Author Topic: Play from game over the weekend  (Read 2148 times)

Offline FBstripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Play from game over the weekend
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
4th and 12 from K's 5
k is punting out of its end zone.
Bad snap and ball rolling around in k's end zone. 
R1 in an attempt to get to the ball, goes out of the back of the end zone and then jumps on the ball in the end zone while part of his body is still OOB.

On the field they ruled safety.  Should this have been ILL Participation?

What is your ruling?  Rule ref would also help.

maven

Re: Play from game over the weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »
The referee will need to rule on whether the R player intentionally went out of bounds. If so, you'd have IP, 9-6-2. Otherwise, it's nothing.

So, if his toenail touches the line as he's going for the ball, I've got no foul. If he goes OOB to get around a blocker, then I'd have IP.

If you flag IP, basic spot is the previous spot (loose ball play). After enforcement, A 1/10 @ A20, clock on the snap (per 3-4-3d).

Edited to add: I just saw that the R player was out of bounds when he touched the ball. His touching would make the ball dead prior to gaining possession, so the result would be a safety because K forced the ball across the GL with the snap.

Had the R player been inbounds when he gained possession, the result would be a TD.

Sounds as if the crew ruled that the player did not go OOB intentionally, touched the ball while OOB, and ruled a safety. If that's what happened, then the ruling is correct. :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:59:02 AM by maven »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Play from game over the weekend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »
There are 3 ways to go OOB : (1) intentionnaly; (2) unintentionally; (3) forced out by opponent. ^flag fly if A/K does #1 or #2; and returns to field.  ^flag would fly for B/R only under #1. Remember that a player touching OOB only needs to touch the ball to kill the play.