Author Topic: Well, I'm back  (Read 6210 times)

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
Re: Well, I'm back
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »
I found the 'Guides for when in question", it on page 81 of the 2018 NFHS game officials manual.  Because of copyrights etc, I wont upload the section, but it is a good resource for officials to use.
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »
Some other guidelines you may choose to use......

(1) Was the kick caught and fumbled or muffed  ??? ?   If you would have ruled it complete if a forward pass = catch and fumble. If not = muff. If unsure, hold your whistle, it's much easier to adjust the clock, if it is then determined to be a muff than to become an eager tweeter if not.

(2) If A fumbles near its goal line and B muffs ball into the end zone, if the fumble had a chance of rolling into the EZ without the muff, rule safety if recovered by A in there. If fumble was bouncing away form EZ, B's muff would now add a new force.

(3) If teammate(s) are aiding the runner, rule his forward progress has stopped.

To flag  ^flag or not to  ^no. I'll respond to calls from coaches on the rules, no on judgement; however, I still get several on foul calls every year. 90% of those are on flags the coach doesn't think should have been thrown and 10 % are on flags they think should have been thrown. It's much easier to explain that the official was probably  screened or didn't see the full play, then to explain why he saw something that didn't appear to happen.

:sTiR: tR:oLl ^flag hEaDbAnG pi1eOn :puke: 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 08:52:30 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »

(2) If A fumbles near its goal line and B muffs ball into the end zone, if the fumble had a chance of rolling into the EZ without the muff, rule safety if recovered by A in there. If fumble was bouncing away form EZ,  A’s B’s muff would now add a new force.

FIFY

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 08:57:58 AM »
FIFY
Thanks, 'Bama, for spotting the error. Being left-handed, I sometimes get things bass ackwards. I still have a concern , when signaling whining the clock, if I should crank as if I was on the inside looking out (counter-clockwise) or on the outside looking in (clockwise). :-X ::) :P ??? 8] :o :(

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
ok, so now I won't be able to sleep at night. Can you even wind a clock counterclockwise?  ^flag pHiNzuP

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2020, 10:43:26 AM »
ok, so now I won't be able to sleep at night. Can you even wind a clock counterclockwise?  ^flag pHiNzuP
We do turn it counter-clockwise on the year's longest day.  ;D

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
Thanks, 'Bama, for spotting the error. Being left-handed, I sometimes get things bass ackwards. I still have a concern , when signaling whining the clock, if I should crank as if I was on the inside looking out (counter-clockwise) or on the outside looking in (clockwise). :-X ::) :P ??? 8] :o :(

I've run WH at a few peewee games, since I keep my finger whistle on my right hand, I'll give S1 and S2 with my left. If I'm supposed to do it clockwise with the right, would that be counterclockwise with the left? If I do it the wrong way, am I signaling that the clock should count *up*?

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
  •   SEE everything you CALL, but;
  •   Don't CALL everything you SEE.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »
I've run WH at a few peewee games, since I keep my finger whistle on my right hand, I'll give S1 and S2 with my left. If I'm supposed to do it clockwise with the right, would that be counterclockwise with the left? If I do it the wrong way, am I signaling that the clock should count *up*?
Only in ice-hockey  :)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2020, 12:58:13 PM »
  •   SEE everything you CALL, but;
  •   Don't CALL everything you SEE.
If you can't SEE anything, CALL for another beer  eAt& eAt& eAt& eAt& eAt& (5-man crew)