Author Topic: free kick after a fair catch  (Read 5204 times)

cbrunnjo

free kick after a fair catch
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »
Lets say K had two 15 yard fouls against them. They kick and R called for a fair catch. Can R now kick a field goal and score 3 points? Does the defense have to keep their 10 yard neutral zone buffer?

tow

Re: free kick after a fair catch
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:24:01 AM »
Yes they may score three points with a successful free kick,and all free kick rules apply.

hoochycoochy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
The mechanic is that the R and U go under the pipes and the U has the crossbar.  The other officials take up their usual free kick positions. 

Offline NWA_UMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:20:44 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong...Awarded fair catch...not just a fair catch.

Harry

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 04:29:55 PM »
Not only may they do that, but lets say they fair catch the kickoff and there is a live ball foul on the next play from scrimmage.  They may choose to free kick after a fair catch at that point because it's a replay of the down.   pray:;

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 07:27:40 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong...Awarded fair catch...not just a fair catch.

Not sure what you mean.  The free kick option can be used after an actual OR an awarded fair catch.

The mechanic is that the R and U go under the pipes and the U has the crossbar.  The other officials take up their usual free kick positions. 

Your state's mechanics may vary on this.  They are different in Georgia. For 7 man, it's the BJ and the FJ under.   For 6 man crews, the two deep officials go under the crossbar, in 5 man, the BJ goes under by himself.

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
AB, what I think he may be referring to is the fact that R would be able to spot the ball anywhere between the hashes, not just on the spot where R fair caught the ball.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 08:19:10 PM »
AB, what I think he may be referring to is the fact that R would be able to spot the ball anywhere between the hashes, not just on the spot where R fair caught the ball.

While that is true, who is referring to that in the above posts?  I'm totally confused!

Offline NWA_UMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:24:28 PM »
I went back and reread the free kick rule...I was thinking the only time you can free kick was after an awarded fair catch. I'm still a bit new at this...