Author Topic: Fall Football and Dr. Fauci  (Read 33410 times)

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Fall Football and Dr. Fauci
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2020, 09:52:15 AM »
I was going to stay out of it, but I have to add my opinion.  There really is no reason to call it the “Wuhan Flu.”  I, generally would let it go because it is really not even worth the conversation, but using that term added nothing to the original poster’s point.  Really the first problem is that COVID is not influenza, and calling it that just minimizes it’s true nature.  Secondly, it is just a provocative term which is not really needed.  Everyone knows what COVID 19 is so saying COVID 19/Wuhan flu really has no purpose except to provoke a reaction. 

No one should really be surprised or offended when they get the reaction that they were seeking by using the term. Everyone does or should know that the term is not neutral and is intended and does “trigger” certain people.   Why throw it out there and then act offended when it elicits the reaction that you knew it would especially on an officiating discussion board?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:55:40 AM by Punter »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
I was going to stay out of it, but I have to add my opinion.  There really is no reason to call it the “Wuhan Flu.”  I, generally would let it go because it is really not even worth the conversation, but using that term added nothing to the original poster’s point.  Really the first problem is that COVID is not influenza, and calling it that just minimizes it’s true nature.  Secondly, it is just a provocative term which is not really needed.  Everyone knows what COVID 19 is so saying COVID 19/Wuhan flu really has no purpose except to provoke a reaction. 

No one should really be surprised or offended when they get the reaction that they were seeking by using the term. Everyone does or should know that the term is not neutral and is intended and does “trigger” certain people.   Why throw it out there and then act offended when it elicits the reaction that you knew it would especially on an officiating discussion board?

So referring to a certain type of food based upon where it originated is now all of a sudden offensive?  I bet during the last week you used those terms.   Want some French Fries?  Chinese food?  Mexican food?  Wuhan flu is only offensive because a certain President used it first. 

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2020, 10:46:53 AM »
Can we all just agree to get along here?

The whole idea that a viral epidemic is somehow a political issue is ridiculous. Our focus -- everybody, in the whole world -- should be on how to battle this disease, how to prevent its spread and mitigate risk until a vaccine is found.

If anybody here thinks that they know better than career epidemiologists about how this disease behaves, then why don't you have a job at the CDC? We need all the help we can get here. I'm sure an expert of that caliber will be welcome with open arms (from a safe distance).

We can sit behind computers and point fingers and blame people for what could have been done months ago, but that's irrelevant. What matters is what is going on *right now*. *Right now* the virus is running rampant through our communities. *Right now* the virus is keeping schools closed and preventing sports from taking place. *Right now* is the time when we need to band together to stem the tide so that we can get back to normal.

*Right now* I would love for this site to get back to football discussion so that when the next season happens, whenever that may be, we're all better officials then than we are now.

Offline Punter

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2020, 11:11:04 AM »
Jason,

The terms you use for food are all neutral terms.  For whatever reason “Wuhan flu” is no longer neutral and is  now provocative.  No one should be surprised or offended when someone reacts. 

I am just pointing out that the term “Wuhan Flu” is not even descriptive of the virus, and second it is simply a provocative term that elicits a reaction.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 11:12:56 AM by Punter »

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2020, 12:35:26 PM »
Can we all just agree to get along here?

The whole idea that a viral epidemic is somehow a political issue is ridiculous. Our focus -- everybody, in the whole world -- should be on how to battle this disease, how to prevent its spread and mitigate risk until a vaccine is found.

If anybody here thinks that they know better than career epidemiologists about how this disease behaves, then why don't you have a job at the CDC? We need all the help we can get here. I'm sure an expert of that caliber will be welcome with open arms (from a safe distance).

We can sit behind computers and point fingers and blame people for what could have been done months ago, but that's irrelevant. What matters is what is going on *right now*. *Right now* the virus is running rampant through our communities. *Right now* the virus is keeping schools closed and preventing sports from taking place. *Right now* is the time when we need to band together to stem the tide so that we can get back to normal.

*Right now* I would love for this site to get back to football discussion so that when the next season happens, whenever that may be, we're all better officials then than we are now.

And this is why it is political because "right now" schools are closed because of politics not the virus, All the scientific evidences shows that kids do not give the virus to adults and kids do not die (yes there are outliers) from Covid. Teachers can and should social distance from other adults at the school, but are in no danger from the kids, so why are schools not opening, politics.

