punt coming down, R calls fair catch, ball hits off hands and bounces back into air? Not hitting the ground? I am thinking no protection. Did you have this in a game? How did the crew call it?

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 02:16:47 PM »
Case Play 6-5-2: During a scrimmage kick beyond the expanded neutral zone, R1 gives a fair-catch signal. He muffs the kick into the air, where: [a omitted] (b) K2 pushes R1 in an attempt to reach the ball, (c) K2 tackles R1 following the muff, preventing R1 from catching the kick.

Ruling: (b), the contact on R1 is legal because K may retain possession following the muff by R1; (c) it is a holding foul for K3 to tackle R1 following the muff, thus preventing him from reaching the ball.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:05:24 PM »
Case Play 6-5-2: During a scrimmage kick beyond the expanded neutral zone, R1 gives a fair-catch signal. He muffs the kick into the air, where: [a omitted] (b) K2 pushes R1 in an attempt to reach the ball, (c) K2 tackles R1 following the muff, preventing R1 from catching the kick.

Ruling: (b), the contact on R1 is legal because K may retain possession following the muff by R1; (c) it is a holding foul for K3 to tackle R1 following the muff, thus preventing him from reaching the ball.

+1 Thanks NC, I appreciate it.

Chad, my crew didn't have it, but another one did.  Punt hit the kid right in the face mask and bounced back into the air.

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 08:48:51 AM »
+1 Thanks NC, I appreciate it.

Chad, my crew didn't have it, but another one did.  Punt hit the kid right in the face mask and bounced back into the air.

That makes significantly more sense! By the way I used this scenario in our pregame yesterday, before my Thursday night varsity game.