Author Topic: NFL officiating crew for Super Bowl  (Read 1898 times)

Offline billhpro1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
NFL officiating crew for Super Bowl
« on: February 07, 2021, 02:28:00 PM »
I am sure that this message will upset some officials but I personally do not feel that Sarah Thomas deserves a Super Bowl assignment. I have watched this lady work and she is a good official BUT my thought is these are the best of the best and she is not. Having watched her work several games this season, when a loose ball {ie- fumble} occurs she hesitates to get in the pile. Although not her fault, I have seen her make a tough call and coaches will run around her in wing position to go to a deep wing to raise you know what. Her ratings are probably high since coaches hesitate to complain about her work. Unfortunately there are many  officials more qualified that will never get the chance. I realize that I am an old official and have not worked or rated in many years so my views may be tainted but just does not seem right. These views may be old fashion because I was President of Gulf Coast Chapter in Houston Area when Walter Anderson was  a Div.4 in Houston Chapter.

Offline justbill13

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
Re: NFL officiating crew for Super Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 06:37:10 PM »
I have heard from 2 NFL Down Judges since the announcement was made that she would be working the game.  They both said that she 100% deserved this.  I'll take their opinion on this over yours.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 06:46:48 PM »
I have heard from 2 NFL Down Judges since the announcement was made that she would be working the game.  They both said that she 100% deserved this.  I'll take their opinion on this over yours.

I don't think during the whole year I have watched a whole quarter combined so I have absolutely zero opinion on who should or shouldn't be working.   With that said, just to  :sTiR: the term "deserving " does not always equal being the best.

Offline billhpro1

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 08:38:24 PM »
for just bill 13 what else would you expect them to say. Their supervisor was a rookie who I known since 1976 and these officials had better not tell you anything else but we will never know for sure their real opinion.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 04:28:32 PM »
serious question:  Have you ever heard anyone, ever, be critical of a particular crew selection to work a super bowl?   I've not been a ref for long but I haven't.  From what I see, the response is, almost without fail, 'Joe was a great selection for Umpire, he really worked hard this year and he absolutely deserved it.'  It's never 'Wow, can't believe they selected James for Back Judge, he's not near as good as Johnny is, and Johnny's been Back Judge in the NFL for 13 years to James' 4.' 

If you've never been critical of a crew selection decision before, but you are now, and you claim that her being a woman doesn't matter, there's a word for that. 

I had to work and didn't get to see the SB but from what I have and read, she was sharp and most definitely was not the weakest link on the crew.  Where's your criticism around that individual?