Author Topic: Enforcement Question  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
Enforcement Question
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »
Here's one we had Friday.  I think we got it right, but had a few questions during and after game about it.

4th and 10 from B's 25.  A2 drops back to pass B37 (no pass is thrown) has illegal use of hands on receiver A88 at B20.  A2 scrambles and is sacked for a 9 yard loss at B34.   So we had a 10 yard penalty for Illegal Use of Hands.  Basic spot was end of the run we enforced 10 yards from the basic spot replay the down, 4th and 9.

Let me know if we missed something here.
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
Re: Enforcement Question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:42:13 PM »
No, you were correct.  Seems kind of unfair, doesn't it?

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
No, you were correct.  Seems kind of unfair, doesn't it?

Thanks.  It seemed significantly unfair, we were pretty sure we had it right at the time, but questions afterwards got us thinking.  Crew did a good job.  We huddled, went through the all but one and enforced accordingly.
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »
Yes it is unfair. If A88 had not been held maybe the QB gets the pass off. Or if he is still held and the pass falls incomplete the hold is from the previous spot and results in a first down.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
This is one of the many things that irks me about the NHFS application policies. In Canadian, the application point for fouls are PLS, PBH, PBD. And this one would be applied PLS, up 10 for Illegal Contact.

mbyron

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:54:46 AM »
This is one of the many things that irks me about the NHFS application policies. In Canadian, the application point for fouls are PLS, PBH, PBD. And this one would be applied PLS, up 10 for Illegal Contact.
Sure, but two 50 yard lines? C'mon man!  :P

I don't regard the NFHS enforcement as unfair. The QB held onto the ball and lost yardage, so the foul didn't affect a possible advance. Had he thrown the ball, the foul would have affected the play differently, so a different enforcement makes sense.

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
REPLY: I agree. There's an element of unfairness about this (in NCAA, it would be enforced from the previous spot). Here's where if the QB knew what was happening, he should just fumble the ball. Then enforcement would be from the previous spot. But obviouslly, that's too great a chance to take.
Bob M.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 02:19:31 PM »
We had a very similar play except it was 4th and 9 and it was a 12 yard loss.  I originally started to enforce it from the previous spot and give A a new series but before the R signalled the foul I realized I was using the NCAA enforcement (I work in both codes).  We slowed down, talked through it, and got it right.  My first thought was "that rule sucks, I prefer the college enforcement".