Author Topic: Saddest Thing I've Heard on the Field  (Read 15441 times)

FredFan7

Saddest Thing I've Heard on the Field
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »
JV game.  Team A QB throws an incomplete pass.  As we're resetting the ball, and the QB is trying to call the next play, we hear from the stands, "Come on (name)!  You gotta fire it in there!!"  From the huddle I hear in a in a pained, exasperated, and frustrated voice, "Shut up, Dad!"  before he called the next play. 

Sometimes I think football would be better served if some parents weren't allowed to watch their children play.  Can you imagine the conversation around the dinner table that night at the QB's house?

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
Re: Saddest Thing I've Heard on the Field
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »
Many times I have said that the game would be better and the kids have more fun if the adults were not allowed in the stadium.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:03:29 AM »
Was calling a Peewee game (9 and 10 I think) where one team had a kid with 1 arm.  So they played him at WR and CB and he played well for his obvious limitations.  So the team was winning by 20 or so points in the 4th quarter when they call a timeout they are going to throw the kid a pass.  A parent yells from the sideline, " it would be nice if my kid got some special plays ran for him, he needs the practice for his scholarships".  One arms dad goes over there (he is ripped) and calls the guy out they go out to the parking lot (atleast they did not do it in front of the kids).  Both kids are crying it was a horrible ordeal.

jjseikel

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
Was calling a Peewee game (9 and 10 I think) where one team had a kid with 1 arm.  So they played him at WR and CB and he played well for his obvious limitations.  So the team was winning by 20 or so points in the 4th quarter when they call a timeout they are going to throw the kid a pass.  A parent yells from the sideline, " it would be nice if my kid got some special plays ran for him, he needs the practice for his scholarships".  One arms dad goes over there (he is ripped) and calls the guy out they go out to the parking lot (atleast they did not do it in front of the kids).  Both kids are crying it was a horrible ordeal.

How sad! 9/10 year olds and scholarship should not be mentioned together in the same paragraph!

BenG

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 06:08:43 AM »
Offensive Coordinator (after a sack, during a timeout): Why didn't you through the ball?

Young QB: He wasn't open.

Offensive Coordinator (getting more worked up): I don't care - you've got to make that throw!

Very next play the QB throws an interception so - back to my sideline:

Offensive Coordinator (now getting apoplectic with the young QB (who's obviously upset because he's just thrown an INT): Why did you throw the ball?

Young QB: Because you told me too!

There's steam coming out of the O-Coordinators head and the Young QB looks like he's close to crying.

Thankfully the Head Coach, calls the kid over and says: "Good Effort out there, Unlucky with the throw - now lets get ready to go out there again when we get the ball back".

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 12:40:01 AM »
Can we clone that coach? (The head coach obviosuly)
I don't care if he understands rules or mechanics, that is what I want to see on the sideline!

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »
The game is late in the forth quarter. Home team scores and I let fly with two flags. This is my discussion with the White Hat.

"What in the world do we have here?"
"Provided there are no other flags"
"There are none"
"I have a touchdown by Blue with clean hands, eight yards deep in the endzone I have a dead ball, personal foul late hit by #46 white."
"Good call I saw that"
"Thank you"
"What about the other flag?"
"While I was admonishing #46 for his lack of concentration and the poor position he put his team in because of the late hit, #10 White unsnaps his chinstrap and declares his desire to have illicite sexual relations with me"
"He what?"
"Oh. it gets better, when I inquired about his true intent, he then removed his helmet and expressed his desire for me to have illicite sexual relations with my Mother."
"I think it's time the young lad goes home."
"He has already been advised that he gets to go home early this evening"

"You realize that I have officiated for more than 20 years, and you have just described exactly what was said without actually using the word. No one can dispute what was said, I can't wait to see the coaches reactions to this."
The Home Team Coaches were howling after we explained the penalty and the ejection.
The Visiting Head Coach said, "Well you just took away my main argument about your being able to use the word and not him. There is no doubt about what he said, I can't blame you for sending him home early. Good Job !"

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 07:43:40 PM »
I believe I requested a player be penalized because "he suggested his opponent perform an act that is physically impossible."

I've personally requested coach-tossing but a few times in my career. The first was for a coach that was dropping swear-words at HIS OWN TEAM of nine-year olds, loud enough for anyone in the stands to hear.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 07:45:49 PM by Livin' in the pit »

jake2510

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 04:08:08 AM »
I had a kid go down with a neck injury Tuesday night, no trainer or EMTs' at the game so we call for an ambulance and while the opposing teams coach is on the phone with the dispatcher I hear a coach say "did we really need to call 911."

