Author Topic: Blindside block during line play?  (Read 3788 times)

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
Blindside block during line play?
« on: September 26, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
Question came up at our meeting last night. No immediate answer provided - I wanted to throw it to the group...

Outside run to the left. DL on that side gets penetration and has a bead on the runner when the pulling guard from the opposite side blows him up - definitely not in the back, but he definitely didn't see it coming. The guy who asked the question is an umpire and former lineman; I asked him if it seemed like normal line play and he said "Definitely, but a lot of 'normal' plays aren't allowed anymore..."

Should there be a flag for an illegal blindside block here?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Blindside block during line play?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:50:38 AM »
I'm having trouble seeing how the pulling guard from the opposite side is fast enough to get in front of the DL in pursuit of the runner. But, if he is, and he clocks him and the DL is so focused on the runner that he doesn't see it coming, then by the way I understand it, that's a blindside block.

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »
I'm having trouble seeing how the pulling guard from the opposite side is fast enough to get in front of the DL in pursuit of the runner. But, if he is, and he clocks him and the DL is so focused on the runner that he doesn't see it coming, then by the way I understand it, that's a blindside block.

Bubba should be running the ball.

If the ball has left the FBZ, which it seems it has when you say "outside run," and "blows him up" means he didn't initiate contact with open hands, then this is an illegal BSB as Calhoun said.

Offline fcardon99

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »
During my playing days, we would run a trap with the backside guard pulling and we would intentionally not block the opposite DL or DE.  Our hope was that he did not see us coming.  These were inside runs, not outside.  I still believe that's good fundamental football.  IMO that is not what the blindside block rule was trying to eliminate.  You really couldn't generate anywhere near the force as compared to a BSB on a kick return for instance.  Personally, I would allow that.  You're not really blowing up the guy.

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »
During my playing days, we would run a trap with the backside guard pulling and we would intentionally not block the opposite DL or DE.  Our hope was that he did not see us coming.  These were inside runs, not outside.  I still believe that's good fundamental football.  IMO that is not what the blindside block rule was trying to eliminate.  You really couldn't generate anywhere near the force as compared to a BSB on a kick return for instance.  Personally, I would allow that.  You're not really blowing up the guy.

An inside run sounds like the ball never left the FBZ, and in that case you're right. The BSB rule isn't trying to eliminate that play as it would be legal.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
IMO that is not what the blindside block rule was trying to eliminate.  You really couldn't generate anywhere near the force as compared to a BSB on a kick return for instance.  Personally, I would allow that.  You're not really blowing up the guy.

Absolutely agree, the object is not to discover additional ways to enforce this rule explanation. 

Consider an uncomplimentary definition of "bureaucracy", "When interpretation comes in conflict with common sense and/or practical application, rather than reason the objective, automatically follow the interpretation."

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »
It is entirely possible that I don't have the play exactly right, as this is second-hand and in a loud room. I'd love to have video of an example of what he meant...

But it sounds like the rough consensus here goes with what I was thinking - if it looks like normal line play, it's probably fine, while if it's out in the open field, it's probably a BSB.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »
I have a hard time picturing this play occurring prior to the ball leaving the FBZ.

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 12:49:24 PM »
I am resurrecting an old thread I found in searching of blind side block.  I had a play in a youth game (7-8 graders) where on a sweep to the right (similar to the example in this thread)  a linebacker was stringing out the play I suppose waiting for the runner to make a clear cut into the line but before that happened a pulling offensive lineman flattened the defender from the side.  Defender didn't see it coming (I believe) so I think I should have had a BSB in that instance as the blocker did not lead with arms outstretched.

So often we are seeing BSB on changes of possession when players reverse course but this was on a very ordinary sweep where defenders should be expecting blocks in my opinion.  It was a great block but I think BSB and I won't pass up on it next time.

Has anybody else any thoughts on this?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 03:47:36 PM »
A linebacker isn't in the FBZ, normally.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 04:58:55 AM »
My understanding of the rules is that 2 simple qualifiers apply here:

1.  Is the ball still in the FBZ?
2.  Is the initial forceful contact in the FBZ?

If either of these is no, then we’ve got a flag, otherwise legal block.

Hard to picture this as described without video but I’d agree that this sounds like a flag would be flying.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel