Author Topic: And now for something completely different...  (Read 338 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +126/-122
  • The rules are there if you need them.
And now for something completely different...
« on: August 04, 2022, 06:18:47 PM »
I paid to "Meet and Greet" Peter Frampton on Saturday night! I am so pumped! As a garage guitarist in my teen years (and still 'plinking around' today), I know enough about playing guitar to know good guitar work versus mediocre, and Frampton is very, very good. So smooth. Have seen him twice in concert. Can't wait to meet him this time.

Nothing to do with sports, but, what the heck. :)

Guess I should have put this under Non-Officiating Discussion. Sorry. Admins, feel free to move.

Online HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +117/-17
Re: And now for something completely different...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 08:28:11 PM »
I so wanted to see a show on his farewell tour-what 3 years ago now?  I think it was pre-Covid.

Congrats and enjoy.  I was 13 when FCA came out.  "Baby I Love Your Way" still takes my mind back to a blonde in a striped t-shirt skating around so effortlessly in the roller rink while the mirror ball spun at an old Crescent Beach, SC arcade.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +78/-26
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 08:43:38 AM »
Ahh, so Lubbock does have a cultural side!   ;D
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 11:04:02 AM »
I so wanted to see a show on his farewell tour-what 3 years ago now?  I think it was pre-Covid.

Congrats and enjoy.  I was 13 when FCA came out.  "Baby I Love Your Way" still takes my mind back to a blonde in a striped t-shirt skating around so effortlessly in the roller rink while the mirror ball spun at an old Crescent Beach, SC arcade.

Whippersnapper. I was in my 6th year of college (yeah, yeah, it took me a little longer than most, but Architecture is a 5-year program to begin with).
First saw him right here in the Hub. He opened for Journey. They should have been opening for him, especially without Steve Perry. It was great. Bob Mayo was still with him then. So, when it cam to that point in “Do You Feel Like We Do,” i.e., “Bob Mayo on the keyboards…Bob Mayo,” Bob was actually there. Really cool.
Then saw him on a cruise in 2017. Second row in the Theatre. Less than 30’ feet from him most of the time. And he had “Phenix” with him - the black Les Paul that he is playing on the cover of FCA. It had been lost for 31 years following the crash of the equipment plane leaving Venezuela in 1980. A guard at the crash site found it, slightly singed and damaged, but playable. He sold it to a local musician who played it for a number of years, then sold it to a kid in Curacao, who put it in a closet for years. Then, he decided to try to use it, and took it to a local part-timer luthier (guitar maker/repairer), also a customs inspector, who quickly recognized it as Frampton’s guitar. He notified Frampton, who, obviously, wanted it back. It took 1 1/2 years to negotiate its return, but he got it back in 2012. He had Gibson restore it to playable condition, and uses it to this day. He used it for his two concerts on that cruise, and I got to see it, and hear it! Still his favorite guitar.
We were supposed to see Frampton in Nashville in June, 2019 (Finale - Farewell Tour) but it was postponed by lightning. Couldn’t get back to Nashville in August, so we tried to get a refund. Ha. Those second party ticket vendors are a racket. Ate those tickets. But, got to see some great stuff at the Ryman and the Opry.
Nothing to do with football. But, this is my other passion.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 12:32:36 PM »
Final post on this subject.
For me, good news and bad news.
We enjoyed the event a lot. Other musicians were Steve Cropper, Garry Tallent, Mario Valens (Richie Valens’ brother) and Albert Lee. First hour was interviews with Peter Frampton, by himself, and then those other musicians. After the interviews, the other musicians played a variety of their own tunes, as well as some Buddy Holly tunes. They left the stage, and Frampton, accompanied by an unknown keyboardist, came on (sitting in a chair, but with the famous Phenix guitar, which he talked about), and played Lines on My Face, and Do You Feel Like We Do. Being a Buddy Holly celebration, didn’t expect to get anything except Holly tunes. So, those Frampton tunes were a real treat. Although no bass or drums, Do You Feel Like We Do was over 12 minutes long, started just like the album, and ended just like the album. Totally awesome
Event ended, and we went to the special room to Meet and Greet the artists. After a few minutes, Cropper, Tallent, Lee, Valens, and a drummer and another guitarist that played with them, entered the room, gathered together and let each of us stand in the center of them and get a photo made, shake hands, and move along.
No Frampton.
Paid $200 each (above the seat price) to Meet and Greet the artists, and that’s what we got.
Sent a message to the folks that brought the event to Lubbock, asking for a refund of the Meet and Greet fees. We’ll see what they say.
Over and out.

Online HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +117/-17
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 06:51:04 PM »
Well that kinda sucks.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 03:57:17 PM »
frampton is a tad before my time but i've definitely heard fca enough.

A friend is a grammy nominated guitarist (literally)...although his music makes everyone's ears bleed, to him, "hey they hand me a rig and I play for 60min a day. I'm the luckiest guy in the world."
Right now he's touring with 2 major acts...and looky there, they're going to be in a town near me very soon.....so maybe my good ole pal can let me meet these icons of metal (note I never ever ask to meet anyone he plays with at all).
sadly, my request for a pass to see him..and call in a favor to meet the other bands was late to the game and his guest list is full (because hes a fellow floridian and people come out of the woodwork when he's in town..especially with those headlines he's with).
Nevertheless, if i wanted to pay $200 for a ticket he can absolutely take care of me as if I have a pass, but let's see: $200, drive 2hr each way, by myself... 

Anyway to the point, those meet greet are huge revenue and that $ is all for the artist...and in many cases well worth the $ forked over..even for KISS you get your $ worth with their meet greet.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 03:59:49 PM »
Final post on this subject.
For me, good news and bad news.
We enjoyed the event a lot. Other musicians were Steve Cropper, Garry Tallent, Mario Valens (Richie Valens’ brother) and Albert Lee. First hour was interviews with Peter Frampton, by himself, and then those other musicians. After the interviews, the other musicians played a variety of their own tunes, as well as some Buddy Holly tunes. They left the stage, and Frampton, accompanied by an unknown keyboardist, came on (sitting in a chair, but with the famous Phenix guitar, which he talked about), and played Lines on My Face, and Do You Feel Like We Do. Being a Buddy Holly celebration, didn’t expect to get anything except Holly tunes. So, those Frampton tunes were a real treat. Although no bass or drums, Do You Feel Like We Do was over 12 minutes long, started just like the album, and ended just like the album. Totally awesome
Event ended, and we went to the special room to Meet and Greet the artists. After a few minutes, Cropper, Tallent, Lee, Valens, and a drummer and another guitarist that played with them, entered the room, gathered together and let each of us stand in the center of them and get a photo made, shake hands, and move along.
No Frampton.
Paid $200 each (above the seat price) to Meet and Greet the artists, and that’s what we got.
Sent a message to the folks that brought the event to Lubbock, asking for a refund of the Meet and Greet fees. We’ll see what they say.
Over and out.
that's huge horse hockey.
it's a PF show. it's a PF meet greet and no PF is a huge misrepresentation