Author Topic: Goodbye to knickers  (Read 40052 times)

Offline pgh guy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-8
Goodbye to knickers
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:30:51 PM »
The NCAA Collegiate Commissioners have voted to do away with knickers for the upcoming season.  Black pants will now become the standard uniform and will be work with short or long sleeve shirts.  We should all see the savings as they don't fade or turn yellow.  The makers of Oxi-Clean are not happy... nAnA
I love this game!

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
Re: Goodbye to knickers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
I was wondering if this was going to happen. I received a sale e-mail from Honig's last week where all knickers were half price. Wonder if the 2" striped shirts will be next?

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:45:59 PM »
That explains the cheap knickers. Interesting change.

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
I was wondering if this was going to happen. I received a sale e-mail from Honig's last week where all knickers were half price. Wonder if the 2" striped shirts will be next?
2" striped shirts are already confirmed for next year.

Offline gsrc

• FAN REACTION: +85/-16
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »
So I assume then that they will make a summer version of the black pants and a cold version, right? Not sure the "foul weather" black pants would be good when it's in the 80's. Wonder if this will trickle down to NFHS/state level soon?

Offline VA-Ump

• <><
  • FAN REACTION: +25/-10
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:47:26 PM »
My thoughts exactly... as hot as the knickers are, at least they are white.  My "foul weather" blacks are pretty thick too.
Goodness is the enemy of Greatness

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?... John Wooden

fbljuj

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:31:03 PM »
2" striped shirts are already confirmed for next year.
Is that official? I have not seen anything on this.

Grant - AR

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »
Not sure the "foul weather" black pants would be good when it's in the 80's.

80s?  I would love for my first few games of the year to be in the 80s.  I've seen 100s down here in the south for day or night games.   :D

Offline 6310 Forever

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:23:59 PM »
Honestly, you're kidding, right?  Please say it ain't so. . . . .

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »
Done deal, got confirmation from a coordinator today...

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
Is that official? I have not seen anything on this.

Yes, this change came out at the beginning of this past season to give us a year to be ready for the change.

LittleWhistle

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:25:19 PM »
This is great news, but I really hope a manufacturer will produce some lightweight/summer ones.  Field temp in aug/sept on around noon is in the 100's at least on turf down south.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »
Remember, be careful of what you wish for.

Everyone clamored for knickers, now you got 'em!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »
Remember, be careful of what you wish for.

Everyone clamored for knickers, now you got 'em!

I think I was the only one clamoring for knickers!

Offline RicFlairWoo

• FAN REACTION: +10/-7
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:21:30 PM »
Ahhhhh!!!  The freedom of going "Commando" on a warm Saturday afternoon!  LMAO!!    :!# :!# :!#

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 04:25:29 AM »
We are not changing in Germany - I'm going shopping!
Can someone please give me a run down on the Western, Athletic, Elite and Regular?

Offline With_Two_Flakes

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • British American Football Referees Association
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 07:46:28 AM »
Quote from: Welpe
That explains the cheap knickers.

Well, the New Year is a traditional time of year to have a sale, and I guess as the football season in the US has just finished, it's an even more sensible time to have a football sale. I've been to Honigs warehouse in Ann Arbor many times, it always looks like it's bursting at the seams. I expect they'll have deliveries of a ton of baseball/softball stuff anytime now and need space for it. Not much demand for football stuff for the next 6 months, so clear it out in a Sale. I'd guess 90% of their customers are high school guys so I don't think the decision of the NCAA to go to black pants is the driving force behind this Sale. I wouldn't reckon that is the reason some of their football socks are on sale either.
Flags ^flag are on sale too, are the NCAA changing the colour of flags and I missed the announcement?   ;)

Quote from: James
Can someone please give me a run down on the Western, Athletic, Elite and Regular?

Athletic - more roomy in the "booty" department. I'm bigger than average, but the athletic cut were a bit baggy on me. J-Lo would probably get the Athletic cut, I didn't need to.

Western - has jeans style pockets rather than the pockets at the side. Claimed they look better because the pockets dont "pooch out". I don't see it, on me I thought the western style pockets looked even worse than regular pockets. I didn't like 'em, I prefer the pockets at the side.

