Author Topic: Rules Study Tips  (Read 10676 times)

Offline jwcardin

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Rules Study Tips
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »
What are some tips or methods do you use to study rules? I am going into my second year of officiating and looking for advice on studying more efficiently.

Offline east louis

• FAN REACTION: +1/-15
Re: Rules Study Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »
find a mentor to help guide you,read each rule and break it down,and hit youtube and watch video...everytime you go to the throne.take book with you

Grant - AR

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »
What are some tips or methods do you use to study rules? I am going into my second year of officiating and looking for advice on studying more efficiently.

As Rogers Redding always says...one of the best things you can do is study a rule and then write it out in your own words.  If you can explain it in your own words well enough for someone else to understand it, you know it.

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
Study and learn Rule 2, when you learn the definitions; the rest will come easier. Also, Pre-Game conferences can be a great learning tool. If you are not working on varsity nights, try contacting a white hat and see if you can sit in on the crews Pre-Game Conference.
Keep checking these and other forums … they can also be a great place for learning. Good luck.

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:46:26 PM »
Read the Football Fundamentals (page 80-81 of the 2011 Rules Book) and ask your self with each one if you truly understand it well enough that you could have been the one who came up with it. In other words make sure thay make perfect sense to you.  As previously said, read rule 2, read rule 2, read rule 2, read rule 2, read rule 2.
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »
Read the Football Fundamentals (page 80-81 of the 2011 Rules Book) and ask your self with each one if you truly understand it well enough that you could have been the one who came up with it. In other words make sure thay make perfect sense to you.  As previously said, read rule 2, read rule 2, read rule 2, read rule 2, read rule 2.
Ditto.  Fundamentals & Rule-2 will lead you to the path of rightousness.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:07:42 PM »
Just in case you might not have understood.  Read Rule 2, don't just read learn rule 2.  Everything else will be so much easier if you understand the definitions.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 07:23:49 AM »
I tell our new guys that learning Rule 2 and the Football Fundamentals will jump-start their understanding of the rules.

And just wonderin':  Since we all agree that the FF are highly important, why are they printed so dadgum small?

mbyron

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 08:46:16 AM »
And just wonderin':  Since we all agree that the FF are highly important, why are they printed so dadgum small?

To fit on 2 pages.  8]

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
And its 2 pages to keep in the theme about rule 2. As stated above learn it, all others are based on the definitions it contains.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:42:14 PM by Tom.OH »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

takemeaway10

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 08:06:16 AM »
Reading =/= studying. Anyone can read a rule and say "Yeah, I knew that." Studying is a test of your memory and comprehension. Basically, you need to put yourself in a situation similar to being on the field where there won't be a book nearby to reference (unless you're like me and you have the pdf on your phone... but looking at your phone in the middle of a game is another can of worms).

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »
but looking at your phone in the middle of a game is another can of worms).

Even HAVING your phone on the field is a big no-no around here.

takemeaway10

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:30:30 AM »
Since no one's white hat will go checking our pockets, let's just say that it should never be seen on the field.

Offline jwcardin

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 08:44:54 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I knew to study rule 2 but adding the fundamentals (p.80-81) has been a big help. Why are they tucked away so deep into the book?

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I knew to study rule 2 but adding the fundamentals (p.80-81) has been a big help. Why are they tucked away so deep into the book?
Because they so rarely change, they have their own special place in the book.  Also, they are the solution when everything that has come before them fails.
None of these fans paid to see us

takemeaway10

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 09:39:24 AM »

My guess: They're not rules; they are logical conclusions that are derived from the rules. Also, for some of the fundamentals, you have to know the rules behind it in order for you to comprehend the fundamental.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
Rule 2
Fundamentals
Last years rule changes
This years rule changes
Reddings NFHS guide
Old test questions

Offline jwcardin

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 10:09:19 AM »
old test questions would be good. anyone have any old tests or quizzes on pdf they could share?

Offline NWA_UMP

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »
Hi folks...I'm new to the board. As a crew we will assign one guy to come up with the oddest situation they can. Research the rules and pose it as our "Drivetime" discussion on our way to the Friday night game. That helps test us on our knowledge as individual officials but it also allows us to dig deeper into rules. Our old Crew Chief has called for 20+ years and does DII & DI NCAA as well...he got us started doing this. Won't necessarily help with the test, but helps with game application of the rules.   

Grant - AR

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »
Hi folks...I'm new to the board. As a crew we will assign one guy to come up with the oddest situation they can. Research the rules and pose it as our "Drivetime" discussion on our way to the Friday night game. That helps test us on our knowledge as individual officials but it also allows us to dig deeper into rules. Our old Crew Chief has called for 20+ years and does DII & DI NCAA as well...he got us started doing this. Won't necessarily help with the test, but helps with game application of the rules.

Welcome to the board and great idea! :thumbup