Author Topic: OREGON 45-Point Running clock mercy rule  (Read 5686 times)

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
OREGON 45-Point Running clock mercy rule
« on: May 15, 2020, 07:50:24 PM »

OREGON 45-Point Running clock rule

I am gathering statistics for comparison purposes and I would like each of your help from the various states.

"Many people are saying"
45 points is just a bit too high for our running clock rule.
Our rule states if a team achieves a margin of 45 points at halftime or anytime beyond we go to a running clock and
we continue with a running clock even if the margin is reduced to less that 45.

I am interested in comparing our rule with your rule and building a spread sheet as, again, many of us feel 45 is the wrong number.

1 - Does your state have a mercy rule?
2 - What is the magic number?
3 - When is it in effect? (2nd Half? Other?)
4 - If the losing team scores to reduce the margin do you revert back to regular timing or continue with the running clock?

Thank you kindly for your time.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: OREGON 45-Point Running clock mercy rule
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 08:22:53 PM »
NC is 42 points after halftime.  Once invoked, it is on for the balance of the game.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 11:27:49 PM »
OREGON 45-Point Running clock rule

I am interested in comparing our rule with your rule and building a spread sheet as, again, many of us feel 45 is the wrong number.

1 - Does your state have a mercy rule?
2 - What is the magic number?
3 - When is it in effect? (2nd Half? Other?)
4 - If the losing team scores to reduce the margin do you revert back to regular timing or continue with the running clock?

Thank you kindly for your time.

Below is the GA rule direct from the GHSA Constitution and By-Laws

"When there is a competitive imbalance between teams, the coach of a team trailing by 30 points or more at
halftime may choose to play the second half with a running clock. Quarters will remain at 12 minutes.
1. If the coach does not exercise the option of the running clock, the third quarter will be played with regulation
timing.
2. If the point differential reaches, or remains, 30 or more points during the third quarter, the clock will still run
according to rule for the remainder of the third quarter, but the fourth quarter will have a running clock mandated.
3. A running clock means the clock will be stopped only:
(a) after a touchdown and until the ball is kicked off.
(b) during deliberations for penalty administration.
(c) during charged timeouts or official’s timeouts
4. A game that is reduced in time by use of a running clock shall constitute a “completed” game to meet other
by-law considerations."

If the coach elects a "running clock", the clock does not revert to regular timing if the score differential drops below 30 points.
Once a "running clock" is invoked, the game continues under a "running clock" for the remainder of the game.

Offline Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 10:42:47 AM »
Michigan's rule goes into effect with a 35 point lead in the second half. Clock reverts back if leads drops back under 30.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:39:30 AM by Matt »

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »
Highlighted below is from the 2019/20 Michigan High School Athletic Association Officials' Guidebook - Appendix A4

"II. Point Differential Rule
A. The running clock, 35-point margin rule shall be used for all football games, regular season and playoffs, varsity and
subvarsity, high school and junior high/middle school. After the first half, any time the score differential reaches 35
points or more, the following changes, and only these changes, shall be made regarding rules determining when the
clock will and will not be stopped. The clock shall run continuously except for the following situations when it will be
stopped (T I P S):
1. Timeouts (charged to a team)
2. Intermission (between 3rd and 4th quarters, and after a score)
3. Penalty enforcement (whistle to ready-to-play)
4. Safety reasons (injuries, etc.)

Normal timing procedures shall resume if the point differential is reduced to less than 35 points. Additionally, should
the point margin increase to a 50 point differential any time in the second half, the clock will run continuously except
for officials’ timeouts for injured players.

Note: The use of this option does not preclude the use of Rule 3-1-3 which reads: “A period or periods may be
shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee. By mutual agreement of the
opposing coaches and the referee any remaining periods may be shortened at any time or the game may be terminated"

Offline Mississippi H

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Hi Mom!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 07:43:05 PM »
No mercy in Mississippi.  If both coaches agree we can have a running clock. 

Offline Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 07:50:46 AM »
Highlighted below is from the 2019/20 Michigan High School Athletic Association Officials' Guidebook - Appendix A4

"II. Point Differential Rule
A. The running clock, 35-point margin rule shall be used for all football games, regular season and playoffs, varsity and
subvarsity, high school and junior high/middle school. After the first half, any time the score differential reaches 35
points or more, the following changes, and only these changes, shall be made regarding rules determining when the
clock will and will not be stopped. The clock shall run continuously except for the following situations when it will be
stopped (T I P S):
1. Timeouts (charged to a team)
2. Intermission (between 3rd and 4th quarters, and after a score)
3. Penalty enforcement (whistle to ready-to-play)
4. Safety reasons (injuries, etc.)

