Author Topic: SAT crew in 3aD1  (Read 34619 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: SAT crew in 3aD1
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2015, 01:48:17 PM »
Not if one is using OSHA guidelines
I have no dog in this hunt, but you just proved something to everyone on this board that many suspected: you know it all, and you have no desire to listen to those who've been up and down a field more than a few times. I hope you're only on a low rung of that proverbial ladder when the bottom falls out.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2015, 02:34:13 PM »
I have no dog in this hunt, but you just proved something to everyone on this board that many suspected: you know it all, and you have no desire to listen to those who've been up and down a field more than a few times. I hope you're only on a low rung of that proverbial ladder when the bottom falls out.

I don't know it all by any means but just because you have been around along time does not mean its impossible to be wrong, I brought logical and valid points to a discussion and most assumed I was wrong because someone that has more years in said so, that menatlity keeps the more experinced ones from ever reaching there full potential, choosing to listen to someone solely because they have been up and down the field a few more times would be misguided on my part and that happens a lot to younger officals

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2015, 03:47:11 PM »
You still don't get it.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

SA_Zebra

« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2015, 10:29:16 AM »
I stated that I couldn't find the bulletin after extensive research, I don't know who my chapters main trainer is...and yea this is just something I know...after 3 years

You've been in the chapter three years and don't know who the main trainer is? Seems that should be one of the first ones you are exposed to as a new member. You mind saying which chapter you are in? ???

Offline first_year_guy

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2015, 08:21:29 PM »
Houston

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
SAT crew in 3aD1
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2015, 08:27:19 PM »

Houston

I think there is a guy over there named Tommy Moore or something like that. :-). He'd be a great mentor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline beaye1

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2015, 01:11:13 PM »
How about this?  The NG is right in front of the center after the QB has started his cadence and yells "MOVE".  Everyone except him moves causing players to move.  FST.  If you are going to move you would think that you as the one make the call would move also.  If a LB made the call and everyone except the NG moved then I could understand this.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2015, 01:23:42 PM »
How about this?  The NG is right in front of the center after the QB has started his cadence and yells "MOVE".  Everyone except him moves causing players to move.  FST.  If you are going to move you would think that you as the one make the call would move also.  If a LB made the call and everyone except the NG moved then I could understand this.

I'm not sure I understand your statement.  Are you saying we should call FST in this situation?  No way if that's what you're saying.  If the NG makes the call once QB get  under center, then the offense jumps, it is on the D. 

Offline beaye1

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
 If the NG makes the call once QB gets under center, then the offense jumps, it is on the D. 

That's what I'm saying Doc. 

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »
If the NG makes the call once QB gets under center, then the offense jumps, it is on the D. 

That's what I'm saying Doc.

Got it. tiphat:

Offline mobetta285

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »
This play situation that third-year-guy brought up is a pet peeve of mine. I do not mind the stemming, it is the cadence that either a LB or DL uses to signal the shift. In my pregame with the coach I always ask if they stem. I don't care who calls the stem, but if the QB has started his cadence, then it becomes a judgment call on me and I will err on the side of disconcerting signals. NCAA rule book, Rule 3-4-2-b-4 covers this as well as 7-1-5-a-3. I think if we all as U's cracked down on this play situation, it will fade from the game. DL can move—as long as they are not in the neutral zone—without someone calling it out. My $0.02 with 24 years of experience.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
Interesting that we seem to only see it at the HS level.  Rarely if ever at college level.  That tells me the conferences have told the schools to knock off the BS.  This has been an issue around here for at least the last 3 years.  But like you say , inconsistent handling is causing it to continue.  I get it that U's don't always hear something being said at the LOS but we gotta get tuned in for this

Offline first_year_guy

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2015, 09:22:37 PM »
It actually happens a lot at the college level...thats where the high school coaches got it from

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
SAT crew in 3aD1
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2015, 11:50:32 PM »
I see it very seldom at the college level but it happened in the Holiday Bowl and correctly called against the defense as DOG disconcerting signals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2015, 07:33:47 AM »
Which tells me at a minimum SEC officials understand the rule.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline first_year_guy

« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2015, 10:29:49 AM »
Which tells me at a minimum SEC officials understand the rule.

You must be watching different college ball than FBS

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »
As an Unpire I have seen this several times past few years in games.  Most recently in a playoff game this year. Def lineman were yelling "shift" as close as possible to snap with head bob.  We had a discussion with coach to stop it and he didn't like it but it went away.

Would like to see clear language in the rules on this as I do think coaches are taking advantage of this to draw a FST and not really make a legitimate signal.

My 2 cents worth.

Offline Hondo

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
SAT crew in 3aD1
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »
I'll say it again. This is a perfect example of something TASO can do. A memo/video to their members and the coaches explaining this rule and how we want this called at the high school levels. Lots of video on this from this years state championship games, especially Franklin-Waskom and Brock game.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:07:00 PM by Hondo »

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2016, 11:11:16 PM »
Maybe Tommy can put his commentary in his weekly email (that many do not read) on YouTube when they do the video clips next year.  A crew could use the weekly YouTube video as a part of their crew pre-game.

Sadly, many crews and crew members don't want to change or improve and would never show it or see it.  The really unfortunate part of this is that you don't have to change or improve to work deep in the playoffs.  You simply have to either have a strong connection to a few influential coaches, or you have to be in tight with the power players at the local chapter level.  We don't work within a system that is based on merit and changing it is apparently impossible. hEaDbAnG deadhorse: