Author Topic: timing dispute  (Read 4691 times)

wv ref

timing dispute
« on: October 20, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »
I am having a disagreement with  a fellow official on what i think to be a standard  situation.  Can yall help either correct my ways or enlighten my fellow official.   Thanks!

A passes to a82 b26 pushes a82 and catches the ball and get tackled in bounds is the clock on the ready or snap.

I say snap because there was a COP he says ready since COP was nullified.   Whom is correct?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: timing dispute
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 01:15:45 PM »
I would think it depends on what the clock status was when the play in which the pass was thrown, began, presuming the penalty is accepted, after enforcement the down would be repeated.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
A good rule of :thumbup : If teams have to change their units...IE....offense off - defense in; kicking off- offense back in, etc. clock will start on the snap. In your OP there wasn't a COP, so on the RFP as long as nothing else occurred to shut it down. Same would occur with dueling COPs ...A fumbles to B, B returns favor and fumbles back to A = B doesn't have a new series = RFP. Exception : Previous spot penalty before fair catch and no new series gained.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »
I am having a disagreement with  a fellow official on what i think to be a standard  situation.  Can yall help either correct my ways or enlighten my fellow official.   Thanks!

A passes to a82 b26 pushes a82 and catches the ball and get tackled in bounds is the clock on the ready or snap.

I say snap because there was a COP he says ready since COP was nullified.   Whom is correct?
You are overthinking COP. What action caused the ball to become dead? It was a completed pass where the player in possession of the ball when the down ended was tackled inbounds. Team A accepts the DPI so the clock starts on the RFP. If Team A declined the penalty (obviously they wouldn't) and B were next to put the ball in play by virtue of the turnover, then it would be on the snap.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
I would think it depends on what the clock status was when the play in which the pass was thrown, began, presuming the penalty is accepted, after enforcement the down would be repeated.

Once the ball is snapped and a play is run, the status of the clock on the previous play is meaningless.  It would only matter if a play was never run (false start, snap infraction, encroachment, etc.).  What stopped the clock on THIS play?  The penalty stopped the clock, no other major clock stopper, so start on the RFP.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 03:10:03 PM »
I stand corrected, thank you.

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »
The status of the clock won't change because the result of the play doesn't contain a COP. A is still in possession after the administration of all penalties. Thus what was the status of the clock at the end of the down - running. Therefore the clock will start on the RFP.

If B26 had been tackled out of bounds then the clock was stopped due to the player being out of bounds as opposed to the penalty. So after the administration of all penalties the clock would start on the snap.

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »
Same would occur with dueling COPs ...A fumbles to B, B returns favor and fumbles back to A = B doesn't have a new series = RFP. Exception : Previous spot penalty before fair catch and no new series gained.

Or if A threw an illegal forward pass after regaining possession = Snap

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »
Or if A threw an illegal forward pass after regaining possession = Snap
IMHO, If A threw an illegal forward pass after regaining possession, the clock would only start with the snap if the IFP landed incomplete (3-4-3e).

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-6
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:08 AM »
A good rule of :thumbup : If teams have to change their units...IE....offense off - defense in; kicking off- offense back in, etc. clock will start on the snap. In your OP there wasn't a COP, so on the RFP as long as nothing else occurred to shut it down. Same would occur with dueling COPs ...A fumbles to B, B returns favor and fumbles back to A = B doesn't have a new series = RFP. Exception : Previous spot penalty before fair catch and no new series gained.

That is a simple way to understand.  New unit on the field, on the snap.  Seems to make it easy.