The death rate unless you are over 65 and/or have an underlying condition is no worse than a bad flu season, yet we close everything down and now reclosing everything again. Granted we didn't know that when it first started to spread, but we know it now. If you are in the group at risk, self-isolate. So why are things closing down again? politics!. 

Offline Huddlehut

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2020, 12:50:12 PM »
Why is calling it the "Wuhan Virus" provocative? The term doesn't provoke me at all. Perhaps someone needs to relax a bit. We're on here trying to discuss the effect that this virus - covid or Wuhan flu or whatever - is going to have upon the football season. Please do not allow this discussion or any terms thrown around to trigger you. One way or another, the severity of this virus will decrease greatly on November 4...but, you're correct, it is not political.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:54:36 PM by Huddlehut »

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
NY just announced today that Football and Fall Sports are delayed until March 1, 2021.

-------------------

“As the state considers reopening, it is unrealistic to believe athletic seasons can start on August 24th as originally scheduled,” said Paul Harrica, NYSPHSAA President. “The priority will continue to be on the educational process and a return to learning in the safest way possible.”
The NYSPHSAA Officers’ decision includes:
• Delay Fall sports start date until Monday, September 21st (NYSPHSAA PAUSE)
• Cancel Fall Regional and State Championship events
• Waive seven-day practice rule
• Maintain current practice requirements
• Encourage geographic scheduling for games & contests
• Schools would have the option, if permitted by state officials, to offer off-season conditioning workouts.
“We recognize this is challenging for everyone, but the decisions made at the State level are based upon data and statewide infection rates all in an effort to stop the spread of COVID and reopen responsibly,” said Dr. Robert Zayas, NYSPHSAA Executive Director. “
Interscholastic athletics across the state are currently prohibited.

Should high schools start a condensed season in January 2021, the plan would entail the following:

Season I (Winter Sports)
Dates: Jan. 4-Mar. 13 (Week 27-36) 10 Weeks *Note: tentative dates
Sports: basketball (girls & boys), bowling (girls & boys), gymnastics, ice hockey (girls & boys), indoor track & field (girls & boys), skiing (girls & boys), swimming (boys),
Due to the high-risk nature of wrestling and competitive cheer, those sports may be moved to season II or season III.

Season II (Fall Sports)
Dates: Mar. 1-May 8 (Week 35-44) 10 Weeks *Note: tentative dates
Sports: football, cross country (girls & boys), field hockey, soccer (girls & boys), swimming (girls), volleyball (girls & boys), Unified bowling.
Girls Tennis will be moved to Season III.

Season III (Spring Sports)
Dates: Apr. 5-Jun. 12 (Week 40-49) 10 Weeks *Note: tentative dates
Sports: baseball, softball, golf (girls & boys), lacrosse (girls & boys), tennis (girls & boys), outdoor track & field (girls & boys), Unified basketball.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2020, 01:40:17 PM »
And this is why it is political because "right now" schools are closed because of politics not the virus, All the scientific evidences shows that kids do not give the virus to adults and kids do not die (yes there are outliers) from Covid. Teachers can and should social distance from other adults at the school, but are in no danger from the kids, so why are schools not opening, politics.

The death rate unless you are over 65 and/or have an underlying condition is no worse than a bad flu season, yet we close everything down and now reclosing everything again. Granted we didn't know that when it first started to spread, but we know it now. If you are in the group at risk, self-isolate. So why are things closing down again? politics!.

This is the problem.  Politicians, naturally, want to make everything about politics.  That's one reason why people, in general, don't really like politicians. 

We have politicians screaming about keeping the schools closed while the American Academy of Pediatrics says schools should open back up and kids need to be back in the classroom.  For purposes of this discussion board, that's like sitting at a football game between a fan who never played the game and an official who has 20+ quality years of officiating under his belt.  When something in the game happens, they both give you their opinion and you go decide to go with the casual fan instead of the official...just because it serves you better.

No matter who is in office, they should be listening to the experts and following their lead.  Unfortunately, in this case, the experts have changed their tunes several times because no one really knew what this thing was or how it was going to impact all aspects of our lives.  We have to expect mistakes to be made when we are all going through this for the first time. 

Offline Punter

« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2020, 03:54:28 PM »
The American Academy of Pediatrician’s stance on this is more nuanced than you imply

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/COVID-19/Pages/Return-to-School-During-COVID-19.aspx

That being said it is not helpful having the top politician in the country basically saying kids need to go back to school no matter what. The press secretary just today said the White House’s (President’s) position is that science should not get in the way of kids returning to school.  You cannot make this stuff up.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2020, 03:56:31 PM »
Jason,

The terms you use for food are all neutral terms.  For whatever reason “Wuhan flu” is no longer neutral and is  now provocative.  No one should be surprised or offended when someone reacts. 

