Author Topic: Momentum?  (Read 3893 times)

Offline CaseyP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Momentum?
« on: September 03, 2017, 05:22:59 PM »
Defender B10 leaps to intercept A's pass at the 1 yd line.  His feet land (with ball in possession) at the one foot line and he falls backward into the EZ.  The ball at the time of possession was over the endline.   Momentum rule or touchback?

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Momentum?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 05:27:26 PM »
Defender B10 leaps to intercept A's pass at the 1 yd line.  His feet land (with ball in possession) at the one foot line and he falls backward into the EZ.  The ball at the time of possession was over the endline.   Momentum rule or touchback?
That's gonna be a TB every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline CaseyP

Re: Momentum?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 05:33:32 PM »
Can I get a rule citing...

I agree btw

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 06:28:31 PM »
I am sure by "end line" you mean goal line.  If the ball was over the goal line, then the ball was in the end zone when possessed, and the pass successfully received, making it a touchback.  Rule 8-5-3d - "A forward pass is intercepted in B's end zone and becomes dead there in B's possession."

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 06:44:04 PM »
I am sure by "end line" you mean goal line.  If the ball was over the goal line, then the ball was in the end zone when possessed, and the pass successfully received, making it a touchback.  Rule 8-5-3d - "A forward pass is intercepted in B's end zone and becomes dead there in B's possession."

The "Momentum exception" (8-5-2a) references possession of an intercepted pass, opponent's recovered fumble or backwards pass or an R player catching or recovering a free or scrimmage kick "between his 5 yard line and the goal line, and his original momentum carries him into the EZ......."

Offline CaseyP

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
Yes, goal line.

Back judge is young.  it was long pass and he bean bagged where his feet touched.  When we got down there no one questioned it.  Then we saw Hudl film...

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »

If the BJ had the ball at the "one foot line" with the player falling into the end zone, when the ball is placed for the next down, there's about an inch between the ball and the goal line. No official's eyes are good enough to place a gnat's eyelash between the ball and the goal line when things are moving at game speed. Make that a touchback.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:33:46 PM by VA Official »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 02:45:36 PM »
Nobody will question a touchback in this situation. If they do they're looking for fly poop in the pepper shaker.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 08:18:28 AM »
IMHO, we could add to the "When In Question" guide on page 80 of the manual :

TOUCHBACK or MOMENTUM............TOUCHBACK

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »
IMHO, we could add to the "When In Question" guide on page 80 of the manual :

TOUCHBACK or MOMENTUM............TOUCHBACK
👍👍
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi