Author Topic: Inbounds spot  (Read 7332 times)

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
Inbounds spot
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:50:05 AM »
Rule 6-2-9: If a free kick goes out of bounds between the goal lines touched inbounds by R, the ball is put in play by R at the inbounds spot.

This seems to read that according to this rule if a free kick is touched inbounds by R at the R25, then goes out of bounds at the R15, the ball should be placed at the R25, 1st and 10 for R.

What other interpretation of 'inbounds spot' is there? Why does the rule not state 'where the ball became dead' or 'went out of bounds'?

There is a case play where it states the ball is awarded at the R15, not R25. Why?

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Inbounds spot
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:02:17 AM »
The "inbounds spot" has nothing to do with where the ball was touched.  It is the "hash mark" equal to where the ball became dead.  Since it's dead at the R15, the "inbounds spot" will be the R15 hash mark on that side of the field.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »
Essentially, once a free kick is touched (legally and independently) by R, K's responsibility for kicking the ball OOB is ended.  WHEREVER the ball subsequently goes OOB, it is R's responsibility for it doing so, and R will assume possession, at the spot the ball went OOB, 1st and 10 (subject to any possible penalty enforcement.).

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 12:37:53 PM »
2-41-4. The inbounds spot is the intersection of the hash marks and the yard line:

b. Through the foremost point of the ball on the sideline between the goal lines when a loose ball goes out of bounds.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 12:40:02 PM »
For your play:

Actual spot:  R15 yard line, on the sideline.
Inbounds spot: R15 yard line, on the hash mark.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:09:38 AM »
Essentially, once a free kick is touched (legally and independently) by R,...

Is there any way R can commit Illegal Touching on a free kick?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »

Is there any way R can commit Illegal Touching on a free kick?

I think he's trying to say that R isn't forced into touching the kick by K.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:52:21 AM »
I think he's trying to say that R isn't forced into touching the kick by K.

That's what I thought "independently" meant.....

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 10:32:27 AM »
That's what I thought "independently" meant.....

Consider the source.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 04:58:13 PM »
Consider the source.

Wouldn't (shouldn't) "independently" avoid any possible confusion about about anybody, or the ball, being forced into anyone else?  Seemed pretty clear to me, but I always appreciate constructive advice intended to improve my vocabulary.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »
Wouldn't (shouldn't) "independently" avoid any possible confusion about about anybody, or the ball, being forced into anyone else?  Seemed pretty clear to me, but I always appreciate constructive advice intended to improve my vocabulary.
To me, "independently" reminded me of our upcoming  :patrioticon: INDEPENDENCE DAY :patrioticon:

To me, that reminded me of an ole' Mainer proverb....

"IF YE DRINKS A FIFTH ON THE FOURTH, YE MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO COME FORTH ON THE FIFTH" :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon:

ENJOY THE HOLIDAY, EVERYONE, BUT PLEASE REMEMBER WHAT WE'RE CELEBRATING :patrioticon:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:56:03 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 08:51:07 AM »
2-41-4. The inbounds spot is the intersection of the hash marks and the yard line:

b. Through the foremost point of the ball on the sideline between the goal lines when a loose ball goes out of bounds.

Thanks for that. I was wondering where 'Inbounds spot' was defined.

It's so confusing, they could have worded it much differently. Why say 'R' touches the ball inbounds, then refer to an 'inbounds spot' which has nothing to do with the spot where R touched the ball inbounds?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »
Thanks for that. I was wondering where 'Inbounds spot' was defined.
When in doubt about a definition, Rule 2 is always a good place to start.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Kevin Durst

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 01:22:24 PM »
The definition of "inbounds spot" in Rule 2 does not seem confusing at all to me.  Seems rather easy to understand.  At least for an old guy like me.

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »
The definition of "inbounds spot" in Rule 2 does not seem confusing at all to me.  Seems rather easy to understand.  At least for an old guy like me.

The definition of 'inbounds spot' isn't the thing that I find hard. The fact that 'inbounds spot' is defined in 2-14-4 is not obvious.

If you're just reading rule 6-2-9 by itself, you'd assume that the 'inbounds spot' means the spot where the ball was touched inbounds, as that is the only 'inbounds spot' specified in that rule.

KNOWING that the word 'inbounds spot' is defined somewhere else is 95% of the battle. Because this definition changes what rule 6-2-9 says without that definition.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 02:30:39 PM »
When in doubt about a definition, Rule 2 is always a good place to start.

When I first started officiating. I was told to read rule 2. After reading it read it again. Now that you have read it twice, read it again and again. If you know nothing else, know rule 2.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 03:10:14 PM »
When I first started officiating. I was told to read rule 2. After reading it read it again. Now that you have read it twice, read it again and again. If you know nothing else, know rule 2.
You must have been at the same training session as me.  :laugh:

This wise advice makes it all the more critical that you know Rule 2 backwards and forwards. Many other rules tie in to a definition. Often, you can't read one rule (6-2-9 in your example) and make sense of it.

The same goes for basketball rules, and I'm sure other sports as well.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 03:33:53 PM »
The same goes for basketball rules, and I'm sure other sports as well.
Certainly true in baseball.

What we taught at baseball clinics:
Read rule 2.  Then read it again.  Then read it again.  And when you read the other rules, go back and read rule 2.

FED Baseball Rules Study
Rule 2
Rule 2
Rule 2
Rule 3
Rule 2
Rule 4
Rule 2
Rule 5
Rule 2
Rule 6
Rule 2
Rule 7
Rule 2
Rule 8
Rule 2
Rule 1, but don't worry about it
Rule 9, forget it not your problem

Have we gotten across that Rule 2 is the most important rule in the book?