I am just pointing out that the term “Wuhan Flu” is not even descriptive of the virus, and second it is simply a provocative term that elicits a reaction.

Who is it provocative to?  Ever hear of the Spanish flu? Powassan virus?  Lyme disease?  My next door neighbors both to the east and west of my house are both from China.  When both of them call it Wuhan virus then what's the problem with using it.  Neither of them are offended and I asked them why they call it that and they explained that it was because that's where it came from.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 04:01:59 PM by JasonTX »

Offline Punter

« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2020, 04:01:49 PM »
This article from the Washington Post explains the issue quite well.  I already know, fake news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/20/coronavirus-trump-chinese-virus/

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2020, 05:21:41 PM »
So you dug up a three week old post and commented 4 times in one day when you intended to "stay out of it"?

You have no idea what I intended, what kind of dog I like or what I had for breakfast.   

Farewell

Offline toma

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2020, 09:25:17 AM »
I will not get into what its called. I do know what's its like having it. Although it was mild case, lost taste & smell mid back pain for weeks. Had a hard time sleeping the thought of it getting worse and ending in the hospital really played in my mind. The wife had it too with the same symptoms with headaches. We quarantined apart in our own house, she in one part me in another. Thankfully we have recovered and both back to work. It was dam scary.  That being said I would love for football to return. But I remain concerned for the health of my fellow officials the players and their families.  Be safe everyone.     

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2020, 09:49:31 PM »
“The State of Texas today had to remove 3,484 cases from its Covid-19 positive case count, because the San Antonio Health Department was reporting ‘probable’ cases for people never actually tested, as 'confirmed' positive cases.- TDHS,” Fox 4 Dallas Evening News anchor Steve Eagar tweeted Wednesday. “What other departments make this same mistake?”

I expect this has been taking place all over.  I posted somewhere previously about this last week.  When the number of tests given doesn't match the combined total of positives and negatives then something is wrong.  No test, no count.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2020, 01:06:14 PM »
My daughter's father-in-law tested positive.  He had minimal symptoms, but was isolated until he tested negative.  After 3 more positive tests, he became negative.  The point is: each of the 5 positive tests was reported separately, making his case 5 instead of one.  This is probably unintentional, but the media reports may be significantly inflated due to these reporting errors.

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2020, 01:56:35 PM »
I expect this has been taking place all over.  I posted somewhere previously about this last week.  When the number of tests given doesn't match the combined total of positives and negatives then something is wrong.  No test, no count.

Why do you expect this to be taking place all over? Because you think the pro-covid-19 people (i.e. democrats) are cheating?

Governor Cuomo from NY has stated many times that the COVID-19 positive numbers in NY are actual TRUE positive test numbers. None of them are assumed positive. NY releases another number of 'assumed positive'. Cuomo was upset that the NY Times merged these two numbers together in a few articles and put 'assumed positive' in the positive column.

The NUMBER of positive tests doesn't really matter. The PERCENTAGE of positive tests (if you're testing the general population, not just sick people) is truly indicative of the spread of Covid-19. And the number of hospitalizations, number of beds left, and deaths is another true indicator of the problem.

NY right now has administers among the most tests of any state right now. About 60,000 a day. The percentage positive is less than 1%. Yes, testing adds 600 cases to NY's total every single day... but that shows the spread is not as great as Florida at 18% positive and Texas at 17% positive. Both have 50-65,000 tests per day - similar to what NY is testing.

Please research what you are saying, and don't spread misinformation on 'feelings'.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2020, 02:35:13 PM »
Why do you expect this to be taking place all over? Because you think the pro-covid-19 people (i.e. democrats) are cheating?

Governor Cuomo from NY has stated many times that the COVID-19 positive numbers in NY are actual TRUE positive test numbers. None of them are assumed positive. NY releases another number of 'assumed positive'. Cuomo was upset that the NY Times merged these two numbers together in a few articles and put 'assumed positive' in the positive column.

The NUMBER of positive tests doesn't really matter. The PERCENTAGE of positive tests (if you're testing the general population, not just sick people) is truly indicative of the spread of Covid-19. And the number of hospitalizations, number of beds left, and deaths is another true indicator of the problem.

