Author Topic: Opinions on Defensive Pass Interference Procedure  (Read 12463 times)

Wildcat66

Opinions on Defensive Pass Interference Procedure
« on: October 04, 2014, 10:29:25 AM »
Had defensive pass interference during our game last night.

Ball was moved half the distance to goal.
Team A was yelling for a automatic first down.
The down marker was correct but could not get the time keeper
to correct the scoreboard to show the proper down.

Informed HC that the automatic first down on DPI had been changed.
We continued play with the SB showing incorrect down.

Since this was a continuing drive that had the ball on B's 3 yard line we were reluctant
to stop play to explain the rules.

Before the next kickoff I talked to the HC in greater length about the rule change and
he agreed that he remembered the change.

Does anyone have a different opinion about how our crew handled this?

Thanks.....Nick

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
Re: Opinions on Defensive Pass Interference Procedure
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
Not to sound disrespectful but I couldn't care less what down is on the scoreboard or what the PA announcer says the down is. As long as the box is correct and the crew and teams know what down it is, that's all I'm concerned with.

Wildcat66

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »
Not to sound disrespectful but I couldn't care less what down is on the scoreboard or what the PA announcer says the down is. As long as the box is correct and the crew and teams know what down it is, that's all I'm concerned with.

No disrespect taken. I appreciate your opinion. Game would go a lot easier if some
coaches kept up on the rules.......Nick

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
...and when the scoreboard operators pay attention to what's going on.  :P

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
Did you throw in this is the second season we've done it?

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
Re: Re: Opinions on Defensive Pass Interference Procedure
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:41:12 PM »
I'm with you.  While the fans and their experience are important, the most important people are those down on the field.  As long as my coaches and players know what's going on, I'm happy.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 12:31:32 AM »
We had a similar DPI call last night. Middle of the 3rd quarter, 2 and G from the B8. DPI. We move the ball to the 4 and repeat 2nd down. Team A Coach calls a time out so he can have a conference with the WH. Swears that it should be first down and the ball moved to the 1 (spot of the foul). In the end, he only has two timeouts left and we are still 2 and G at B4.

Offline BBref

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 08:45:03 AM »
Had a game last year with a PF on a third-down incomplete pass from inside the 10. Coach insisted it should be a first down, and wouldn't buy our explanation that in HS this is not an automatic first down.

Two years before had a game where the team was inside the five and had an incidental facemask. Went half the distance and replayed the down. Two plays later had a PF facemask. Went half the distance and wrongly awarded a first down. No complaints from anyone.

Proof of one of my fundamentals of officiating: People think we screw up all the time, but when we actually screw up nobody knows it.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »

Proof of one of my fundamentals of officiating: People think we screw up all the time, but when we actually screw up nobody knows it.

+1

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 06:33:15 PM »
It's clearly our responsibility to be able to accurately know, and explain, NFHS rules.  It's also helpful in doing that, if you're able to identify specific differences that may exist with either NCAA or NFL rules to help misinformed individuals understand. 

However, whether or not an accurate explanation is sufficient to persuade someone, that they are misinformed and/or ignorant, is sometimes beyond our control. Ignorance can usually be corrected by providing the correct information and detail, stubborn and stupid, on the other hand, are often beyond our capabilities to correct and are often not worth extended effort.   

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004

Johnponz

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 07:57:21 AM »
DPI really needs to have the Automatic First Down added back.  This really does come into play a few times during the season, and repeating the down just does not seem fair.

I used to be in the camp that if DPI had an auto first down OPI should have a loss of down.  I really do not care anymore about the OPI, but DPI needs to be an automatic first down.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 09:35:21 AM »
I agree. 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 09:56:14 AM »
Our job is to make sure the down box is correct as the chain crew are fellow officials. Our job is to make sure the clock is correct as the clock operator is a fellow official. Our job is not to worry about : "down & distance" , "ball on"  and other items that might be on the scoreboard. We have plenty to worry about as it is. P_S

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 10:06:13 AM »
What about the actual score on the score board? I had a game last year where the scoreboard operator never added one team's touchdown and the score was off by six points. The crew knew the correct score and told the coaches. Should we correct the scoreboard?

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »
What about the actual score on the score board? I had a game last year where the scoreboard operator never added one team's touchdown and the score was off by six points. The crew knew the correct score and told the coaches. Should we correct the scoreboard?
Tell the coaches, and let the home team coach have it corrected.  As long as you have the right score and let the teams know, the scoreboard is meaningless.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
When the score is in error, the frenzied masses often become frenzy-er >:( :( :o ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-*. The :'( scoreboard operator often quickly corrects his error. We've got the real score, that's the important part.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »
Even though the R keeps the official score,  I take the few extra seconds to have the scoreboard corrected.  Too many things can happen when it's wrong, none of which are good.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »
I agree with you that would feel more comfortable with an auto 1st down on DPI.

I disagree that we'll see that change soon....

Rule change needs 34 votes to pass, this change got exactly that.

To add back the auto 1st down would require a rule change = 18 voters would need to change their mind.

Last fall's on line questionnaire (that many of you probably answered) backs up the change.....
 Was revising the pass interference penalties satisfactory?
   coach 73% yes   , official 63% yes  , state 78% yes

I've been on the Rules Committee since 1994 and the only change that was more conterversal was the COP timing change of 1996, which also passed by a single vote. There was a huge clamor by all involved, as games were now lasting "much,much longer". Several states asked to run an "experimental rule" of the old rule for the next year. The questionnaire showed less than 30% of each voter class felt it was satisfactory. The change was on the ballot to change back to the old rule. 3 or 4 changed their opinion, but not the 18 needed. And the band played on........

Offline BoBo

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 02:02:17 PM »
The problem with the question is some may have felt yes it was a good change for no loss of down on OPI, but I think many felt it was bad change for auto first down being eliminated.

It should have been asked in two different forms- one regarding OPi and one regarding to DPI

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 02:40:04 PM »
Agreed, the questionnaire was terribly worded.  I write questionnaires for a living.  I volunteer my services to help with the next one!

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »
I voted no on that question last year, but only because I didn't like losing the auto first down.  That said, DPI not coming with a first down anymore hasn't been anywhere even vaguely near as big of an issue as I expected it was going to be.  I had to remind people a couple of times early last season, and I had one game so far this year that the coach needed a reminder, but that's it. 

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
I write questionnaires for a living.
Shows how much I know. I thought you coached kickers for a living.  ;D
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 06:53:41 AM »
Shows how much I know. I thought you coached kickers for a living.  ;D
I wish I could make a living coaching kickers.  Unfortunately, that doesn't pay all the bills.  I work As a Research Director.  Thankfully, it is something with a flexible schedule that still allows me to coach.  School asked me to come be a full time teacher and coach, but what a pay cut!

Support whatever local politician that supports putting money (and better administration) into the schools!

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 08:08:59 AM »
Agreed, the questionnaire was terribly worded.  I write questionnaires for a living.  I volunteer my services to help with the next one!
Where the change to both OPI & DPI were passed as one change, it had to be on the questionnaire as such. I agree that the displeasure of removing AFD from DPI by many, were offset by the pleasure of removing LOD from OPI by many more.

It will probably take a rash of happenings throughout the country where the lack of AFD was a game changer to get it back.

Since the change, it happened once in my game. 1st & 17 after a holding call behind the LOS. DPI  ^flag = now 1st & 2 (better than 1st & 10). I , along with many fellow officials and coaches, would like AFD back but it may take a while.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:11:00 AM by Ralph Damren »