Author Topic: Masks  (Read 3660 times)

Offline JBall

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Masks
« on: August 15, 2020, 08:18:09 PM »
Since we all have to wear them at some point has anyone tested out a few different types of masks yet?  I don't plan on wearing during a game but will have mine on me.  Has anyone tried the smitty mask or any other for a good recommendation?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Masks
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 09:17:37 PM »
For what it is worth, our chapter is buying ‘gaitors’ for the entire membership, mostly to make sure everyone has a black face covering, but, also, to provide some level of uniformity. As for the effectiveness or comfort of these face coverings, I can’t truly speak to that. But, this way, we know that everyone that elects to use a face covering will a) have one, and b) will have a black one.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »
For what it is worth, our chapter is buying ‘gaitors’ for the entire membership, mostly to make sure everyone has a black face covering, but, also, to provide some level of uniformity. As for the effectiveness or comfort of these face coverings, I can’t truly speak to that. But, this way, we know that everyone that elects to use a face covering will a) have one, and b) will have a black one.

I worked a scrimmage yesterday wearing a gaiter.  It wasn't comfortable, but it wasn't unbearable either.  I was able to pull it down under my nose to help me breathe during plays.  I think, after a few games, I'll get used to it.  Based on studies that have come out recently about gaiters, I'm not sure we will be able to wear them in the games, but I would much rather wear a gaiter than an actual mask. 

Offline JBall

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »
I worked a scrimmage yesterday wearing a gaiter.  It wasn't comfortable, but it wasn't unbearable either.  I was able to pull it down under my nose to help me breathe during plays.  I think, after a few games, I'll get used to it.  Based on studies that have come out recently about gaiters, I'm not sure we will be able to wear them in the games, but I would much rather wear a gaiter than an actual mask.

Yeah I saw how they were not very good for covid.  But seeing how they are not required on the field I don't see them being restricted. 

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:43:00 AM »
Makes me wonder if we will be required to wear a face covering when we are in the booth (Clock operators).

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »
While TASO will not require on-field officials to wear a face covering on the field, the individual venues may require on-field officials, clock operators, chain crews, etc. to wear them, within the facilities, and/or on the field. To paraphrase, when in Rome, you must do as the Romans dictate. Like it or not. Strongly recommend that your assigners contact the schools to find out what the requirement will be at each venue, to give officials an advanced opportunity to decline to work at a venue, if they feel that strongly about not wearing a mask, or are un-equipped.

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 06:39:56 PM »
I always have a mask in the car, I also have a spare at home.

During these uncertain times, you never know when you are going to need one.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 08:38:39 PM »

That is the problem with mask in general. We keep ( me included) pulling the up, around, over, down, etc.  The biggest threat is from our unclean or tainted hands touching our face.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 10:55:36 PM »
That is the problem with mask in general. We keep ( me included) pulling the up, around, over, down, etc.  The biggest threat is from our unclean or tainted hands touching our face.

I had a hard time breathing with mine on.  Gotta have discipline to not touch your face.  It is my opinion that is where most of the infections are taking place when you touch a surface and then touch your face.

Unrelated to football:  I went to a job today and knocked on the door and was politely asked to put a mask on.  Was no issue as we carry them with us and always have, regardless of Covid.  Finished the job and was told "thank you" for wearing the mask.  In some places you might get assaulted for not wearing one.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 06:45:32 PM »

Because it’s all for show

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 12:11:48 PM »
Because it’s all for show

Care to clarify?

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 12:40:43 PM »
If we’re talking legitimate medical issues related to the wearing of masks as we officiate, then please continue. But, let’s not get political in this specific Topic area. Take that to the Non-Officiating area below, please.

Thankfully, we don’t have to wear them except for coaches meetings and coin toss, and in/out of stadium. Some do anyway. Two on my crew are included in that. I have to wear them more for business than officiating. Total pain in the butt, but we do our part. We all wish we knew for certain if they are really doing any good. Maybe in large inner cities. But out here in rural cities, towns, and communities, it just seems like so much “political correctness,” more so than real medical benefit. No one knows for certain. Not too much of an issue during games. So we carry on.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 09:45:25 AM »
If we’re talking legitimate medical issues related to the wearing of masks as we officiate, then please continue. But, let’s not get political in this specific Topic area. Take that to the Non-Officiating area below, please.

Thankfully, we don’t have to wear them except for coaches meetings and coin toss, and in/out of stadium. Some do anyway. Two on my crew are included in that. I have to wear them more for business than officiating. Total pain in the butt, but we do our part. We all wish we knew for certain if they are really doing any good. Maybe in large inner cities. But out here in rural cities, towns, and communities, it just seems like so much “political correctness,” more so than real medical benefit. No one knows for certain. Not too much of an issue during games. So we carry on.

Masks work, conclusively and without any doubt, to be an effective means to reduce the transmission of the virus from the person wearing it to others around them, whether that is 1 person or 100 people. Please don't cast unfounded doubt and aspersions, especially in a post in which you begin by asking people to "not get political."

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »

Masks work, conclusively and without any doubt, to be an effective means to reduce the transmission of the virus from the person wearing it to others around them, whether that is 1 person or 100 people. Please don't cast unfounded doubt and aspersions, especially in a post in which you begin by asking people to "not get political."

The medical community can't even come to an agreement on this.  One hand says its effective and the other hand says no.  It's not political.  Medical people often disagree and this is just one area

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 04:17:53 PM »
The medical community can't even come to an agreement on this.  One hand says its effective and the other hand says no.  It's not political.  Medical people often disagree and this is just one area

This is nonsense. There is no debate in "the medical community" as to whether masks can reduce the transmission of COVID from an infected person to others. None at all. Don't spread misinformation.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 04:29:04 PM »

This is nonsense. There is no debate in "the medical community" as to whether masks can reduce the transmission of COVID from an infected person to others. None at all. Don't spread misinformation.

BS.  Even the top doc Fauci has gone back and forth on this a dozen times.  Same here among local doctors.   No misinformation about it.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »
I saw/heard/read a story on masks.   They do a very good job keeping a person from spreading the virus because they catch the great majority of water droplets from a person's mouth when they breath/cough/sneeze/talk.   But they are not nearly as efficient in stopping the droplets from someone that is not wearing a mask.   So if you wear one, you are protecting the others you mingle with.  But if one of them isn't wearing a mask and their "droplets" gets on your mask, face, hands or other items you touch then you have a bigger probability of being infected.

This makes sense to me and speaks to both sides of the argument.