Author Topic: Yet Another Trick Play  (Read 4845 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Yet Another Trick Play
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:08:28 AM »

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Yet Another Trick Play
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 08:39:51 AM »
While the rules don't specifically prohibit this distraction, IMHO, it has no business in football.  9-2-3-c gives the R the ability to rule this as an unfair act, and allows him to take any action he feels is equitable.  In this case the game clock would not (or certainly should not) have run, so the clock isn't involved.  I wouldn't penalize Team A with a distance penalty, but I would just repeat the kickoff (a "do-over," if you will), with a warning that a second occurrence of this unsportsmanlike act would earn a distance penalty, and another repeat of the kickoff (or add to the spot where the ball belongs to Team B at the end of the down).

Quit clowning around and play straight up football.

Robert

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »
I'd agree with Elvis here, clearly IMHO not a football play.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 10:12:58 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »
Totally disagree with both comments here. You cant make up rules because you dont like what someone does. There is nothing illegal about this. Player was within 5-yds of the ball, did not cross the restraining line, did not simulate a substitution. Perfectly legal and I would let it go as well.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 10:10:17 AM »
Totally disagree with both comments here. You cant make up rules because you dont like what someone does. There is nothing illegal about this. Player was within 5-yds of the ball, did not cross the restraining line, did not simulate a substitution. Perfectly legal and I would let it go as well.

I think this type of thing has been addressed in the past by not allowing the "wrong ball" and "wrong tee" type of plays or the play where someone is laying down in the end zone on a kickoff.  To me, this falls under the same type of non-football play and shouldn't be allowed. 

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:37:39 AM »
Not sure what the "wrong tee" play is, but with the others you mentioned there are specific rules and interpretations to address them. With a team attempting to change a ball, that is not allowed per rule. Laying down in the EZ has been officially decided that it is not allowed. Until there is anything regarding this play in question, I dont know how you can justify a penalty on it.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »
Not sure what the "wrong tee" play is, but with the others you mentioned there are specific rules and interpretations to address them. With a team attempting to change a ball, that is not allowed per rule. Laying down in the EZ has been officially decided that it is not allowed. Until there is anything regarding this play in question, I dont know how you can justify a penalty on it.

I think it falls under Rule 9-2-1-a-1

(d) Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon himself (or themselves).

It is definitely choreographed and it's obviously attempting to focus attention on the player doing the flip so the other players aren't watching when the ball is kicked. 

Offline backjudge85

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 03:38:15 PM »
I would certainly agree with that interpretation tiphat:

Offline Williams

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 10:27:24 AM »
Last game of regular season, we had an offensive lineman attempt this move after a successful PAT.   ^flag
However, he did not get a 10 for his flip.  He landed flat on his back!!
After the laughter died down, we had a KO less 15 yards.

Offline Rostrom

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
"Laying down in the EZ has been officially decided that it is not allowed"..
where can I read this...?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
"Laying down in the EZ has been officially decided that it is not allowed"..
where can I read this...?
  Bulletin #2 of this year.

Play #2:  Both teams are in position for a Free Kick play.  The Receiving team has 2 deep receivers, with B21 at the goal line on the right side of the field and B44 lying motionless face down in the end zone on the left side of the field.  The Referee notices B44 just before or after the Ready for Play signal. RULING:  The Referee will declare an injury timeout before the ball becomes alive.  B44 must leave the game and remain out of the game for at least one down.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »
  Bulletin #2 of this year.

Play #2:  Both teams are in position for a Free Kick play.  The Receiving team has 2 deep receivers, with B21 at the goal line on the right side of the field and B44 lying motionless face down in the end zone on the left side of the field.  The Referee notices B44 just before or after the Ready for Play signal. RULING:  The Referee will declare an injury timeout before the ball becomes alive.  B44 must leave the game and remain out of the game for at least one down.

And, just like with performing back flips or cartwheels, or any other form of game mockery, this is not specifically identified in the language of the rules as being illegal.  Yet, by interpretation, this is illegal.  That should tell any official that actions totally foreign to playing of the game that either affect the play of the game, or negatively reflect sportsmanship, are not to be allowed.  David Nelson, John Adams, Rogers Redding, Steve Shaw - none of those exceptional people - would have envisioned such ridiculous - and coached - behavior, so the rule language doesn't identify every possible action that would be deemed illegal.  We have to take their direction, in the form of interpretations, and use our knowledge and experience to protect the integrity of the game.

Robert

Offline NoVaBJ

• FAN REACTION: +11/-8
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 03:24:31 PM »
USC as soon as the cartwheeler starts cartwheeling.

If you have any other call, you are part of the problem.