Author Topic: mechanics on measurement (5 man)  (Read 11936 times)

Offline jwcardin

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
mechanics on measurement (5 man)
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:50:41 PM »
What are the proper mechanics on a measurement for a 5 man crew? I was told it changed this year. We messed it up last night and I was looking for a clear answer. If any one has an illustration of it would be great.

Wingman

Re: mechanics on measurement (5 man)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
Are we talking standard NFHS published mechanics here or mechanics your specific state asks you to follow?
If following NFHS standards, there was a minor LJ change in 2010. Did not see any additional changes for 2011.

That being said, what did you think went wrong?

mbyron

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
R: signal officials' time out and wave on chains; judge first down or not.

LM: grab rear LTG indicator and chain at clip to bring onto field; lay indicator on field, spot clip, and tell U to stretch chain.

U: grab forward LTG indicator to bring onto field; stretch chain once LM is ready.

LJ: use a foot to mark where LM should place clip for measurement.

BJ: move players away and tend ball.

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:06:31 PM »
R: signal officials' time out and wave on chains; judge first down or not.

LM: grab rear LTG indicator and chain at clip to bring onto field; lay indicator on field, spot clip, and tell U to stretch chain.

U: grab forward LTG indicator to bring onto field; stretch chain once LM is ready.

LJ: use a foot to mark where LM should place clip for measurement.

BJ: move players away and tend ball.

Here, the LM grabs the clip.

The chain crew brings the LTG stakes onto the field.

Neither the LM nor the U brings a stake onto the field.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:37:01 AM by FBUmp »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:21:30 PM »
R- observes rod
U- pulls front rod
H- brings out chains, holding at clip
L- spots clip with foot
B- sets box if 1st down

Offline jwcardin

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.

TH, it may be state specific. All the answers above sound like what I expected. I am in Tennessee. I was told that the LJ (which was me) was suppose to mark the clip spot with my bean bag and then after that I was told different things. I think I was to tend the ball and the BJ was to go protect the integrity of the box. I do not remember what other responsibilities were. Can anyone clarify?

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:39:25 AM »
The BJ standing at the box is the OLD mechanic.  We used to do that, too.  But the NFHS mechanic changed to the BJ making sure the ball doesn't move.

Offline golfingref

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »
As BJ, I will also get another football from A's sideline so that we can leave the original ball in place while the new ball is being spotted by R. If the chain slips out, breaks, etc, we still have the ball at the spot of the end of the run.

Wingman

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 07:32:28 PM »

TH, it may be state specific. ..

A bean bag, I guess it can't hurt.
The NF change last year was for the LJ to put his foot BEHIND the yardline where clip is to be placed for proper alignment.  Made sense to us.. other wise the LJ would have his foot in the way if it was one the yardline. Of course we do so few 5-man games up here, I havn't heard any pros/cons on that change.

Regarding the BJ tending the box.. Nope.. obsolete mechanic.. He's needed out by the ball to clear the area out and tend the ball during the measurement.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:04:31 AM »

TH, it may be state specific. All the answers above sound like what I expected. I am in Tennessee. I was told that the LJ (which was me) was suppose to mark the clip spot with my bean bag and then after that I was told different things. I think I was to tend the ball and the BJ was to go protect the integrity of the box. I do not remember what other responsibilities were. Can anyone clarify?

You were told correctly.  Tennessee is moving backwards with their mechanics.  The LJ marks, with his BB where the HL will put the clip and then holds the ball for measurement.  The BJ sets the box.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Mike L

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »
Our assoc

R = makes the call
U = holds the ball
H = brings out the clip/chains
L = stretches the chain
B = marks the spot for H's clip

In 4 man everything stays the same except the R marks the spot

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »
R- observes rod
U- pulls front rod
H- brings out chains, holding at clip
L- spots clip with foot
B- sets box if 1st down

My association follows this.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 11:55:22 AM »
My association follows this.

Ditto.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
Ball gets set on the field for a new series, and is not on a five yard stripe, might not even be on a yard line.  Chains are set, which is certainly an inexact "science".  Offense moves the ball approximately 10 yards, and official spots the forward progress of the ball, which may have crossed a sideline, may have been in a pileup, etc.  Again, an inexact "science" at best.  If either of those spots is within a few inches of "reality", great.

And then when make a big production of bringing out the chains, getting the clip set, stretching the chains, checking the ball against the pole, all for something that was set up by a couple of best guesses to begin with!  THIS is the point when we try to get precise?

It's a freaking coin flip anyway!  Let the R look, flip his mental coin, and move on.  If I never see another measurement again it will be just fine.

mbyron

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 02:19:12 PM »
It's a freaking coin flip anyway!  Let the R look, flip his mental coin, and move on.  If I never see another measurement again it will be just fine.

My sense is that many coaches feel the same way. I think some of them ask for a measurement just for a quick uncharged time-out.  ;)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »
And then when make a big production of bringing out the chains, getting the clip set, stretching the chains, checking the ball against the pole, all for something that was set up by a couple of best guesses to begin with!  THIS is the point when we try to get precise?

In a JV game as a white hat, I rarely call for measurements unless somebody's insisting on one or it's a 4th down play.  This is why.  :)