Author Topic: 7 man mechanics in state games  (Read 7249 times)

Offline 940AC

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
7 man mechanics in state games
« on: December 18, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »
H & L have forward progress until the 3.
Why I'm seeing the deep wings mark the end of a play before then is beyond me at this level.

Offline first_year_guy

• FAN REACTION: +18/-74
  • call what you see, see what you call
Re: 7 man mechanics in state games
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 02:36:52 PM »
It's actually the 2...

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »
Maybe the same reason the R refuses to count anything and follows the ball on all passes and kicks. He will not protect his QB.

Offline 940AC

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 02:50:05 PM »
It's actually the 2...

Yes sir, my fault! I stand corrected.

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
H & L have forward progress until the 3.
Why I'm seeing the deep wings mark the end of a play before then is beyond me at this level.

Having only spent a little time in the Texas 7-man mechanics book, my understanding was that the purpose of deep wings is to speed up getting the ball marked RFP for the next play. 

Example:  Start of a series on the A-25 after a touchback, and the first play from scrimmage goes 40 yards to the B-35.  Are you saying that the deep wing should never help with getting the spot on these plays?  Obviously he will be downfield from the tackle, so as not to get beat to the goal line...but after the tackle is made, the SJ/FJ supposed to crash down, right? 

My only other thought would be that the mechanic wants the deep wing to crash the middle of the field for dead ball officiating and allow the H/LJ to own forward progress? 

#offseasonstudytopics
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
Best to study NCAA seven man mechanics manual.  TASO is not well written nor thought out. I think they should just use the NCAA manual. With maybe some UIL exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »
But to answer the question the deep wing should clean up either in bounds or OOB as required. He shouldn't normally get the spot but can verbalize to the L/H the yard line where the ball was declared dead.

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 03:14:14 PM »
If I understood what was said at the state meeting a couple years ago, TASO wanted to use the CCA/NCAA 7 man mechanics but there was some issue with copyright or licensing or some such.

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 04:30:44 PM »
But to answer the question the deep wing should clean up either in bounds or OOB as required. He shouldn't normally get the spot but can verbalize to the L/H the yard line where the ball was declared dead.

Thanks Sky...its helpful to clarify that.  As one who has mainly worked the short wing, I think it might be a common misconception by those transitioning from 5-man to 7-man crews.  Hopefully this offseason will be a good opportunity for clarity in these mechanics.

Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
Best to study NCAA seven man mechanics manual.  TASO is not well written nor thought out. I think they should just use the NCAA manual. With maybe some UIL exceptions.

Completely agree! The CCA 7 Man Manual is the manual my crew utilizes. There is no comparison to how much more comprehensive and informational it is compared to the TASO 7 Man Manual.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »
You guys that don't like the TASO manual are free to make suggestions to improve it. Can each of you list your specific issues with the manual?

There's no reason why TASO can't use the CCA (if it still exists) or the CFO manual, provided they could get a copy of it. When I first started basketball years ago we used the CCA manual instead of Fed. It was a lot better. The copyright problem would come into play if TASO tried to reproduce the manuals without permission, but not if they decided to implement the mechanics from it. I'm sure whatever publisher would love to have 5K Texas HS officials buying their manual.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 08:46:25 AM »
The TASO 7 man mechanics manual normally mimics the CCA manual.  Unfortunately, in the drive to get the 5 man mechanics revamped and republished, the 7 man mechanics did not receive much attention.  As CCA mechanics changed, the TASO mechanics were mistakenly not edited to stay up. It is hoped this Spring that will be accomplished.  Another problem is the release of CCA mechanics in June or July, well after the TASO mechanics have gone through the necessary approval process for the year.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 09:46:38 AM »
Could always save the effort of revising and buy one in :-)

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/jimdotbriggsatacmdotorg

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 12:43:34 PM »