Author Topic: you make the call  (Read 7045 times)

bulldogs1msu

you make the call
« on: March 27, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »
team A has a runner at second and 1 out.
Team B does a pick off play where the second baseman and short stop run to cover 2nd as the pitcher whirls to throw.  The pitcher fakes the throw and the 2nd baseball and short stop both dive like its a wild pickoff throw.  The second baseball yells get the ball and they take off out toward center field. 
Team A runner dove back to the bag initially and when he hears the 2nd baseman yell get the ball, the base runner takes off toward 3rd base. 
The pitcher has the ball and the runner is now in a run down.  They tag him out for the 2nd out of the inning.  Do you have a call here or not? 

Offline wheels71

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: you make the call
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 06:39:56 AM »
Could this be a violation of 3-3-1 f?

4. behavior in any manner not in accordance with the spirit of fair play;

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »
IMHO,

(1) pretending something other than the baseball was a baseball and throwing that = obstruction & ejection....Happened several years ago with Pawsox AAA catcher. He peeled a potato, threw potato over runner @ 3rd and then tagged him with pitch he had caught = penalized as above.

(2) a fielder can cause verbal obstruction for pretending to be an umpire/teammate/coach of runner.

(3) faking a throw to 2nd isn't a balk. yelling verbal command to teammate probably isn't verbal obstruction.

(4) I probably would let play stand. It probably would only work once.

10-2-3g = 1-1-6 in football, if needed.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:06:00 AM by Ralph Damren »

ALStripes17

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:25:06 PM »
team A has a runner at second and 1 out.
Team B does a pick off play where the second baseman and short stop run to cover 2nd as the pitcher whirls to throw.  The pitcher fakes the throw and the 2nd baseball and short stop both dive like its a wild pickoff throw.  The second baseball yells get the ball and they take off out toward center field. 
Team A runner dove back to the bag initially and when he hears the 2nd baseman yell get the ball, the base runner takes off toward 3rd base. 
The pitcher has the ball and the runner is now in a run down.  They tag him out for the 2nd out of the inning.  Do you have a call here or not?
Dubbed as the 'Miami play'. Legal in all codes. Not obstruction (in FED) as the defense isn't saying anything to the offense, they are only saying 'get the ball' to each other.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bulldogs1msu

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 06:16:02 PM »
Here is my problem.  Why is the defense saying anything at all when they know the pitcher has the ball.  The only reason to say get the ball is to confuse the base runner.  Believe me, they are saying it to the offense, they have no other reason to say it. 

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:25:42 AM »
Why does the offense not know where the ball is?  As an umpire, I'm REQUIRED to know.

bulldogs1msu

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:32 PM »
Your responsibilities  pi1eOn

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 10:43:55 PM »
Same as the pitcher stepping off and faking a throw to first and the first baseman hauling it to the fence as if he had missed the throw. 

bulldogs1msu

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 03:21:59 PM »
not the same.  In order to have verbal obstruction something has to be said.  Just running away from the runner is not the same.  If you say something to confuse the runner, then we have a situation. 

Offline Ironhead17

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »
This play is common in our area. The rec teams do it, the HS teams do it and the teams that don't do it are the ones who fall for it. Legal play. Bush league if you ask me but legal.

One thing that a few guys have their teams do now is this: Regardless of number of runners on base, the batter runner, upon flying out will continue to run the base path at full speed and all the way to second base which causes mass confusion if you aren't expecting it. Both for the umpires and the defense.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
The NFHS once had a ruling (I don't think it's in the book any longer) that said if this was done silently, it's legal.  But yelling that the ball is loose is verbal OBS.

In OBR and NCAA, good luck, completely legal.