Author Topic: umpire plays  (Read 4197 times)

concordref

umpire plays
« on: October 04, 2010, 07:56:18 AM »
Fellow officials,

As a crew chief I send out a new unusual play each week for the crew to discuss and I make it pertain toward each position.  I am trying to come up with one for the umpires position, and I am comming up a blank.  I am looking for a unusual play that maybe only the umpire would see.  Can any of you come up with a play that would make my umpire scratch his head a little.  Thanks!  And Yes he is a snickers fan!

ppaltice

Re: umpire plays
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »
Middle screens, though not unusual, have a slightly different mechanic than normal passing plays (umpire's stay back and wingmen determine if forward pass crosses NZ, ineligibles down field, etc.)

Swinging gate.  Where is U's position?  Who is he watching?

Sweep to sideline that goes for a long gain.  Where are U, R, and opposite wingman during the run?

Close to LTG on HL's side.  Does U or LJ make the determination that it is close?

Near the end of the quarter when you tell the U he has the clock, what do you want him to do?  (Keep you updated with each ready?  Delay you slightly if between 30 and 26s?  Etc.)?

busman

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:12:34 AM »
Anything regarding an illegal snap or the actions of the center.

The center but two hands on the ball, then took one of...

Upon coming to the line, the center turned the ball 180 degrees...

Can the center call the cadence?

On a kick formation, B75 hits center A51 before he brings his head up, but clearly 2-3 seconds after the snap...

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
We had one Friday night that the crew agreed they missed.

4th down, punt formation.  Our punt formation is 5 men in the center of the line, 2 wideouts (gunners) on the line, 2 "wings" off the line and outside the 5 man center of the line, a personal protector about 4-5 yards deep, and the punter with his heels at 14 yards.

Snap to the personal protector, who throws a quick "pop" pass to one of the wings that goes out about 5 yards.  Defense blocks the wing continuously (including while the ball is in the air toward him), thinking he is a gunner going downfield to cover.

No flag.  We spend a time out to talk to the WH, who gathers the crew together, and says, "Coach, the umpire or the deep guys should have seen it, but no one was looking at it to be honest with you."

Six man crew.  Now I'm not sure why the HL or LJ wouldn't have seen it and why he threw the U and the deep guys under the bus, but it sure is a coverage issue worth discussing.

And yes, we told the R & U before the game during our discussion of "unusual plays" that we might throw out of a punt formation.

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:17:47 PM »
AB, I keep telling you you are using the wrong association, but that's beside the point. ;D

The R probably threw the U under the bus because he was the biggest target.

But back to the original post, here are a couple...

On a try,(or any play for that matter)  Tackles & Guards feet are interlocked...
On a try or FG, at the snap each lineman grabs the leg of the player next to him...
On a running play up the middle,Guard wraps his arm around the center's waist or shoulders...
#97 lines up next to the center....
scrimmage kick formation, R rushes men in through the center/guard gap contacting the snapper...
scrimmage kick formation, R player jumps over the guard who is blocking down...
O lineman in a 3 pt stance, just prior to the snap raises his other arm quickly to point out who he is blocking and says "him". D lineman encroaches....
Ball is ready for play, O-line in their stance, D Linebacker yells out "HAWK" which is the name of the defense they are running, Offensive Lineman moves.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:27:36 AM »
AB, I keep telling you you are using the wrong association, but that's beside the point. ;D

The R probably threw the U under the bus because he was the biggest target.

Ok, follow up to the story.  The referee had asked me for a copy of the game film.  Since they meet on our campus on Monday nights, I told him I would bring it by before the meeting.

When I took it by last night, in a pleasant conversation, I gave him the film and asked him to please take a particular look at that play.  His answer, "Coach, I'll be happy to look at it, but I have no doubt we missed it."  I gathered it was a major part of their post game discussion.  He said the wings should have had the inside receivers and the deep guys should have had the wideouts, (it was an inside receiver that was held).  He also said it was NOT the umpire's responsibility.  But everyone on the crew ANTICIPATED the punt and didn't stay on their keys.

I'm sure it's a tough play to cover, but it was the anticipation of the punt that killed them (and us) on this play.  While having a knowledge of what will probably happen is certainly good for an official, not keeping what COULD happen in mind can cause things to get missed.