Author Topic: "Can you do that in high school?"  (Read 3458 times)

Shoottv

"Can you do that in high school?"
« on: October 09, 2014, 11:00:35 PM »
Interesting game last Friday. During pregame the visiting coach was asked about any special plays they run and described a pick play they run off trips. The white hat explained that if done as explained it could possibly be called as OPI. The coach apologized and said that he was not aware. He had just taken over coaching duties a week ago and had never coached high school before. HOWEVER, he had 32 years coaching at the collegiate level. He'd doing it volunteer as he has a grandson on the team and they needed a coach.

Turns out he and a friend, (both in their 70's and also a retired college guy), had taken over the team after an abrupt departure of the last coach. He was very respectful of our crew and would ask me Fed vs NCAA questions all night because he literally didn't know. NFHS timing and substitutions were a bit of a mystery to him.

Listening to him on his headset and talking to the other coach I realized he was capable of coaching at a level that was lost on his kids. His team got blown out but he wasn't too upset and he just said "they've got some things to work on."

My favorite was when I flagged his tackle for holding the coach was standing behind me and quietly said "I saw it but it was the best block he's thrown all night so I'm not going to yell a him."

A strange Friday night but probably the lowest stress I've had in a varsity game in a long time. Coach was a class act. I wish there were more like him.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
Re: "Can you do that in high school?"
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »
Sounds like the coach is a great guy. Hopefully things will get better for his team.