Author Topic: Letting kids celebrate  (Read 4564 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Letting kids celebrate
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:49:56 AM »
Seeing as we officiate games with high schoolers, they tend to get excited when they make a big play. We should obviously let them be excited and celebrate, but I'm wondering how far do you let them go?

Situation -- Late in the game, A is winning and trying to wind down the clock. B56 intercepts a pass on A's sideline giving them an opportunity for a comeback drive. In the celebration of the interception, B56 holds the ball above his head as he runs all the way across the field, back to his sideline. There's no taunting or other unsportsmanlike actions. Do you flag B56 for delay of game?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Letting kids celebrate
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 11:59:15 AM »
As I was told

Youthful exuberance is much different than taunting
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »
Could you flag B56 for delay of game?  Probably.  Should you?  Probably not.  Ask yourself if his actions did in fact keep you from getting the ball promptly ready for the next play?  In our state, the ball that B56 intercepted would be replaced by a B team ball for the next play.  That takes up time before the next play can get started. 

Maybe an official's TO to ask coach A why he is passing when he is supposedly trying to run the clock down.

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »
I would not throw my flag in that situation.

Last week there was a late interception. And the player that intercepted the ball, decided it was a good idea to stand over the WR and flex his muscles. He also added some words too, such as, "nice try B***"  My flag was thrown, but it would have been thrown even if there was no words shared also.  ^flag

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 04:51:01 PM »
A). Genuine youthful enthusiasm?  No foul.
B). Actions intended to draw attention to himself?  Foul.
C). Taunting?  Obviously a foul.

We get the big bucks to determine whether we’re seeing A or seeing B. I’m guessing we all know C when we see it.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:14:46 AM »
A). Genuine youthful enthusiasm?  No foul.
B). Actions intended to draw attention to himself?  Foul.
C). Taunting?  Obviously a foul.

We get the big bucks to determine whether we’re seeing A or seeing B. I’m guessing we all know C when we see it.
Agree 100% - let's not penalize kids for getting excited.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »
You get a lot less flak for letting a possible UNS go rather than calling it (that's not taunting).  If you have any doubt in your mind about a non-taunting UNS, let it go.  We want to get the ones that are obvious to everyone.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »
I'm not seeing UNS here.
I'm not seeing delay here. - seems the kid ran across the field (expedite) to take the ball to the ball boy - and we're going to change balls anyway on COP. :)

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 10:47:57 AM »
Maybe an official's TO to ask coach A why he is passing when he is supposedly trying to run the clock down.

A's coach was asking his QB that same question. Play in question was supposed to be a run, but somebody went left instead of right, and the QB found himself running a naked bootleg with a bunch of linebackers in his face. He tried to dump the ball out of bounds to prevent a sack, but... missed.

I'm not seeing UNS here.
I'm not seeing delay here. - seems the kid ran across the field (expedite) to take the ball to the ball boy - and we're going to change balls anyway on COP. :)

The kid ran A's ball to the B sideline. As I went to collect the B ball to be put in play, I also retrieved A's ball and took it back to the correct sideline.

No flag was thrown, but I was just thinking about it after the game. If a receiver steps out of bounds on the 50, covering official lays on the whistle, but the kid keeps running until he's in the endzone, there might be a DOG foul there.  I was only thinking maybe a DOG and absolutely not an UNS.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 03:09:24 PM »
The last explanation seems to change things a tad and maybe I did not read as thoroughly as I should have the first time so shame on me.

I'm rather flexible given the situation and would give a benefit of a doubt - especially at a cricial point in the game, but what reason did A have to run from his sideline 50+ yards all the way across to the B  sideline except for an UNS? - unless I'm missing something again.
But as others said, I would err towards DOG

I'm also a bit confused why the balls were on two sidelines v 1. - but maybe that's how they roll in NC.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:17:33 PM by TampaSteve »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »
Ballboys stay on their own sideline in NC.  Some regions allow the ballboys to bring the ball out to the U, some, such as us, do not.
Ages range from kids to grown men.  A couple of schools I call have developmentally disabled adults that have done it for years.

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 02:22:11 PM »
I'm rather flexible given the situation and would give a benefit of a doubt - especially at a cricial point in the game, but what reason did A have to run from his sideline 50+ yards all the way across to the B  sideline except for an UNS? - unless I'm missing something again.
But as others said, I would err towards DOG

B intercepted the pass at A's sideline. A B player is now in physical possession of A's ball, and B runs back to his own sideline while carrying the other team's ball. No player, attendant or ball boy from A went across to the B sideline at any time.

UNS was never on the table.

The question was DOG for unnecessarily carrying the ball after it has become dead.

I'm also a bit confused why the balls were on two sidelines v 1. - but maybe that's how they roll in NC.

Is there only one set of game balls in Florida, instead of each team bringing their own?

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 06:10:41 PM »

Is there only one set of game balls in Florida, instead of each team bringing their own?

Not only does each team get to use its own ball in Wisconsin, but I have seen several times when each team insisted on using its own ball even WHEN BOTH TEAMS WERE USING THE SAME MAKE AND MODEL OF BALL IN SIMILAR CONDITION!

Offline prosec34

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 07:33:53 AM »
I flagged a kid for doing the Ezekiel Elliott "feed me" thing during a varsity game this year following a sack. Most stuff, I let go.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »
B intercepted the pass at A's sideline. A B player is now in physical possession of A's ball, and B runs back to his own sideline while carrying the other team's ball. No player, attendant or ball boy from A went across to the B sideline at any time.

UNS was never on the table.

The question was DOG for unnecessarily carrying the ball after it has become dead.

I'm old. It took me several explanations to 'get it'.
Based on that, I got nothing.
In FL each team has their own, all ballboys on home sideline.