NY right now has administers among the most tests of any state right now. About 60,000 a day. The percentage positive is less than 1%. Yes, testing adds 600 cases to NY's total every single day... but that shows the spread is not as great as Florida at 18% positive and Texas at 17% positive. Both have 50-65,000 tests per day - similar to what NY is testing.

Please research what you are saying, and don't spread misinformation on 'feelings'.

The post above yours pretty well summed it up.  It's already been proven that not every hospitalized person is positive Covid just presumed to be, so using hospitalized numbers to make decisions is not accurate.  Nobody should be added to the data that is used to shut down the state unless they have a confirmed positive test.  As we have seen the symptoms associated with Covid are the same as a number of other respiratory illnesses.   Just don't assume they have Covid and add them to the count.

Offline Punter

« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2020, 03:22:53 PM »
I saw the Johns Hopkins researchers responsible for reporting the national numbers being interviewed on Meet the Press the other week.  They said their real concern is the under reporting of cases because of the restrictions on testing.  According to them, asymptomatic people and those who show few symptoms who are never tested more than make up for any of the other discrepancies. As researchers their concern is under reporting.

All of these arguments about over reporting are the “red herring” logical fallacy.

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2020, 03:47:09 PM »
That and cases showing antibodies are listed as positive cases. The antibodies actually mean you had and recovered.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
I saw the Johns Hopkins researchers responsible for reporting the national numbers being interviewed on Meet the Press the other week.  They said their real concern is the under reporting of cases because of the restrictions on testing.  According to them, asymptomatic people and those who show few symptoms who are never tested more than make up for any of the other discrepancies. As researchers their concern is under reporting.

All of these arguments about over reporting are the “red herring” logical fallacy.

Fair argument.   Either way, it's like a dog trying to catch it's own tail.  Add to the fact that you have hundreds of medical experts giving their opinions on national news and none of them speak the same message.   They say to allow science to dictate things.  That's fine, I follow the science experts of national news channel X because they say what I want to hear.  It's true.  One news platform's medical experts say all is well essentially and the other says something far more dangerous.   Who is right?

Offline Punter

« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2020, 05:35:40 PM »
That was refreshing.  Republicans are supposed to be conservative so shouldn’t they err on the physicians that are saying that things are bad?  Since our latest occupant of the White House, conservative no longer means what it used to mean.

To be fair, he was elected as a disrupter so I guess he is accomplishing the role to disrupt.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 05:39:35 PM by Punter »

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2020, 06:36:58 PM »
That was refreshing.  Republicans are supposed to be conservative so shouldn’t they err on the physicians that are saying that things are bad?  Since our latest occupant of the White House, conservative no longer means what it used to mean.

To be fair, he was elected as a disrupter so I guess he is accomplishing the role to disrupt.

It has nothing to do with the President.   Turn on any socialist news channel and their expert scientists say the world is doomed.  Turn on any conservative news channel and their experts tell us things are better.  Who's right?

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2020, 09:54:26 AM »
It has nothing to do with the President.   Turn on any socialist news channel and their expert scientists say the world is doomed.  Turn on any conservative news channel and their experts tell us things are better.  Who's right?

Turn on any 'non-right-wing' news channel and expert scientists say that the entire world has solved coronavirus - except the United States. The US is doomed if things continue the same way.
Turn on any 'right-wing' news channel and experts tell us things are better so that Trump can get re-elected.

Hmmmm... which one should you believe? The entire world's success stories or one man who refuses to listen to anyone else.

We currently can't visit 166 other countries because of the mishandling of the virus. It is insane.

Offline Punter

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2020, 06:16:23 AM »
I do have to laugh.  Every time I see the President, he talks about how quickly he implemented travel bans, and now just about every country including Mexico has travel bans against Americans.   You can’t make this stuff up.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2020, 09:52:54 AM »
FOOTBALL IN MAINE !!!!

Every college football season (7)in Maine has been cancelled  :( . Every high school season (74) is on  :) :thumbup :). The Maine Principals Association announced  yesterday that there will be a season with some modifications....

(1) Season delayed by 2 weeks:
(2) Schedules revamped to play schools in same region regardless of size;
(3) post-season and regular season both shortened by 2 weeks;
(4) coaches masks required - officials masks optional;
(5) only one captain at coin toss - no handshakes;
(6) team boxes extended to 10 yd. lines, coaches can only travel to 25;

…..but it's FOOTBALL !!