Normal timing procedures shall resume if the point differential is reduced to less than 35 points. Additionally, should
the point margin increase to a 50 point differential any time in the second half, the clock will run continuously except
for officials’ timeouts for injured players.

Note: The use of this option does not preclude the use of Rule 3-1-3 which reads: “A period or periods may be
shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee. By mutual agreement of the
opposing coaches and the referee any remaining periods may be shortened at any time or the game may be terminated"

Thanks for correcting me Curious. Suffering from a brain fart.

Offline toma

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 09:02:37 AM »
In Mass we have the following:

RUNNING CLOCK; A running clock will be used: when a point differential reaches 42 points at the beginning of or any time during the 3rd quarter or a 30 point differential at the beginning of or any time during the 4th quarter.  It will continue for the remainder of the game.”  The clock will only stop for an injured player or at the Referee’s decision. Team A scores and reaches either point differential. The R will signal the TD and Wind the Clock.

The clock will not stop for Time outs, penalty enforcement or measurements.
The between the 3rd & 4th the field will be switched, the R will make the ball ready and wind the clock.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 08:03:10 AM »
Maine - the Vacationland State - out-of-staters need to stay locked up for 14 days upon arrival  :puke:

35 point lead in 2nd half begins running time excepting : Time-outs, Injury, Penalty, Score (TIPS).
If the lead shrinks below 35, back to regular. If this occurs, we approach the trailing coach and asks if he wishes to continue with running time. The answer is usually YES.

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 08:24:02 PM »
No mercy rule in New York.  Running clock if both coaches agree.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 08:53:56 AM »
FL, 35pts anytime after Q2.
Once we go to mercy, aint no turning back.
Clock runs for everything but: any TO; USC penalties only and time between quarters.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:58:07 AM by TampaSteve »

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 05:55:08 PM »
Arkansas

After the first half, any time the score differential reaches 35 points or more for 11- man football, the following changes, and only these changes, will be made regarding rules determining when the clock will be stopped. The clock will be stopped when:
1) An official’s time-out is called
a) when a first down is declared
b) following a change of team possession
c) to dry or change game ball
2) A charged time-out is called
3) At the end of a period
4) A score occurs
Note: The clock will continue to run in all other situations.
Note: The use of this rule does not preclude the use of NFHS Rule 3-1-3, which reads: “A period or periods may be shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and referee. By mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee, any remaining periods may be shortened at any time or the game terminated.”
Note: After the 35 point difference has been met, if the score drops below 35 points the clock does not revert back to regular timing.
do or do not there is no try

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 03:01:17 PM »

This is awesome. I have 23 states on my spreadsheet so far.

Please keep those cards and letters coming?
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 05:15:04 PM »
WISCONSIN:

The following rule regarding the use of running time must be used: 

(1) After the first quarter, when the score differntial reaches 35 points or more, coaches may mutually agree to implement the use of the running clock. 

(2) After the first half any time the score differential reaches 35 points or more, beginning with the ensuing kickoff the following changes, and only these changes, will be made regarding rules determining when the clock will and will not be stopped. The clock will run continuously except for the following situations when it will be stopped:

(a) Timeouts charged to a team.

(b) After a score.

(c) Intermission between 3rd and 4th quarters.

(d) Extended injury time outs.

(e) Any time officials determine it is necessary for safety reasons.

Note:

(a) Normal clock operating procedures resume when a team scores to make the differential less than 35 points in the third quarter.  The running clock will be maintained in the fourth quarter even if the score differential goes below 35 points. 

(b) The use of this rule does not preclude the use of Rule 3-1-3 which reads:   “A  period or periods may be shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee.  By mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee any remaining periods may be shortened at any time or the game may be terminated.”

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 08:02:39 PM »
California
35 point differential invokes Mercy rule.
If quarters 1-3, both coaches need to agree to a running clock.
In 4th quarter, automatic running clock
Clock only stops for scores, injuries, timeouts.
Once the running clock begins, there is no going back if the trailing team gets under the 35 point differential.