FredFan7

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »
I had a kid go down with a neck injury Tuesday night, no trainer or EMTs' at the game so we call for an ambulance and while the opposing teams coach is on the phone with the dispatcher I hear a coach say "did we really need to call 911."

I would question that coach's employment with that school district.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »
Reading this topic for the first time brought back memories of when I was a wide-eyed  :o wingman. A pass was thrown into my coverage area. B's contact arrived a split-second after the ball and the receiver dropped the pass. Under the restraining rope and out to the sideline came the kid's dad, screaming : "THAT WAS PASS INTERFERENCE, THAT WAS #%$&*^@ INTERFERENCE >:( >:( !". I realized that it was my heating oil delivery man and he had drank enough antifreeze for 40 below. His kid picked up the incomplete pass and handed it to me. With tears in his eyes, he said : "I wish dad wouldn't come to these games  :'( ."

I was rather meek back then and did nothing. I feared :
 (1) It would bring undue further attention to his son.
 (2) I would still need some heating oil as Winter was a' coming :( ."

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 08:07:44 AM »
It's the volume on that damn "2nd click".  When a child is born, there are always 2 "clicks", the first one is the sound of the new spotlight (for the child) being turned on.  Everyone hears that click.

There is ALWAYS a second, more subtle click, that unfortunately a lot of parents don't hear (or refuse to pay attention to).  That 2nd click is the sound of their spotlight being turned off, so the first spotlight can gather it's own attention.

Offline Rmars86

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »
Had an 8th grade "A" game this year that really disappointed me.

The home team's coach did all of the following :
 - Requested to run the clock from the start of the game.  (Declined)
 - Loudly yelled "we're not going to win this game anyway, so who cares" multiple times.
 - When down by two touchdowns in the 3rd quarter - yelled at his quarterback for throwing a pass.  The kid's response was "I'm trying to win the game coach".  His response was "We're trying to run the clock out, we're not going to win this game."
 - Was generally demeaning towards his team when they screwed up, calling them names, etc.

It was the most pathetic excuse of a coach/ role model as I've ever seen.

Offline yarnnelg

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 08:24:42 PM »
I was on the Board in Little League. After one long grueling, trying night I offered this observation. "We need to tear down the concession stand, remove all the bleachers, yank out the fences and backstops, then chase every adult from the field. The kids will set up bases, define foul lines and will play the game in absolute bliss. The biggest problems involve 30 plus year old kids that never grew up.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 09:28:42 AM »
I was on the Board in Little League. After one long grueling, trying night I offered this observation. "We need to tear down the concession stand, remove all the bleachers, yank out the fences and backstops, then chase every adult from the field. The kids will set up bases, define foul lines and will play the game in absolute bliss. The biggest problems involve 30 plus year old kids that never grew up.

A friend of mine was the umpire in chief for a local city league baseball program.  The best rule he created was one that said, if a fan is ejected from the field, the head coach goes with him.  That put pressure on the coach to help calm the fans down.  He said they had very, very few ejections after that rule was instituted. 

Offline justbill13

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
I umpired a HS baseball game where the Shortstop asked me if I could eject his mom. 

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 08:04:16 AM »
A friend of mine was the umpire in chief for a local city league baseball program.  The best rule he created was one that said, if a fan is ejected from the field, the head coach goes with him.  That put pressure on the coach to help calm the fans down.  He said they had very, very few ejections after that rule was instituted.

For several years, my local little league had a rule that if a parent got ejected, their child had to leave, too.  Don't know if they still do, as I haven't umped for them in years now.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 09:11:21 AM »
I don't like penalizing the coach or player for something the parent does. There isn't much the coach can do to control the parents and doing that will only drive good coaches away. Penalizing the child for his/her parent's behavior also won't solve anything. Leagues should address the parents who act out directly and leave it at that. There's only so much they can do. Some parents will always be unsportsmanlike regardless of what is done. Get rid of the really bad ones.

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 03:13:29 PM »
I umpired a HS baseball game where the Shortstop asked me if I could eject his mom.

A few years back in a youth game (7-8 year olds) I had a head coach ask me to eject one of his assistants.

Offline yarnnelg

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 02:01:31 PM »
This one struck home. Head Coach for a Girls' Fast Pitch 19-21 year old team. Called time out, switched the Center Fielder to Right, Pitcher to Center and the Right Fielder on the mound. Center Fielder is walking to right field no hustle .....Coach yelled to his daughter from the dugout ...... "Jog to your position or get off the field!" She jogged to her position.

Driving home after a hard fought game......my daughter, sitting in the passenger seat, says "I love you as a Father. I hate you as a Coach."

I changed my whole approach to Coaching after that ride home. After all "There is no crying in baseball." "Softball neither."