Author Topic: Announcing Numbers  (Read 18941 times)

Offline theride

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Announcing Numbers
« on: November 13, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »
How many states have the referee announce the numbers when giving penalty enforcement? I know Ohio does, but WV does not. 

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
Re: Announcing Numbers
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 05:16:01 PM »
Numbers not announced per NFHS, unless a State would allow for it.
In fl - no.

BUT in reality, the split-second there's a penalty, most of the coaching staff asks 'what number?' - which is generally heard in the 3rd row by everyone as the R would tell them from mid-field.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »
In Texas, as the only state still following NCAA rules for high school football, we announce numbers.  No negative impact to the game or players.

Robert
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:18:31 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 06:45:35 AM »
No PA announcement in Alabama.  However, most (if not all) crews now use some type of O2O system.  The coaches know they will be given a number fairly quickly, so they don’t yell nearly as much.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:18:53 AM »
In Maine the white hat announces the number along with the foul, acceptance or not, down & distance to the press box. If the fouling player is of the team opposite the press box, the player's number will be relayed to the coach. I haven't had any problems arise. In basketball ,the player's number is shown in neon lights!.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 08:57:12 AM »
Numbers not announced per NFHS, unless a State would allow for it.

I thought this was changed a few years back in the manual to allow announcing numbers.  Did they change it back?  See attached excerpt from 2014-15

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »
Pennsylvania is not allowed to announce numbers.

Offline zebrastripes

• FAN REACTION: +9/-11
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »
NFHS manual allows numbers to be announced. But many states do not use the NFHS manual, so check your local listings.

Personally, the idea that not announcing the number saves a kid from embarrassment is just stupid. Players who foul are announced by name and number over the speaker in basketball and there aren't any issues.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »
How many fouls are there where anyone paying attention can see who it is?

e.g., false start, encroachment , DPI, roughing, intentional grounding, late hit, etc.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 01:03:28 PM »
Fed allows, individual states, such as us, did not adopt it.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »
We are rarely on the microphone so the number announcement is usually no big deal- we still tell the coaches. Last year was the one and only time I had an AD specifically ask that we do not announce the number (even though we were not on a mic) as he thought it embarrassed the player. We did tell the coach when he asked.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »
NFHS manual allows numbers to be announced. But many states do not use the NFHS manual, so check your local listings.

Personally, the idea that not announcing the number saves a kid from embarrassment is just stupid. Players who foul are announced by name and number over the speaker in basketball and there aren't any issues.

When i was in high school the basketball players had to raise their hand when called on a foul...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 02:24:58 PM »
When i was in high school the basketball players had to raise their hand when called on a foul...
That was back in the day when we accepted our errors and moved on.  Today, I am not sure we can embarrass the kiddies without damaging them for life.  :puke:

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 07:44:43 AM »
That was back in the day when we accepted our errors and moved on.  Today, I am not sure we can embarrass the kiddies without damaging them for life.  :puke:
I hope they don't  go on to play basketball! Hearing the PA announcer : "..foul on number 23, that's his 4th...." might require crisis control. :puke: :puke:

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 12:37:43 PM »
Forgive me, but is there a relevant, material reason why ANYONE other than the game Coaches, and the offending player and field officials who needs to know the identity of the offending player, aside from when a player is disqualified (at the NFHS level)?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 09:21:59 AM »
Forgive me, but is there a relevant, material reason why ANYONE other than the game Coaches, and the offending player and field officials who needs to know the identity of the offending player, aside from when a player is disqualified (at the NFHS level)?

There are quite a few HS games on TV nowadays, and announcing the numbers aids the broadcasters.  That said, I have worked TV games where I had a “TV only” mic that served both purposes.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 10:29:36 AM »

Aiding the broadcasters ???

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 05:20:13 PM »

I’ll answer that with a question:  Why were referee’s first outfitted with microphones to begin with?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »
For television
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 07:54:21 AM »
This past weekend I attended a couple of ice hockey games (ice freezes much quicker up here). When a penalty is called there, not only does the naughty party have his number posted on the scoreboard for 2/5 minutes (depending on how naughty he was) but his has to set in a box - for all to see - for a like amount of time :( >:D :'(. Maybe that's why hockey players have such an aggressive attitude ??? :o ::) ??

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »
This past weekend I attended a couple of ice hockey games (ice freezes much quicker up here). When a penalty is called there, not only does the naughty party have his number posted on the scoreboard for 2/5 minutes (depending on how naughty he was) but his has to set in a box - for all to see - for a like amount of time :( >:D :'(. Maybe that's why hockey players have such an aggressive attitude ??? :o ::) ??

I went to a boxing match once and a hockey game broke out. ;D

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »

Unless you're a goalie. In that case, another player serves the penalty FOR you and has HIS number displayed on the board for all to see.

Offline zebrastripes

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 08:42:31 AM »
A better question would be, why wouldn't we announce it? The R already has the information, why withhold it? We announce the foul, the enforcement, unusual situations, timeouts, etc...

By your logic we shouldn't announce anything.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:47:46 AM by zebrastripes »

Offline zebrastripes

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 08:46:56 AM »
We are rarely on the microphone so the number announcement is usually no big deal- we still tell the coaches. Last year was the one and only time I had an AD specifically ask that we do not announce the number (even though we were not on a mic) as he thought it embarrassed the player. We did tell the coach when he asked.
For the perception that football is a sport for the "toughest" athletes, having one's number announced over the PA is certainly a pathetic thing to get embarrassed about. Either the kids need thicker skin or the AD is enabling fragile egos. If my kid complained to me about the R announcing his number, I'd laugh and tell him to get over it.

Again, in basketball the PA announcer generally states the fouling player's number AND name and there are never any issues. Makes no sense why in high school football we have to be concerned about "embarrassing" these supposedly tough kids.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »
A better question would be, why wouldn't we announce it? The R already has the information, why withhold it? We announce the foul, the enforcement, unusual situations, timeouts, etc...

By your logic we shouldn't announce anything.

Not exactly. for 50+ years the common practice was NOT TO ANNOUNCE PLAYERS NUMBERS, although as a courtesy, essentially for "coaching assistance" we usually informed the coach of the offending player, for possible remedial action.  There didn't seem to be ANY NECESSITY, that anyone else need be advised of the identity of the  guilty player.

The salient question might be, What has changed?  or Why is it necessary to identify the offending player to the general audience?  Is there a purpose, benefit or logical reason for doing so?

Yes, with the advent of televised games at higher levels, and broadcasters quick to share their opinions, the practice has become common, but the same questions apply, which to my knowledge have yet to be answered, even at those levels much less than being necessary (appropriate) at an Interscholastic level.

Logically, the simple question is, WHY, is it necessary to start doing something, that has not been deemed necessary for the past 75+ years, unless of course their is some rational benefit, or need satisfied, by doing so.  Hopefully, there's a better justification for doing so than, "because the higher levels are doing so (without anyone understanding, WHY)