Author Topic: 40/25 second play clock document check  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
40/25 second play clock document check
« on: July 11, 2022, 09:03:04 AM »
Could someone kindly give this document I updated (40/25 second play clock procedures) the once over and tell me if I got it right with this years two UIL exceptions as it regards to the play clock.

Thanks in advance tiphat:

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: 40/25 second play clock document check
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 10:13:10 AM »
If this helps you, well, OK. But I wouldn't want this being given to someone else.
There is one definite error: 25-Second Play Clock, 6th item from the top - you say, "First Down In/Out of Bounds." Assuming you are referencing a scrimmage down, that would be a 40-second clock, started automatically ("End of Play", as you say). Now, if you actually mean the first scrimmage down following a free kick, that would be correct. If so, maybe change that to say, "First down after free kick, In/Out of Bounds), although I don't know why you need the "In/Out of Bounds;" that is irrelevant.
8th item from top of 25-second Play Clock, you say, "...Free Kick After Safety." That applies to any free kick. So, why not just say, "Free Kick"?

And, be sure you follow AR 3-2-4-II, when these circumstances occur. You wouldn't wait for the referee's 'start' signal. When you see the 'pump,' you'd just set to 25 and start it ASAP.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 10:17:24 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline Official_21

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 10:23:37 AM »
If this helps you, well, OK. But I wouldn't want this being given to someone else.
That is why I asked for a double check. In case I work the game clock with a new play clock operator :)

There is one definite error: 25-Second Play Clock, 6th item from the top - you say, "First Down In/Out of Bounds." Assuming you are referencing a scrimmage down, that would be a 40-second clock, started automatically ("End of Play", as you say). Now, if you actually mean the first scrimmage down following a free kick, that would be correct. If so, maybe change that to say, "First down after free kick, In/Out of Bounds), although I don't know why you need the "In/Out of Bounds;" that is irrelevant.
8th item from top of 25-second Play Clock, you say, "...Free Kick After Safety." That applies to any free kick. So, why not just say, "Free Kick"?

And, be sure you follow AR 3-2-4-II, when these circumstances occur. You wouldn't wait for the referee's 'start' signal. When you see the 'pump,' you'd just set to 25 and start it ASAP.
I will make the changes when I get home from running errands later. Thank you kindly for your time and assistance  tiphat:

Offline Official_21

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 10:35:57 AM »
Just as a side note I found all the correct information as it relates to the 25 second play clock in the TASO 2022 Chain and Clock Operators Manual.

I updated my document for the 25 second play clock section.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 11:02:42 AM »
Just as a side note I found all the correct information as it relates to the 25 second play clock in the TASO 2022 Chain and Clock Operators Manual.

I updated my document for the 25 second play clock section.

You might note that there is an error in the table that is provided in the document. Under the "Situations" column, at the 13th item down, it says "Touchback (except on Free Kick plays)." The part in parentheses is no longer correct for UIL football. The UIL made an 'Exception' to the NCAA's use of the 40-second clock for the first scrimmage play following a free kick down. So, ALL touchbacks will result in a 25-second play clock that starts on the referee's signal. That 'Exception' is acknowledged at the 7th item down; they they just overlooked item 13.

Offline Official_21

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 11:56:43 AM »
I can't win for trying ;D

I forgot completely about the 25 sec play clock being set after a touchback.

Thanks once again for the help  tiphat:

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 03:36:34 PM »
That's why we are here! Just tryin' to give back, where I can.