Author Topic: Two questions- NFHS mechanics manual '12-'13  (Read 6366 times)

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Two questions- NFHS mechanics manual '12-'13
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »
1) Reviewing the 5 man crew KO mechanic- where do I (HL) pick up the runner from R?  The manual doesn't state and I can't tell if the diagram indicates I'm to cover down to the R15 yl or I just have the blocking down to there.  I know I have 15 yards "down sideline", "after the ball has gone downfield.

Under our prior mechanics (not standard Fed), I had the R restraining line, (50) and took the runner at about the R35 all the way to K's goal line.   According to my knowledgable source, we will be using the Fed mechanic this season.

2) Keys- page 31.  The strength to LJ's side diagram and the strength to L's diagram on this page are identical yet the verbiage indicates they are different.  I assume this is just a Fed editing boo-boo?   Arrrrrrrrrrrrgggghh!
 hEaDbAnG

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Two questions- NFHS mechanics manual '12-'13
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:27:12 AM »
1) Reviewing the 5 man crew KO mechanic- where do I (HL) pick up the runner from R?  The manual doesn't state and I can't tell if the diagram indicates I'm to cover down to the R15 yl or I just have the blocking down to there.  I know I have 15 yards "down sideline", "after the ball has gone downfield.
Just spoke to a member of the Manual committee and he said the committee's intent is for H to pick up the runner at the 30. FWIW, B will have goal line responsibility, so that tells me H has a lot of ground to cover.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:07:03 AM »
Just spoke to a member of the Manual committee and he said the committee's intent is for H to pick up the runner at the 30. FWIW, B will have goal line responsibility, so that tells me H has a lot of ground to cover.
Good info.  :thumbup
What about the other side of the field?
I take it U has goal line responsibility too; therefore, L take runner all the way?   :o

mbyron

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:12:34 AM »
I take it U has goal line responsibility too; therefore, L take runner all the way?   :o

The only way you're going to get U to run 50 yards is to have a snickers tied to the B's belt!

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »
So U will start @ the R40 & at the kick begin his retreat to K goal line. - instead of covering the play.
 LOL

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
Let the "U" jokes roll!  :sTiR:
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

mbyron

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »
Let the "U" jokes roll!  :sTiR:

U ... roll ... I get it! :)

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »
he said the committee's intent is for H to pick up the runner at the 30

It would be truly nice if they actually express their intent in writing rather than let us guess. 

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:13:28 PM »

The only way you're going to get U to run 50 yards is to have a snickers tied to the B's belt!

Which is why my association has him start with the kicker, so U only has to go 40 yards. (Actually, about 35, since he starts standng next to the kicker.) He can just turn and go as soon as the kick is off.  :)

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »
Which is why my association has him start with the kicker, so U only has to go 40 yards. (Actually, about 35, since he starts standng next to the kicker.) He can just turn and go as soon as the kick is off. 

And us too, until now.

I have watched numerous videos of my games over the last few days dating back to 2007.  On normal kicks, there is never a question about any of the blocking.  On the 3 or 4 onside kicks I watched, no K player warranted a 2nd look.  Once again we have a rule change in search of a problem.

Offline RGraydonR

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
I think there is (another) boo-boo in the new Mechanics Manual.  On page 19 they say the Line Judge, in both 4-man and 5-man (who is now at the R10 yard line in 5-man) is to ID R's restraining line and count K.  I think they mean for the Umpire to do this in 5-man and the LJ to do it in 4-man.
Oops.