Most of the time, we won't ask the coaches about a running clock until 3rd quarter.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 09:24:07 AM »
Illinois- second half only, when differential reaches 40 points clock will run for rest of game, clock stops for Scores, Timeouts, Extended Injuries, and Intermission between Q3 and Q4. It does NOT stop for penalty enforcement. Makes a false start against the winning team a real handy way to burn off some time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:26:02 AM by stevegarbs »

Offline bjfb

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 08:05:27 PM »
No mercy in South Carolina either. If both coaches agree, you can have a running clock.

Offline OkieZebra

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 09:52:15 PM »
Oklahoma:

"In eight-man football, a game will conclude when a team leads by 45 points at halftime or anytime during the second half."

Nothing for 11 man.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 04:15:40 PM »
We have no mercy rule in NY. There has always been an 'unwritten' mercy rule by officials in our area.

If the game gets out of hand in the second half (like 28-0 or anytime it seems that one team is completely dominant over the other) or even in the 2nd quarter if it's like 35-0.....  players running out of bounds (even clearly) will be judged to have been in-bounds to keep the clock running. The clock won't stop after first downs. The clock will start on the ready at times like a 1st down after change-of-possession, or even an incomplete pass. If the losing coach is upset with this, then we will revert to 'real rules'.

I absolutely hate doing this - it looks cheap, but when your R tells you to do it, which almost all of them do, you comply.

Do other officials do things like this before a mercy rule kicks in?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 11:08:48 PM »

With a mercy rule, there is no need to play loose.  In fact what you want to happen if it appears to be a mismatch is for it to hurry up and get there.

Prior to our rule we would have to get both coaches permission to have a running clock AND we weren't to be the ones to bring it up.  Wings were stuck in this unusual dance of getting one coach to bring it up so they could say "I dunno, let me check" and then tell their counterpart "My coach is asking about running the clock" to engage his coach on the subject and then both report it to the R.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 02:01:27 PM »
We have no mercy rule in NY. There has always been an 'unwritten' mercy rule by officials in our area.

If the game gets out of hand in the second half (like 28-0 or anytime it seems that one team is completely dominant over the other) or even in the 2nd quarter if it's like 35-0.....  players running out of bounds (even clearly) will be judged to have been in-bounds to keep the clock running. The clock won't stop after first downs. The clock will start on the ready at times like a 1st down after change-of-possession, or even an incomplete pass. If the losing coach is upset with this, then we will revert to 'real rules'.

I absolutely hate doing this - it looks cheap, but when your R tells you to do it, which almost all of them do, you comply.

There is a difference, in my mind at least, between playing loose with judgement calls to keep the clock running and simply changing the rules.

If a player runs untouched out of bounds, it looks really bad to just let the clock keep running. If it's a close play by the sideline and you can argue the runner's forward progress was stopped in bounds... that's a different story.

I often get a little flak for signalling to stopping the clock on first downs when our mercy rule is in effect, but I'd rather maintain the habit and mechanics -- I see a first down, I stop the clock and that's communicating to the R that it's a first down. Under our mercy rule, we often tell the clock operators to let the clock keep winding no matter what you see once it's in effect.

If there is no running clock rule in effect if I stop the clock for the first down, especially now with the silent wind, the R can restart the clock right away. At most it's paused for 2-3 seconds, not saving/wasting that much time.

The last impression I want to give is, "Oh, we're ignoring those rules because I want to get home quickly".

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 09:09:54 AM »
VA goes to the running clock for a 35 point or greater lead any time in teh second half, with the clock only stopping for TIPS as stated above.  If the score difference drops under 35, we go back to normal timing rules.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 10:13:40 AM »
Certainly we're not state rulemakers, but I think it's a little silly for those states to initiate a mercy rule, then revert back.
From my experience: Teams get up by the mercy rule point differential, then put in 2nd string.
Losing team then scores on an 80-yd play on their first possession...and here we go back to normal timing.

Likewise, to me for a state not to have any mercy rule is silly..

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 02:34:50 PM »
Certainly we're not state rulemakers, but I think it's a little silly for those states to initiate a mercy rule, then revert back.
From my experience: Teams get up by the mercy rule point differential, then put in 2nd string.
Losing team then scores on an 80-yd play on their first possession...and here we go back to normal timing.

Likewise, to me for a state not to have any mercy rule is silly..

You'll get no argument from me.  Especially since we wait for the 2nd half.  If a team was good enough to have a legitimate chance to come back from a 35 point deficit in the second half, they wouldn't be down by that much to begin with.   I know it's high school kids, and goofy stuff happens, but the odds are definitely not in their favor at that point.