Author Topic: Game Over?  (Read 3062 times)

Offline SanDiegoStryker

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Game Over?
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:11:55 AM »
A is losing 14-21 in the fourth, last play of the game. They complete a long pass where the receiver starts taunting his opponents at the 5 yard line while running into the end zone. What's next? Do we have a try because 8-3-1 says a try follows a touchdown except when the points wouldn't matter, or do we end the game with B winning because 3-3-4 says a period is not extended for an untimed down when there is an unsportsmanlike foul?

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Re: Game Over?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:16:18 AM »
I would think, and I might be wrong, that B would accept the penalty, move them back 15 for the try and allow them to try.  Based on the result, you have OT or not
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »
A try ALWAYS comes after a touchdown if the 1 or 2 points might change the outcome of the game.

A try is an untimed down that 8-3-1 is referring to, but it's also NOT the untimed down that 3-3-4 is referring to. Do not question the rule book. It's perfect.  hEaDbAnG

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »
3-3-3d allows an untimed down to extend a period for a try regardless if there are any fouls to worry about as long as the winner is still in doubt.

8-2-4a & b would enforce penalty in OP on try. There ain't no (b) kickoffs in NFHS OT, so that wouldn't be an option. 
                    HOWEVER....

If a foul by B occurred during the successful try, A/K has the choice of (8-3-5a & b) A can take the point(s) and the penalty enforced on the succeeding spot (b), the opening play of the OT....

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:18:26 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline SanDiegoStryker

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 11:02:05 PM »
Cool, I agree with you all. A certain magazine that I was reading stated that the game would be over with team A losing by one point. That seemed crazy to me. Thank you for confirming!!

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 09:48:13 AM »
Cool, I agree with you all. A certain magazine that I was reading stated that the game would be over with team A losing by one point. That seemed crazy to me. Thank you for confirming!!

Our rules interpreter sent out a letter to us all informing us that this interpretation from this certain magazine was incorrect.

shooter1

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »
Must be careful with this--in our part of the world, district play is just beginning and there can be ties within districts--the winner of the district is sometimes determined by point differential.  So--if in doubt, have the point after touchdown.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 11:19:08 AM »
I don't know why you would not have the try.  Rule 8-3-1, Exception, states that "If a touchdown is scored during the last down of the fourth period, the try shall not be attempted unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game or playoff qualifying." As stated in the O.P., the point(s) could affect the outcome of the game.