Elite - better quality material than the regular. They are sized in inches 32,34,36, etc rather than the usual S, M, L.  As all the white knickers seem to be the same price 21.95, you'd be mad not to get the best quality ones you can. The Elite pants are what I wear.
Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »

Grant - AR

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 09:35:39 AM »
This thread has gotten the attention of Uniwatch.

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2011/02/03/college-football-officiating-crews-to-wear-black-slacks-in-2011/

I was wondering why we have had so many guests this morning.  There have been 65 in the past 15 minutes.

Offline mnref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »
I also understand that the U will stay in his regular position next year and that the keys for the B/H/L will change in the trips formation.  B will have third receiver in and the L or H will take the 2nd receiver in.  B will take 3rd and 4th receivers if formation has 4 receivers to one side.

fbljuj

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 03:13:33 PM »
The attachment is pretty official. I can NOT believe we have to wear black pants in 90+ degree weather. they are hot as hell, also we all have to be on the field 60 min. before kickoff, why? I must be getting old because some things just don't make sense.

Edit by Grant - AR:  I deleted the attachment because it had some personal information from the supervisor that I'm not sure needed to be posted on a public forum.  Here is the meat of the attachment:

Update 2-1-11

Division 1 Coordinators met in Phoenix, January 30 and 31, 2011. 

David Parry officially retired, and Rogers Redding began his tenure as National Coordinator.  I know you join me in thanking Mr. Parry for his leadership and in wishing him well as he and Pat enter this stage of their lives.

Steve Shaw (SEC) and Rosie Amato (MEAC) attended their first such meeting.  The Southern Conference has not yet named a replacement for Don Lucas, who resigned after 18 years as the SoCon Coordinator.   Don will continue as the Coordinator in the Sun Belt.

Beginning in 2011, the official uniform for college football will be the 2” striped shirt and long black pants.  We will wear the black pants with either the short or long sleeve shirts.  We will not wear knickers at all.  This is confirmed.  Plan and acquire accordingly.

The umpire position will NOT change. 

There will be a change in keys.  When we have trips, B will take the 3rd receiver in, and the wing will take the 2nd receiver.  If we have 4 receivers, B will take the 3rd and 4th from the end.  This will be reflected in the mechanics manual for 2011.  We will talk about this change at length at the clinic.

Beginning in 2011, all 7 officials will be on the field at 60:00 and remain as long as both teams are out.  If one or both teams leave, the crew will leave as well, and return no later than 5:00. 

The CFO website will be enhanced to include a searchable rule book, illustrative videos and more.  It will become a great resource for us, and I hope you were candid in your feedback for this site. 

The date of this meeting was changed this year so that it was held before the Rules Committee meets in Indianapolis next week.  Coordinators have made several suggestions for changes.  As a member of the Editorial Sub-Committee for rules, I will attend the Rules Committee meeting next week, and give you a report.

Thank you for your commitment to OVC Football.

JJ
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:54:05 PM by Grant - AR »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 03:44:26 PM »
Long black pants in August and September in the south... hmmm... it makes me glad I retired last year!  ::)
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

chymechowder

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »
The attachment is pretty official. I can NOT believe we have to wear black pants in 90+ degree weather. they are hot as hell, also we all have to be on the field 60 min. before kickoff, why? I must be getting old because some things just don't make sense.

you don't think this means we'll need to be there more than 3 hrs before kickoff for DIII games, do you?

El Macman

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
you don't think this means we'll need to be there more than 3 hrs before kickoff for DIII games, do you?

NCAA rules require that we be out there beginning 1 hour before K/O, when both teams are present. Were you not already sending at least a couple of guys out at 1 hour? The only change is that now the whole crew goes out at 1 hour. There may still have been some hold-outs, as far only sending out two at a time; but, many, if not most, FBS conferences have been sending the whole crew out for many years now.

So, if you were already sending out folks at 1 hour, it shoudln't change your pre-game schedule. If you weren't, then you'll need to adjust your schedule, but I don't think you'll need to be there more than 3 hours ahead.

Diablo

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »
The whole crew will go out onto the field at minus 60 min.  What brought this about?

What do 7 guys do for the hour?